Maestronet Forums

1739 Joseph Guarnerius

Okay, now that the auction is over --what should the real attribution of that fiddle have been? It looks like the age could be okay, and the case isn't quite the usual coffin, but what are the odds of an important fiddle ending up in such horrible condition?

I don't expect that you would go far wrong if you presume an origin within about 20 miles of Markneukirchen. I still would like to know what a "butternut" is suposed to be, nothing to do with being "hedgehoged" presumably :)

I don't expect that you would go far wrong if you presume an origin within about 20 miles of Markneukirchen. I still would like to know what a "butternut" is suposed to be, nothing to do with being "hedgehoged" presumably :)

Jacob you've become a bit typecast; must you see everything through Germanic-coloured glasses?

For your edification, attached is an image of a butternut. As to what the new owner will do with his butternut case, Germanic fiddle and Germanic imitation of a French bow, one can only speculum, sorry, speculate.

post-39490-0-08510200-1332583771_thumb.jpg

Okay, now that the auction is over --what should the real attribution of that fiddle have been? It looks like the age could be okay, and the case isn't quite the usual coffin, but what are the odds of an important fiddle ending up in such horrible condition?

Can I have a go too?

"A French violin, circa 1860/80, School of Caussin, with nasty cracks on the front, with an ironwood bow, Mirecourt circa 1850, like the ones some people say are Peccate, Lupots etc but are not."

Apologies to Jacob for disagreeing with him...

Jacob you've become a bit typecast; must you see everything through Germanic-coloured glasses?

For your edification, attached is an image of a butternut. As to what the new owner will do with his butternut case, Germanic fiddle and Germanic imitation of a French bow, one can only speculum, sorry, speculate.

last year I asked a friend what was the butternut squash soup they were serving at the cafeteria, and she blushed trying to describe the vegetable... :)

Thanks, I was wondering how butter could produce nuts.

Sorry, no clue. Ask me about bratwürst, however, and I can go on for hours. Well, I could probably go on for hours about most things, I suppose. unsure.gif But not butternut squash and bratwürst together. That would be over the top.

• 2 years later...

This ebay violin is a copy with a nice wood and a bad varnice, the varnice is far from an Italian varnice of that time! the bow is a copy too with nickel instead of silver not even pernambuk wood. if this would be an Italian class violin then it has been always expensive. but the violin has a cheap steel strings on a cheap metal string holder, a plastic chin rest like for kids ....all the violin is extremely dirty not cared, this violin had been used a long time in this condition, but gipsies sell immediately good things they have stolen.....an unnamed violin and made it suitable to sound as loud as possible