christian bayon

Do you have a Portuguese violin, viola or cello?

Since 1990 I´m working on history of violin-making in Portugal. If you have an instrument made before 1960 in Portugal or any information about violin-maker here, please contact me.

Thank you.

MANFIO   

I met a friend some weeks ago and he was working in an old fine Portuguese violin, never had a seen a fine Portuguese violin like that, I will ask him about it.

lyndon   

cant speak much for portugese violins, but since i used to make clavichords (baroque keyboards) its very interesting note that portugal was one of the three main centres for clavichord building, the one we hear about because of bach etc is germany/austria, but the clavichord was also very popular in scandinavia and portugal, then to a lesser extent in spain and italy and virtually unheard of in france and england(whereas the harpsichord was popular in all these countries).

i never had the opportunity to make a portugese model clavichord but i had the plan for one and offered it in my catalog along with almost ten german models. one characteristic of many portugese clavichords was a design that fitted a lot of keys into a relatively small case compared to german or scandinavian designs, perhaps focusing on portability.

heres a link to a performance of portugese clavichord music, carlos seixas, im not sure if the instrument is a portugese model.

DelG66   

Since 1990 I´m working on history of violin-making in Portugal. If you have an instrument made before 1960 in Portugal or any information about violin-maker here, please contact me.

Thank you.

Interesting wood , special hand carving /machine less/, clean varnish. Also I like your violin free personality . I am from Hungary , so I know economy problems... Anyway ,you can email me: / mistermg_5@hotmail.com /

Dear Christian,

I had a good long think, which old Portugese violin makers I knew and came to the conclusion that I had never ever seen a portugese violin at all.

In the first volume of Lütgendorff, there is only one single page devoted to Portugal, as a kind of annex to Spain. Lütgendorff mentions Souza, Dinis and Galrao along with a several music store owners.

Beer in his “Geigengeschichten” reports that Hamma found that there was a surprisingly large number of Klotz vioins there.

Do you have any old Portugese instruments that you could post so we can see what they look like?

Do you know many other good portugese makers that escaped Lütgendorffs attention,or are you going to write a very thin book?

It is not a "great school" but I have around 40 makers I have seen instrument, and more I found in libraries.

The best one is Galrão (or Galram) and many of the others seems to be self-taught.

But it is not because it is a small school nobody should study it!

I had my five minutes of glory in expertise,many years ago, when Charles Beare ask for my opinion about a Galram viola.

It will be probably the only case he will need me for an expertise! :lol:

But it is not because it is a small school nobody should study it!

Quite the opposite, I for instance would like to know what a

Galrão (or Galram) looks like

Cypriano Antonio - Lisbon - c.1753

Dr. Alfred Bensande - Lisbon - c.1905

G. Henri Bettencourt - Horta - c.1900

Jose Domingo Brandao - Lisbon - c.1940

Manoel Correa - Lisbon - c.1660

Antonio C. da Cruz-Abrantes - Villa Nove de Tazem - c.1920

Antonio Joseph da Cruz-Mura - Porto - c.1860

Joaquim D'Almedia - Lisbon - c.1895

Joao Joze De Souza - Lisbon - c.1750

Felis Antonio Dinis - Lisbon - c.1800

Ernesto Galram - Lisbon - c.1825

Joaquin Jose Galram - Lisbon - c.1775

Pedro (?) Haas - Lisbon - c.1810

Henriquez Montiero - Lisbon - c.1900

Nicolo de Oliviera - Lisbon - c.1580

Santos Manuel Pereira - Lisbon - c.1880

Antonio Josquin Sanhudo - Porto - c.1850

Sebastiao Sanhudo - Porto - c.1860

Antonio Santos - Coimbra - c.1865

Teixeira - Porto - c.1815

Martin Goelhos Vasquez - Lisbon - c.1475

Daniel Wagner - Lisbon - c.1890

Erneska Victor Wagner - Lisbon - c.1890

Hermann Wagner - Lisbon - c.1900

All of this individuals are listed in a violin makers database as "Instrument Makers" and some of makers of "Viols and Lutes". Maybe someone in here is not included in your list thus far.

Best of luck with your work! :)

Lusitano   

I hope this does not constitute revival of a dormant thread...

My main instrument is a supposedly azorean or french origen ( I would say french as the wood it is constructed out of is not Azorean) family heirloom violin dating back to at least the 1890s with no maker's label anywhere inside as far as I can see.

Traditional Azorean musical arrangements dating back to the pre republic era frequently included violin (Rebeca) pieces and ensembles (I believe due to the influence and influx of foreigners with violin playing abilities traveling on route to the americas and occasionally settling on the islands as was the case with my greatx3 grandfather?). I seem to recall a very , apparently, old Azorean produced violin as well as a piece of history on a supposed luthier at Vila Franca do Campo's museum in Sao Miguel Island. I can get you contacts for the museuum as well as stop by your atelier with my instrument if you are still interested.

On 5/30/2012 at 1:29 PM, christian bayon said:

It is not a "great school" but I have around 40 makers I have seen instrument, and more I found in libraries.

What will or can be the name of this school?  I'm interested.  Are the working habits French, Italian, English or Spanish?  I don't mind joining up with the minority, if possible.  

On 2012-5-28 at 7:16 PM, christian bayon said:

Thank you.

I'll have a look in Braga museums, city hall, and libraries, but never seen one except Capela violins and violas.