Sign in to follow this  
GoldenPlate

Is there something special with this violin?

I agree with Jacob, the logical end-point is that everyone would be forced to bid to their limit. What if I need to take a leak in the middle of a sale, am I artificially depressing the sale price by missing the item?

As for policing bidding rings, sodomy used to be illegal between consenting adults. However, the law proved impossible to enforce and has been abandoned, at least in the UK!

Hm, maybe slightly more parallels with bidding cartels than I planned ....

Until an obligation to bid is introduced, "implicit collusion" is hardly going to have a consiquence, is it?

Theoretically speaking, if two parties who otherwise don't know each other have interest in the same lot, they'd most likely engage in adversarial bidding.

Two parties who are friends as you state, won't participate in adversarial bidding.

Got to account for the difference in theoretical results somehow.

I agree with Jacob, the logical end-point is that everyone would be forced to bid to their limit. What if I need to take a leak in the middle of a sale, am I artificially depressing the sale price by missing the item?

As for policing bidding rings, sodomy used to be illegal between consenting adults. However, the law proved impossible to enforce and has been abandoned, at least in the UK!

Hm, maybe slightly more parallels with bidding cartels than I planned ....

Hope you are not upset if I decline the invitation :P

There are partnerships and there are pools.

A hypothetical partnership might include 4 wholesalers who attend all the auctions in a wide geographical area whenever there are musical instruments offered. They each take turns covering the auctions and everything they buy and sell at public auction is split four ways....

You are correct. partnerships (legal) and pools (illegal anti trust actions) are different things...

When it comes to partnerships, I imagine those who are not part of the arrangement may have imaginations that run wild. There are countless reasons to partner. One simple reason might be that an instrument needs attention. A restorer and dealer have mutual need in this case. Another might be financial needs (being able to afford this piece and still afford another).

It's all very nice to imagine a number of scenarios, but I have a feeling that if the stories were actually known, the reasons for various partnerships might be a bit more mundane than many suspect.

Jesse (Pahdahound),

While I really enjoy your company outside the Skinner doorway in the sunshine on sale days, :) this time your imagination has got the better of ya.

I bought that fiddle...it really is composite and I did not buy it in consort with any other dealers. Sorry to dissapoint, but it was just another boring day at the office.

Cheers and take care,

Chris

I really enjoy your company outside the Skinner doorway in the sunshine on sale days

Smokers?

We really have to stamp out that smokers' cartel, God knows what evil plans they're hatching in the doorway .... it really puts us non-smokers at a disadvantage. After all, whose interests are the auction houses supposed to protect?

One of the good things about Maestronet is that one is most likely able to find a satisfied answer from this forum

:)

Definitely one will be able to find a self-satisfied answer from this forum.

I was especially surprised by this Voirin violin bow which has a 'France' stamp receiving the catalogue designation as 'by'. It sold for $8000.

Stamping the country of origin was required by the McKinley Tariff Act of 1890. Voirin died in 1885. Something doesn't add up....

Perhaps they were sold after his death by his widow who still ran the shop with Claude Thomassin? (i think).

Good to keep in mind that:

McKinley Tariff Required country of origin, but many, many post McKinley items do not have country of origin stamps,

and

a country of origin stamp does not necessarily mean post-McKinley Act.