Sign in to follow this  
Don Noon

What's on your bench? Mk4

At 6 months and 20 pages, the time for retiring a thread seems in order. To keep continuity, here's a link to the last page of the Mk3 thread.

This may not be too inspiring to many others, but for me it's an interesting point... closing the box of #10, my (hopefully) VSA competition fiddle, which is a newly designed model for me. As usual, it is not a copy of anything, but a blend of various ideas. This one is slightly larger, and slightly more Straddish than before.

post-25192-0-33782600-1334763647_thumb.jpgpost-25192-0-29314100-1334763645_thumb.jpg

Corners, edges, and final scrapedown I'm leaving for the last minute, just before varnishing. And the top is just barely glued on, so making modifications won't be traumatic.

The top is processed Engelmann, from my most recent batch, and wasn't taken to toasty brown; it's more of an orange-brown, which looks more like natural old wood than something that has been through an inferno. Back and sides are rather high-density European maple, blazing white, which I'll have to tan in the sun or lightbox and possibly add a very light stain. I'll post all details when I get done, rather than spread out the information in various posts.

Looks nice Don,lots of information,I'd be careful with posting pic's for a contest entry though, I seem to recall reading somewhere that judges are not allowed to see ,or know of the violins being judged,as this knowledge could influence their decision making process.Double blind......

Alrighty then... into secrecy I go.

I suppose I could post technical details, which nobody on Earth (even me) could connect to a specific instrument. No photos, tho...

Looking forward to reading more info about this new model, like outline dims...if and when you post. Best of luck at VSA...I'm thinking of attending Tucson this year, will you be there?

-Ernie

Nice back wood, Don.

Yeah, I like it too... bought it recently for $15 from Bill Fulton or another retiring guy in SCAVM. Sometimes it pays to show up at meetings.

Aren't the corners quite long or is it my eyes or the picture perspective?

Yes, they are ~1mm or so longer than the final design. I leave a lot of things for finalizing immediately before varnishing, in case I ding it up, and I see more things to fuss with the longer I have to look at it.

Now thats what I like to see on the end of a pegbox . Salve there is a Japanese woodcarver here in Tasmania working until December , so I am going to get a few lessons. I like the detail that goes in at the end , just a nick or small mark makes a difference.

cheers Adam

Not as aggressive as I aimed for. That's usually how it turns out. But not purring!

Love him, super clean. What is that wood? its looks very buttery, not Maple?

Jezzupe, it's normal maple. The buttery look may come from its nonpolished state.

Ah, I see, flameless, probably good for the carving of the creature. Does he have a name? one wonders.

My #7, after the Milanollo, about two weeks ago in my small garden-house workshop. Now strung up, very nice sound.

In the background, #8 after the Viotti Strad. The outside archings are almost finished now.

post-23716-0-48223100-1334828130_thumb.jpg

My #7, after the Milanollo, about two weeks ago in my small garden-house workshop. Now strung up, very nice sound.

In the background, #8 after the Viotti Strad. The outside archings are almost finished now.

post-23716-0-48223100-1334828130_thumb.jpg

Nice varnish. Made or bought?

Today is a good day. My beautiful 9 year old grand daughter read a chapter of her book at 6:30 am.

Then I pulled the Conte Vitali viola out of the UV box and began polishing. For me, this is the most fun part of violin making.

I only put on one coat of clear varnish for the last coat. so I am concerned about polishing too much.

Can't wait to string it up and play it.

Not as aggressive as I aimed for. That's usually how it turns out. But not purring!

I have to ask- how does one carve teeth like that? Looks like a challenging thing to do! Also I think he looks plenty ferocious by the way.

Viola drying outside with Mt. Ogden in the background. Kinda overcast but the sun is supposed to pop out today.

Mon Dieu! The scenery AND the viola.