Maestronet Forums

Curious about this violin

T Ford

This violin is for sale in my town for $1000. She says all it says inside is "Da Vinci".

http://kamloops.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-string-Da-Vinci-Violin-W0QQAdIdZ354128594

Could anyone shed any light on to what this may be, what it's worth or anything else? I'll probably go try it out soon, however it is a bit of a drive to get to where it is at.

Thank you!

Just wait to get some feedback from members of maestronet who are really professional before taking a decision but from what I see it looks like a violin that are made by hundreds. A little bit like the first one I bought for £50 about 7 years ago. the pictures are not great (and by itself that is a sign in my opinion) but the varnish looks really "plastic".

It might sound ok mind you, but unfortunately this is something you would only find out after paying the $1000.

Edit. Martin said it all I think.

Yeap, really no way to know what you are getting ...

6767676.jpg

On the other hand you do get a reasonale case with space for four bows

a new-looking instrument with Dominant strings

and two bows (maybe the purple one glows in the dark?)

Perhaps you could do better closer to home with your $1000 but maybe not.

How far is a bit of a drive?

Well, thanks for the info. I'm not actually looking for a violin right now, but this was one of the more intriguing ads that came up locally and recently. I know nothing about lutherie or how to judge a violin by its looks alone, other than the most obvious signs. It sounds like it's not even worth the hour round trip drive to try out. Maybe I'll post a pic of my three acoustics for you guys to check out soon.

It sounds like an " old Italian" violin., but I know Da Vince had made a lot of things now I know Da Vince also made violin?

For a $1,000 bucks it may be worth that much regardless who made it. I would play it in a reasonable size (big) room first.

Some violin sound usually gets lost in a big room. You do not want to be

disappointed after you paid for it.