Maestronet Forums

paper for labels

violins88

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stangely, musians often appreciate some form of extra approval in authenticity or provenance, I think it's an ego thing for them.

My father is a maker, and he had the odd habit of asking famous players to sign his labels, as a kind of 'woo hoo look at my fancy label kinda gimmick thing'. I don't know if he still does that, but it never fooled me.

There was one guy at Newark who put a fake label in a new fiddle he made, 'Signor Bolognese di Cremona 1666' or somesuch, I thought it was funny. He was a good player too.

LaserJets use toner which is something like a plastic that fuses (melts) onto the paper. I have no idea how long it will last, but it does not smear with liquids. And I bet it is resistant to fading. The issue I think is the paper.

Anyhow here is a little trick that I do with my LaserJet. If you look in any of my violins through the end pin hole you will see my brand mark on the inside neck block with the correct year.

Below is a photo of one of my first tests done some years ago. My time flies. It seems like yesterday when I first did this.

The brand mark is taken from an ancient Roman coin. I replaced the Roman governor's name with mine and his year with the current one.

Stay Tuned.

Mike

Michael- Very nice idea to put your 'star' brand inside like that. I think it would be worthwhile to go for a real "burned in" brand. Have you considered having a metal one made? Of course, the drawback would be the changing date... but I think it would still be worth consideration.

Michael- Very nice idea to put your 'star' brand inside like that. I think it would be worthwhile to go for a real "burned in" brand. Have you considered having a metal one made? Of course, the drawback would be the changing date... but I think it would still be worth consideration.

Hi Ron,

A branding iron is not cost effective. I researched this in detail years ago. You pay a helluva lot of money for the engraving that is at a resolution too poor to my tastes. Sure I could make my own engraving, but again that is not time well spent.

My toner brands cost just pennies. I even put them everywhere :lol: even on my jigs and fixtures. These are over-coated with clear varnish or shellac to protect them from abrasion. Inside a violin abrasion is not an issue - well not normally anyhow. :D

Stay Tuned.

Mike

I think the cost of branding irons has come way down in the last few years?

I acquired a couple different nice brands for bridges late last year. I priced around and got quotes from 85USD to 160USD. I went with a couple different fonts @ 105USD each including shipping. Brand size is 11/16" x 1/8". Made of brass. I've added digital thermometers and they work very nicely.

Also built a nice jig for locating the brand on the bridge. Works very nicely. No screw-ups with mis-located or crooked placement; yet anyway.

Steve

I acquired a couple different nice brands for bridges late last year. I priced around and got quotes from 85USD to 160USD. I went with a couple different fonts @ 105USD each including shipping. Brand size is 11/16" x 1/8". Made of brass. I've added digital thermometers and they work very nicely.

Also built a nice jig for locating the brand on the bridge. Works very nicely. No screw-ups with mis-located or crooked placement; yet anyway.

Steve

I would appreciate your emailing me the website or name of your source. Or post here if that is acceptable.

jpschmidt44[AT]gmail.com

Thanks

I got a superb steel bridge stamp from Wayne Tumminello - a recommendation from Michael Darnton.

Wayne Tumminello

Illinois Engraving & Mfg. Co.

4530 N. Ravenswood Ave

Chicago, IL 60640

800-528-2050

773-728-4400

Fax 773-728-4438

IllinoisEngraving.com

They made the font size and style precisely to my specifications. B)

Stay Tuned.

Mike

I got a superb steel bridge stamp from Wayne Tumminello - a recommendation from Michael Darnton.

Wayne Tumminello

Illinois Engraving & Mfg. Co.

4530 N. Ravenswood Ave

Chicago, IL 60640

800-528-2050

773-728-4400

Fax 773-728-4438

IllinoisEngraving.com

They made the font size and style precisely to my specifications. B)

Stay Tuned.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks

John

With laser printers, the problem isn't that the ink fades (it's high-carbon), but that it will flake off over time due to temperature changes. The ink is in dry granular form --it's xerography really-- and there's no way for the ink to properly integrate with the substrate the way printer's paste ink does.

I do not use xerography to print on wood.

Temperature has little effect on wood dimensions.

You "think", but do you "know"? :)

I appreciate your earnest remark, but I am not interested in pursuing this unless someone explains (1) what I am doing is wrong, and (2) that there is better and cheaper alternative. <_<

There’s no need to go all Lyndon on me just because I don’t have the stats in front of me. mad.gif

The price of things like stamps and branding irons has been going down, due to better, cheaper technology. If you don’t care, ignore my post, please? YOU, of all people. bored.gif

There's no need to go all Lyndon on me just because I don't have the stats in front of me. mad.gif

The price of things like stamps and branding irons has been going down, due to better, cheaper technology. If you don't care, ignore my post, please? YOU, of all people. bored.gif

Addie,

Whoa. Ad hominens from YOU, of all people. bored.gif

Stay Tuned.

Mike

I would appreciate your emailing me the website or name of your source. Or post here if that is acceptable.

Thanks

JP,

This is not intended as an advertisement but I acquired my brands from:

Sean Broadbent

Buckeye Engraving

4485 Crystal Pkwy, Ste. 200

Kent, OH 44240

ph: 330-677-5685

fax: 330-677-3936

www.steelhandstamps.com

I am quite pleased so far.

post-31641-0-65899300-1332811699_thumb.jpg

post-31641-0-57845300-1332811714_thumb.jpg

post-31641-0-38697600-1332811958_thumb.jpg

JP,

This is not intended as an advertisement but I acquired my brands from:

Sean Broadbent

Buckeye Engraving

4485 Crystal Pkwy, Ste. 200

Kent, OH 44240

ph: 330-677-5685

fax: 330-677-3936

www.steelhandstamps.com

I am quite pleased so far.

DiFrangia,

Thanks for sending that.

John

DiFrangia,

Thanks for sending that.

John

John,

I did go back and find my invoice and they actually cost me 111USD each. I was working from memory on the price in my first post.

I plan to shoot a series of photos of the stages in branding with the fixture and post in few days when I get back to the bench. I can nail em spot on with the fixture

Branding iron temperature at this point seems to work best at 530-535F.

Steve

Very nice DF, did the fixture come with the stamp at that price ?

I can never seem to get my stamp sqaure otherwise.

Ben,

No, the fixture I built after branding a few practice bridges and not bring pleased with the outcome.. A semi-articulate sum-buck might be able to nail 'em every time by free-hand. A semi-articulate sum-buck I'm not. So I did a bit of engineering and came up with the fixture. As I've posted previously, I'm not a violin building/restoring prodigy wannabe, but love solving problems in whatever medium I'm currently involved with. Happens to be violins at this stage in my life. I applied my shadetree physics/engineering skills to this problem and came up with the fixture. I've been immersed in metal-manufacturing for the past forty five years and it was only natural for me to fabricate from metals/plastics for the fixture. Same fixture could be made from nice hardwoods and if I do more I'll probably work in some nice woods. Everything would work well but the area where the branding area nests through would possibly need to be lined with a metal to isolate the woods from the iron heat. I'll post in a new thread with a photo sequence of the alignment-branding process.

As some might preceive, I have a proclivity for hyphenated words. Maybe a handicap so I'm working on it.

Steve