Maestronet Forums

Value of my instruments

Picanini

Good day all,

I have recently acquired an old cello and violin that came with an estate. I am asking the experts what value they might hold ... hold or keep?

The Cello is a Johannes Kohl made in Geigenbau - Bayerisch, West Germany in 1983. Model # 45414 ... it's in a "kindly used" condition and comes in a (forgive me) crappy yet sturdy brown vinyl bag.

The violin looks like a 3/4 size (and needs restringing) it's a E. R. ?pretszchner, mitterwald, OBB. Scherl and Roth Inc. (Cleveland, OH) handmade copy of Antonicus Stradivarius (West germany). serial # 62-1999, year 1962. The sign inside reads "This Instrument is constructed and shop adjusted to Menc Specifications". The chin piece is a D.R.G.M. No.72940 with caspari patent pegs. It's a little beaten up/well worn ... but then, my hubby is 50 too and he sometimes feels a bit beat up and well worn too.

Looking forward to your expertise and feedback! Should I sell or keep?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your time.

Picanini

...The violin...[is] a E. R. ?pretszchner, mitterwald, OBB. Scherl and Roth Inc. (Cleveland, OH) handmade copy of Antonicus Stradivarius (West germany). serial # 62-1999, year 1962. The sign inside reads "This Instrument is constructed and shop adjusted to Menc Specifications"...

I'm not familiar with your cello, but I've seen a lot of these violins. They were cheaply made and often used in school programs and for rentals. You should be able to look up what they sell for on Ebay. If it's in good condition and properly set up with good strings, it has a minimal utilitarian value to someone who's looking for a cheap 3/4 -- maybe around $100.

Thank you Brad Dorsey and Fellow for your constructive responses. I appreciate the time you both took to give me some insight into these two pieces and a little of your world. To the non-expert they are attractive old pieces (just like the hubby) and make for a beautiful display in my library. Who knows, maybe when I find the time I should seek out a local cello teacher and learn to truly enjoy the instrument for what it is. Or maybe I will donate them both to a school or a said child who's parents are struggling. Excellent idea! Thanks again! :rolleyes: