Sign in to follow this  
GoldenPlate

pahdah selling beautiful chinese violin on ebay!

According to the certificate this violin was "dully exported" - does this mean that the export process was lacking in flair and imagination?

I fear for the tone of this violin, since Mr. Hound claims that it rewards with luscious overtones, but only when played well. It seems to be lacking the usual chiming cascade of opalescent blah blah and the power to be heard at the back of the largest hall!

I think if I had to fill out certificates for a container-load of Chinese violins, I would be pretty dull too.

This back of the concert hall thing is over rated. People who just want to chat sit in the back, just like people who are only there to be seen sit in front. Oh, and family members sit in back, and in the very front.

chiming cascade of opalescent blah blah

... makes a lovely mental image.

Model: Stradivaries.

Is that like serendipities?

A combination of "Stradivari" and "sorta varies (from)"

The ff's are more Guarnaries, i.e. Guano + varies. 1.gif

I would love to own that violin but I have 3 Zhang Shu Mei violins already, and play them all. This violin for sale I've seen before, about 1 or 2 years ago being sold by someone who had gotten something better. I find that it difficult to find better violins than these so my method is always to improve the playing, not the instrument necessarily.

I bought a decent fiddle from him, for about $2K and sold it to a local teacher, for the same amount. It was a good instrument. You can do a lot with a $2K fiddle. If you can get all this, why pay more?

"This violin has a very powerful and loud,dominant and persuasive tone. Its a violin that is at once warm and sonorous and also brilliant and penetrating. It is a very well balanced and even tone that rewards the player and listener with luscious overtones when played well."

Same thing with $20 wine. The label says it's bursting with rich fruit with hints of boysenberry, satisfactory tannic structure and exquisite finish. So why pay more?

The tone is very lovely, dark and deep, like our moonlit midnight sleigh rides near the Frost farm just down the old road not taken, a bucolic Eden where we pick fresh berries on sun-kissed dewy summer mornings. Oh, that glorious tone,so sweet and syrupy, like fresh home-made maple syrup we put on our pancakes on Christmas morning after prayers. A tone that is the surprisingly silky, succinctly sappy, sullenly syrupy exudation of the trees whose turning autumn leaves we gaze at here and shed a tear of silent joy,grateful to be alive...the very trees that might have made this great instrument. This is perhaps the greatest violin I have ever known, maybe the greatest violin ever created since the beginning of Time. This is a masterpiece whose noble qualities make it worthy of Heifetz, and much greater violinists still...perhaps, dare I say it, like you...? Could it be that God Himself speaks through this violin?...and could it be that right now as you sit at your computer in silent communion with this violin, perhaps building up the courage to place a bid (?) you can hear Him whisper, in a pianissimo that wafts like the smoke from my river stone chimney up to the very rafters of Carnegie Hall: "BUY IT NOW"....

The tone is very lovely, dark and deep, like our moonlit midnight sleigh rides near the Frost farm just down the old road not taken, a bucolic Eden where we pick fresh berries on sun-kissed dewy summer mornings. Oh, that glorious tone,so sweet and syrupy, like fresh home-made maple syrup we put on our pancakes on Christmas morning after prayers. A tone that is the surprisingly silky, succinctly sappy, sullenly syrupy exudation of the trees whose turning autumn leaves we gaze at here and shed a tear of silent joy,grateful to be alive...the very trees that might have made this great instrument. This is perhaps the greatest violin I have ever known, maybe the greatest violin ever created since the beginning of Time. This is a masterpiece whose noble qualities make it worthy of Heifetz, and much greater violinists still...perhaps, dare I say it, like you...? Could it be that God Himself speaks through this violin?...and could it be that right now as you sit at your computer in silent communion with this violin, perhaps building up the courage to place a bid (?) you can hear Him whisper, in a pianissimo that wafts like the smoke from my river stone chimney up to the very rafters of Carnegie Hall: "BUY IT NOW"....

hmmmm. Have we found the p-dogs ghost writer????? :P

It's "spiel", not "schpiel".

