Sign in to follow this  
Don Noon

What's on your bench? Mk4

As I understand it, Melvin's intention was not to make the ribs vertical and square ;)

I've been thinking about making a similar mold for my next violin which will be based on the lord wilton.

Matthias

I once made a 3 part mould and the think was I was able to plane the ribs and the corner block because there was some support. then I thought I would rather go back to a single part one to get some freedom in the symmetry. this means I have 3 almost identical molds. But then I use a sanding board to get ribs and corner flat.

the violin on the left is the one I started to make with the 3 parts, while the garlands of the 2 others used respectively the lower and upper parts as single mould.

post-29661-0-43200000-1335792458_thumb.jpg

a layer of ethanol/sanderswood or ethanol/brazilwood followed by a layer of sun-thickened perilla oil and 2 layers of rosin/Venice turpentine/linseed oil varnish.

post-29661-0-95276100-1335829029_thumb.jpg

wm.,

Looks ready...sealed with...?

on we go,

Joe

Caramel stain, lime mixed with water, then spruce resin dissolved in alcohol. The caramel stain and lime darken the wood without turning it an ugly yellow. Also, I haven't had any problems with this procedure burning in the flame on the maple. I doesn't show too well in this picture because I'm not holding the violin next to an unstained piece of wood for comparison but the wood has been darkened quite a bit.

What does it do?

its an old craftsmen metal lathe with a Porsche engine for a motor. the motor is a over kill. but got it and the controller at a good price.

No 15 primed and two coats of mineral ground using Koen Paddings products for 1st time.

Thanks for posting the photos...I would like to try his primer...which one did you choose?

how easy was the application?...looks nice and even.

Did you use the sandarac or amber varnish for the ground?...please post more photos when your finished.

-Ernie

Replicating a wildly asymmetric rib structure of a Goffriller viola using a 3 piece mold. .....Making the mold took a lot more time than making the ribs.

Beautiful as always. Are you using a one piece lower rib?

Ernie, It's the Linea Cremonese primer (4) application is simple, just wipe the surface with a damp sponge, taking care not to leave streaks. The ground is the sandarac varnish with added pumice.

how easy was the application?...looks nice and even.Did you use the sandarac or amber varnish for the ground?-Ernie

Thanks Mike, I'm not really that sure what I'm doing if the truth be know.unsure.gif This is the second attempt at varnishing this fiddle, the first was with a Fulton varnish I made myself which was a disaster, too brittle and dark, so I've decided to concentrate on other things for the moment and take the easy route for a while. Koen knows what he's doing, not me. smile.gif

You know what you are doing for sure. Great look.

Stay Tuned.

Mike

Beautiful as always. Are you using a one piece lower rib?

Hi Walter,

Yes a one piece rib....I always like to save time and effort by avoiding a join. The upper bouts would have been one piece too but the rib was not long enough by 2mm after cutting the C ribs from it so I cut it in half and left a gap where the neck root will be as you can see. One thing I should say is that because the rib structure is so angled and asymmetric I used a rib much wider than the whole form to accommodate the twists and then trimmed of the varied excess.

Nice cat, Joe! Mine was helping me out last night, too.

post-23932-0-38398800-1336005061_thumb.jpg

they are so helpful when varnishing.....................................