Sign in to follow this  
TimRobinson

Roberto Regazzi violin

Just looking at this very large photo of a Roberto Regazzi violin. The edges of the back, in particular, seem to show lamination, or is it a scribe mark?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Tim

It is a fabulous piece of work - makes me wonder why on earth I bother trying to make anything.

gowan   

Just looking at this very large photo of a Roberto Regazzi violin. The edges of the back, in particular, seem to show lamination, or is it a scribe mark?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Tim

It is a fabulous piece of work - makes me wonder why on earth I bother trying to make anything.

Don't be discouraged. There were great luthiers whose work was nowhere near so clean and neat, e.g. Guarneri del Gesu and Maggini.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Tim

/quote]

Hi Tim

It's the result of bad layering in photoshop or similar type program. This could well be a pro shot. I had one come in with 8 pegs after everything else had been sorted from a combination of shots and exposures....bring back film and getting it right...re mastered digital shots always look bad.

Just curious. Why do you feel that it's a fabulous piece of work?

Dear David,

You clearly have never seen anything I made :D

Seriously, I like, and am in awe of, the precision of everything I see in the instrument. To me it demonstrates a mastery of violin making that I will never even get close to. I like the choice of timber, the edgework, the corners and the scroll. I'm partially colour blind so judgement of varnish may not be very good, but to me it looks great.

Regards,

Tim

Tim,

This is most definitely a scribe line. Scribe lines around the edge can be seen on many classic cremonese instruments, however not in the same fashion

as on this violin. Usually the scribe line is not very visible and was used to mark the boundary for the channel over the purfling. Hope this helps.

Anthony

Tim,

This is most definitely a scribe line. Scribe lines around the edge can be seen on many classic cremonese instruments, however not in the same fashion

as on this violin. Usually the scribe line is not very visible and was used to mark the boundary for the channel over the purfling. Hope this helps.

Anthony

Not in this case. It is from Photoshop or similar...

If that's the case, how come the color is burned in around the scribe line? I'm not a Photoshop expert, but I downloaded this and took a look on my good monitor, and the line looks like this all the way around, full scale. I don't know any way to produce a look like that accidentally with photo-editing software, but I do know how to do it far too easily with ground stain and torn grain from a scriber.

post-23499-0-02407300-1332986764_thumb.jpg

If that's the case, how come the color is burned in around the scribe line? I'm not a Photoshop expert, but I downloaded this and took a look on my good monitor, and the line looks like this all the way around, full scale. I don't know any way to produce a look like that accidentally with photo-editing software, but I do know how to do it far too easily with ground stain and torn grain from a scriber.

It looked to me like a scribe mark to assist with an even curve on the edges, like the kind I aspire to achieve :) If so, is this a common practice? Why not use pencil?

Tim

Addie   

I’m not a luthier, but I made a living for many years using Creative Suite, and this is not a digital artifact... B)

What are those pegs made out of, that has so many pores?

I don't think it's a digital artifat - if it was, I'd expect to see it on the button. Also, the change of direction on the corners is sharper than the transition on the edge of the instrument, which suggests the line was scribed or drawn before the corners were finally shaped, and that it's not some kind of "halo" derived from the outline of the photo.

Tim, why not email the maker? I'm sure he'd be delighted to comment ....

This ones the same! Looks like a overly deep scribe use to me,though i dont know about photoshop layering.

If it is a scribe its awfully close to the edge for my liking.In the photo it looks like the edge has been rounded a bit too much to try and get rid of the scribe line.

regazzi

Ah....yes I stand corrected. Thanks :) :)

Because Violins by Roberto Regazzi show great personality and following of the Bolognese tradition and school.

That is a bid unique this days.

Michael , that may be so, Poggi`s often have distinctive scribe lines remaining but not that close to the edge! :)

Yes you are right. Well i give him a call this afternoon and tell him. Maybe he join us here personal.

Yes you are right. Well i give him a call this afternoon and tell him. Maybe he join us here personal.

I had hoped there might be an unfettered discussion of the style from the viewpoint of various observers, since it's different from Cremonese. I guess that'll be the end of that. ;)

Will L   

It looked to me like a scribe mark to assist with an even curve on the edges, like the kind I aspire to achieve :) If so, is this a common practice? Why not use pencil?

Tim

It is a common practice. What's odd here is that since the scribe line usually describes where the crest will be; here it is outside of that (near the button at least the crest seems well inside, not so much around the upper-left corner of the top) and should have disappeared in rolling the edge. Maybe he scribed too deeply, or didn't roll the edge very quickly? Some people do use pencil, but it gets lost sometimes in the working.

My very quick observations are that the button does not have the chamfer I expect. The c-bouts seem to be "shallow" by which I mean they make a tighter curve than what I would do.

As for the line around the edge, I have done this once by running my finger around the edge to remove varnish. Maybe that is what we are seeing. I agree that it is not an artifact of any digital image app.

Stay Tuned.

Mike

PS: Overall it is quite nice.

I had hoped there might be an unfettered discussion of the style from the viewpoint of various observers, since it's different from Cremonese. I guess that'll be the end of that. ;)

I’m really grateful to Regazzi for (translating and) publishing, back in 1986, the “Manuscript on Violin Making, by G. A. Marchi, Bologna 1786”, a fascinating book which I have read and reread many times. The kind of dedication neaded to do that, I think, underlines his claim to be in the line of an old Bolognese tradition.

Since nobody else wanted to pick up David’s gauntlet, I’m not to sure that I like how the outline of the top bouts, harmonise with the outline of the bottom ones, but perhaps one shouldn’t criticise.

I’m not a luthier, but I made a living for many years using Creative Suite, and this is not a digital artifact... B)

What are those pegs made out of, that has so many pores?

I try to only chime in when it's a subject that I'm somewhat familiar with. In this case I was puzzled and wondering the same as you. The tailpiece looks like African blackwood, though it's kind of gray. but the pores in the pegs look like it's a regular species of palisander rosewood. There are some examples of rosewood that get that dark. Seems like too large a set of pores for matching pegs of blackwood (both blackwood and palisander are dalbergias) but the collars and saddle on the tailpiece look to be of the same materail indicating a matching set.

Here's a reply to an email I sent to Roberto Regazzi asking him to comment ... I like his approach very much. Personally I can't understand why there isn't more 'regionalism' in violin-making, or subtle self-expression like Regazzi's "frame".

Dear Martin,

thank you for your information.

I can definitely assure you that it is nothing to do with photoshop! ;)

The markings left on the border by the method I've used are found also on

other examples of our Bolognese tradition. Sometimes are left more

superficial or disappeared, but I personally consider this feature already part

of my style. Since I don't leave usually many other toolmarks around I like to

leave at least this sort of "frame" when I find it appropriate.

Sorry that my website doesn't offer more in these days, but I'm working hard

at the moment and I don't have much time for focusing on my web display.

I am not a copyst (not even of myself !), so every instrument I make is a sort

of unique piece. I like to think that my sound is better than my maybe

uncremonese style, but the posterity will give the final judgement!

Most important for me now is to sullfill the requests of fine players.

Sorry again that I'm not on forums or facebook(s): I have too many things to

do during my short day! But I'm always happy to follow what I can.

Many greetings to everybody, and especially to David and Michael.

One day I'll come back to the States and I'll meet you all again!

Best Cheers!

R:)

One thing we may have lost, with our "melting pot" of sharing and instrument making today, is regionalism and schools of style.

What did the old traditional Ann Arbour school style look like then?