Maestronet Forums

paper for labels

violins88

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to the art supply store and get rag paper that's acid free. I make some strong tea and put some sheets in a cake pan with the tea for a while and then lay out to dry. Has a nice look. If it's a little blotchy, all the better. If you can print a nice red border and maybe your name in dark red it looks really nice.

Oh by the way John, do you have any narrower knife blades maybe 1/4"? With the same steel as the one I got from you.

Berl

Tea is not acid free. Maple is not acid free. Hide glue is made up of amino acids. Just a thought.

In the U.S., most office stores carry Southworth paper, which come in 25% to 100% cotton, and a range of colors and textures. Laid paper is what all paper was before the 19th c., FWIW.

I use a defunct business card with a nice looking paper stock. I hand letter the date on it. It will last as long as the fiddle. You havet o use some pretty crummy paper for i to not last hundreds of years.

Speaking of papyrus, I used it instead of linen to reinforce cello ribs. It hasn't caused any problems. Seems to work fine. It might outlast the cello ;-)

Oded

I go to the art supply store and get rag paper that's acid free. I make some strong tea and put some sheets in a cake pan with the tea for a while and then lay out to dry. Has a nice look. If it's a little blotchy, all the better. If you can print a nice red border and maybe your name in dark red it looks really nice.

Oh by the way John, do you have any narrower knife blades maybe 1/4"? With the same steel as the one I got from you.

Berl

Thanks to all who have replied. I really appreciate your responses.

Berl, I have more of the O-1 steel. I think I still have your email address.

I do all my labels on some nice parchment paper i bought years ago - I know it was expensive when I purchased the parchment. I label everything with an oldfashioned ink nib and inkwell with a particular ink that would be very near impossible to replicate. Under UV light the ink glows with a particular hue.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get labels printed or a particular method of printing ? I do mine by hand with pen and ink but it's tricky. Considering having labels printed.....

I lay mine out using any drawing package. Then I print out a sheet on a laser printer. Cut them out and store a bunch. Before I glue one in I sign and date the label.

Stay Tuned.

Mike

How permanent is the laser printing ink? I seem to recall someone saying it wasn't.

It sits on the surface. But a good printer using the highest quality settings is almost as good as “real” printing. You could also have a rubber or zinc printing block made from your graphics.

Addie, the Italian one is very nice, I better move to Venice. :)

I'd not worry about the permanence of laser printing, I'll be long gone when it fades. Inside the instrument there's not much direct light.

I bought a few nice round stamps recently, to stamp my label, different colour inks.

The black ink Triskel stamp will be reserved for my best work.

I even bought some red wax.....dunno what I'm gonna do with that !

I use a high quality drawing paper, ink that supposedly won't fade and is acid free. I had a rubber stamp made with letters as close to those of Strad's labels as possible, just as a matter of personal taste. But there's still something missing from the rich look of the old labels.

Some years ago,James McKean wrote a nice article in Strings (or possibly Strad) about a wonderful way of duplicating the character of the old boys' labels. He went to where they made rubber stamps and got the brass die used to make the rubber stamp. Then he would place the paper and the inked block into a bench vise and press away. The indentation adds to the look

Trouble is that they don't make rubber stamps with those dies anymore.

LaserJets use toner which is something like a plastic that fuses (melts) onto the paper. I have no idea how long it will last, but it does not smear with liquids. And I bet it is resistant to fading. The issue I think is the paper.

Anyhow here is a little trick that I do with my LaserJet. If you look in any of my violins through the end pin hole you will see my brand mark on the inside neck block with the correct year.

Below is a photo of one of my first tests done some years ago. My time flies. It seems like yesterday when I first did this.

The brand mark is taken from an ancient Roman coin. I replaced the Roman governor's name with mine and his year with the current one.

Stay Tuned.

Mike

Can anyone recommend a good place to get labels printed or a particular method of printing ?

I do mine by hand with pen and ink but it's tricky. Considering having labels printed.....

Ben, I've always taken a hand-drawn sample or draft, or a picture of an old label to a print shop. Then I selected an antiquey-looking paper (nothing special), and a stock antiquiy print style.

These inks haven't run when wetted, like some home printer inks can. I thought that might be better for gluing in the label, and I've been darned glad that inks didn't dissolve when removing and reinserting some labels on Strads and such, during repair.

However, an ink which bleeds when wetted might offer some advantages, in our current contemporary faking environment. So might an ink along the lines of the one suggested by Kochie. Difficult to reproduce all the properties with a cheap printer.