Maestronet Forums

Is this a recognizable Stradivarius

Tommy

These are photos of a Sacconi violin with a Stradivarius 1715 fake label inside. Does anyone see any similarity off the top of your head to any known actual Strad? Thank you. Tommy

I would guess the Titian. I understand that it was one of Sacconi's favorites. I have a copy of a copy of his F hole template for the Titian somewhere... (copied it from Roland Feller when I worked there)

I would guess the Titian. I understand that it was one of Sacconi's favorites. I have a copy of a copy of his F hole template for the Titian somewhere... (copied it from Roland Feller when I worked there)

It could definitely be the Titian. The f holes seem a little long and skinny for it though, but it does have the same two piece back style. It was also built on the p form as far as I know.

These are photos of a Sacconi violin with a Stradivarius 1715 fake label inside. Does anyone see any similarity off the top of your head to any known actual Strad? Thank you. Tommy

++++++++++++++++

I think you would like to ask this question : Is my violin looks like a copy of strad ? My answer would be " I think so."

If you are asking more deeper question, I would not know. I have seen much better copy. To tell the truth I do not

care to have this violin in my collection. Many out there are better. Just give you a ball park idea. If

you want to spend $5000 to buy a decent copy you may be able to do quite easily (I could be wrong)

Some modern luthiers copy Strad violin from looking at museum copy. You can tell they are trying. Amazingly smart.

Your right about that. . . you are overly paranoid. What about all the Strad posters with accurate measurements . . . for example. :blink:

Perhaps I am being overly paranoid but I think I will remove the photos from the posting just so nobody in China or wherever gets any bright ideas.... Tom

++++++++++++++++

I think you would like to ask this question : Is my violin looks like a copy of strad ? My answer would be " I think so."

If you are asking more deeper question, I would not know. I have seen much better copy. To tell the truth I do not

care to have this violin in my collection. Many out there are better. Just give you a ball park idea. If

you want to spend $5000 to buy a decent copy you may be able to do quite easily (I could be wrong)

Some modern luthiers copy Strad violin from looking at museum copy. You can tell they are trying. Amazingly smart.

I think terminology may differ for many people. To me, there is a difference between a "copy" and a "forgery," where a copy is in homage to the original inspiration and forgery is meant to be as close to the original as possible (with the possibility of deception, even though it might not be the original intention. The word does have a negative connotation). There are better forgeries out there, but as far as copies go, this one is probably pretty high on the list. I doubt that it was meant to be mistaken for a Strad.

As far as woodworking skills go, Sacconi, like Lupot before him, hit the Strad style spot on. I haven't seen many contemporary fiddles that are as clean in workmanship as this one. I'll bet it sounds pretty killer, too.