Varnish brushes in Walmart

stores sell what people buy, Form my limited travel, I see Americans are willing to put up with less quality especially in food. But we have more of everything. Not to be accused of un-american I hope, but I see money placed on a very high pedestal here. Even rush apologized, because some advertisers pulled their money from his show>

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you are right. Capitalism at its finest.

Same thing they used to say about child labor around 1900. No one is forcing the kids to work there, or people to buy the product. Now, of course, we have laws so no more child labor in the US. Other countries, well, that’s their problem. And no one is forcing us to buy products made that way. We want to and we can. That’s capitalism.

How cozy is Walmart with the local governments? Does that fall under your concept of capitalism? When you open your small store, can you make a deal with the locals to collect sales tax from your customers, then keep it? The big-box stores do.

Can you get the streets modified to handle your business? That work is paid for through taxes.

The local governments want the mindless jobs, where individual taxes are collected directly from the employers before any money goes to the employee. We don’t care that they don’t pay living wage. That’s not our problem. No one is forcing those people to work there. They’re happy to have any job. And credit-cards. And generous bankruptcy laws.

Last week, our local state government killed a measure to tax internet sales. They claimed it was intrusive and that there were better ways to handle budget problems, such as cutting waste. Of course, a tax on internet sales would have been highly unpopular, but that wasn’t mentioned. And the problem is already addressed: individual tax-payers are supposed to report internet sales on their annual state income-tax forms. You can imagine how that works.

On the other hand, leveling the playing field by eliminating sales tax for the brick-and-mortar folk is unthinkable. So, in Idaho, we brick-and-mortar folk have an automatic 6% disadvantage to both the internet and the big-box stores before we even open the door.

Capitalism. I think you’re right. Using the rules to get an advantage, changing the rules if you can, avoiding them if you can.

I’m in the business to make money, and I do. My customers appreciate my work. I don’t expect to appeal to the wide variety of people who shop at Walmart. And perhaps my vote doesn’t mean much either, but I don’t shop at Walmart.

Come to think of it I bet I "own" some of this stock through my retirement accounts. :unsure:

Anyhow, I believe in capitalism with controls. I learned at this stage in life that there is no simple philosophy or economic theory that works alone. Like a violin, life is complex. :)

Stay Tuned.

Mike

Of course.

I'm in the market to make money.

I make a living, and invest, too, Craig, but my choices about some investments look like they may be different than yours. :)

Hey... really... this thread started out concerning brushes at Walmart... and now... well now I'm not sure what it's about. Consumerism? Capitalism?

I don't wish to denigrate others for their shopping choices... but will say that these are choices, and that I assume each person weighs the pros & cons (consequences) of their actions. If one is not considering the consequences, they probably deserve what they get. In either case, I have trouble with the "helpless consumer" stand. Consumers are anything but helpless. I believe the superstores are providing what a majority of the consumers asked for. If you don't like 'em, don't shop at them. One consequence may certainly be that you spend more money on a similar product, but it may also be that you support a business with expertise that may save you time/money/etc. in the end. If your goal is to save money today... well that may have future consequences, but so be it.

I don’t shop at Walmart.

me neither if I can help it.

Capitalism is predatory.

Want to see what unrestrained capitalism looks like? Check out the novels of Charles Dickens. Life was a nightmare for most workers.

There are two counter forces to the predatory nature of capitalism, unions and government, both are in decline compared to the trans national growth of corporations.

The future doesn't bode well for the rest of us if this trend continues unfettered.

Oded

Oh, brushes. :rolleyes: Well, for Robson's viscous Greek Pitch varnishes I found that the hog bristle brushes he originally recommended left too much of the pig in the varnish. That is, I got tired of picking out hog hairs. So I now use Da Vinci Series 112 stipple brushes. These, I believe, are a synthetic fiber and are very stiff. I hardly ever find hairs in my varnish. BTW, I store all my brushes in sealed Mason jars to avoid dust. And like arglebargle, I buy 99% of my supplies over the Internet. I like comparison shopping and buying exactly what I want - not what is left on some store shelf. ;) Stay Tuned. Mike

Unlike the previous few posters, I buy most of my materials in shops... I do use the internet for specific items when I can't find in them locally, and when ordering strings and other parts from distributors that have an online interface.

In the case of brushes, the majority I use high quality sable... and I like to look at them before purchasing (to make sure they come to a nice point, etc.). Did try some brushes David ordered... they're OK for some things, but no where near as good as the sables.

Unfortunately, David informed me two days ago that the last fine-art shop in our town is closing down... so I'll need to figure out where I can go next. Can't say I'm thrilled.

Unfortunately, David informed me two days ago that the last fine-art shop in our town is closing down... so I'll need to figure out where I can go next. Can't say I'm thrilled.

The latest (?) is that it may close. The parent company has declared bankruptcy, and is considering whether to close 40 stores throughout the country.

I would just like to say I would buy those brushes at any price at any store. They are the best I've seen, and I've bought just about every worthwhile brush from Kremer's, International violin, and all had major negatives. Also, our two local hardware stores are like all others, chain stores with stuff from the the cheapest country, forget quality. fred

Anyhow, I believe in capitalism with controls.

I believe this also, as does, I think, Ken Pollard.

Capitalism works best without any regulation. But what is good for business is not always good for workers and consumers. That's the role of government: to maintain balance.

So here's a balanced solution: disposable brushes and Robson varnish. cool.gif

I haven't had a shedding problem with the bristle brushes I have right now, and I think they actually are from Walmart. If you re-use brushes that shed, leave some varnish up under the ferrule.