two-piece end buttons

Hello everyone,

First, let me say thank you for all the help people have given towards finding materials and parts etc.

It is very much appreciated.

And now,

Does anyone know of a source for two-piece, removable end buttons, other then having them custom made?

I've come across a handful over the years, but I would like to have a ready supply.

Secondly, is there a reason these guys have fallen out of favor? The potential buzz is the only thing that comes to mind, and I've never heard that on violins that have these.

The ability to look inside an instrument while fully set-up seems to me to be a pretty big benefit.

Picture follows.

post-24710-0-39682200-1337885114_thumb.jpg

Thanks again.

I do believe part of the difficulty is in the extra engineering and labor it takes to make everything fit together. I've seen them most often made of aluminum and that makes sense in terms of manufacture and yet less so aesthetically. The neck of the outer shell becomes rather thin when you allow for a big enough pin to see through. A donut of wood this thin is prone to cracking both in use and in manufacture. The tighter the fit of the center pin the more support but the more difficulty with removal especially with expansion and contraction of wood. If someone made a pin out of anodized aluminum stained black that might be an attractive idea. I'll probably see Mr Clemente of Bogaro and Clemente at the VSA Convention. Might be a decent suggestion for him since he already makes black aluminum hardware for chinrest feet.

I recall reading that some of the endpins with a hole through the middle were in fact a small pitch pipe tuned to A 440. Just blow through the endhole and tune the violin. Handy for school situations.

yes, I have one in my collection of stuff, apparently the reed can go sharp or flat.....

how about an end pin with a hotel door peep hole? cute at the very least.....

I do believe part of the difficulty is in the extra engineering and labor it takes to make everything fit together. I've seen them most often made of aluminum and that makes sense in terms of manufacture and yet less so aesthetically. The neck of the outer shell becomes rather thin when you allow for a big enough pin to see through. A donut of wood this thin is prone to cracking both in use and in manufacture. The tighter the fit of the center pin the more support but the more difficulty with removal especially with expansion and contraction of wood. If someone made a pin out of anodized aluminum stained black that might be an attractive idea. I'll probably see Mr Clemente of Bogaro and Clemente at the VSA Convention. Might be a decent suggestion for him since he already makes black aluminum hardware for chinrest feet.

Good point. I can see that the engineering aspect would be prohibitive, especially for such a small, inexpensive part. How many would you have to break before you gave up?

Please let us know what Mr. Clemente says about it.

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

First, let me say thank you for all the help people have given towards finding materials and parts etc.

It is very much appreciated.

And now,

Does anyone know of a source for two-piece, removable end buttons, other then having them custom made?

I've come across a handful over the years, but I would like to have a ready supply.

Secondly, is there a reason these guys have fallen out of favor? The potential buzz is the only thing that comes to mind, and I've never heard that on violins that have these.

The ability to look inside an instrument while fully set-up seems to me to be a pretty big benefit.

Picture follows.

post-24710-0-39682200-1337885114_thumb.jpg

Thanks again.

Hi arglebargle,

Your end-pin in the photograph is like the one I installed on the "Cannon" and the hole is big enough to see how the post is standing. The rest can be done with a light and a mirror.

The pin was made by Bogaro and Clemente.

Bruce