For your erudition, here is an example of actionable words, posted by an anonymous user referring to a well known and respected dealer in a major city: (Headline: Ripoff Artist)

'Please don't go to this shop unless you want to be sold something which isn't what its purported to be for an outrageous price.'

The originator of those words is currently being sued for several tens of thousands of dollars, and I predict the plaintiff will prevail. That is slander.

Nothing in this thread remotely rises to that threshold; you might want to educate yourself a bit more on the law.

With respect, your rant reflects your own (flawed) opinion, it is not fact - legal or otherwise. Discussion is not defamation.

Jesse has always taken our mockery in very good humour - he knows that we are goaded beyond our endurance by his effortless command of Ebay marketing, and that our mean-spirited sniping is motivated only by greed and envy!

Jesse has always taken our mockery in very good humour - he knows that we are goaded beyond our endurance by his effortless command of Ebay marketing, and that our mean-spirited sniping is motivated only by greed and envy!

Don't forget "self-serving" !

;)

The originator of those words is currently being sued for several tens of thousands of dollars, and I predict the plaintiff will prevail. That is slander.

Actually it's libel - or it will be if the case is proved. As it is still apparently an ongoing case it is not for you to say either way.

Andrew

Y'all ride the Hound hard, and put him away wet, but I find his ads entertaining, and his violins usually worth the price. Certainly his guarantee can't be beat.

I notice he doesn't post here much any more, which is a shame, because he does seem to know what he's doing, and he does get around the Northeast to scope out the available fiddles. Also, he's fun to read.

True confession: I have two of his violins. They're worth what I paid for them, I think, and they easily reach the back of my hall. They exceed my abilities, and must be good, because my dog stays in the room when I play.

Thundering screaming, pathetic whimpering from behind the stars, incisive tone that will slice bologna at thirty paces, whether it be pink and meatlike or merely purple prose. What's not to love?

Excellent post, but I had to comment on your even more excellent breakfast choices.

Coffee and cigarettes: standard of course; but you balance things out with a banana, stale beer, sliced kidneys (?) and what looks like a packet of women's birth control pills...

I can't quite make out the deep-fried Mars bar. However, it might be there somewhere.

post-39490-0-94350100-1330230327_thumb.jpg

I am practicing now, as I write this, on one of my Zhang Shu Mei violins the Bach A minor fugue, Andante, and the Allegro (I call it the Double) Also the Chaccone and Paganini caprices 1,4,6,and 12. I like to practice while surfing so to speak. For the life of me I don't seem to find anything lacking in these violins...balance on chords, ease of play and good response. Anyone who is able should try to acquire this violin (players only please) ;) because it is not just a violin,this one, but a work of art.Yes, Zhang Shu Mei violins do have power, which can be offensive to some at first. I remember hearing Zuckerman's recording of Tchaichovsky's violin concerto when it first came out(1970's) and did not like it for some reason and read somewhere that he wondered why some critic had made a negative comment about his sound since he spends so much effort in getting that sound. When I hear that recording now I wonder what I was hearing. It's the best that I know of. I say this because the Zhang Shu Mei violins have that "offensive" sound that I heard when I was younger...pure power, everything vibrates to the core...after that it's up to you.

I am practicing now, as I write this, on one of my Zhang Shu Mei violins the Bach A minor fugue, Andante, and the Allegro (I call it the Double) Also the Chaccone and Paganini caprices 1,4,6,and 12. I like to practice while surfing so to speak. For the life of me I don't seem to find anything lacking in these violins...balance on chords, ease of play and good response. Anyone who is able should try to acquire this violin (players only please) ;) because it is not just a violin,this one, but a work of art.Yes, Zhang Shu Mei violins do have power, which can be offensive to some at first. I remember hearing Zuckerman's recording of Tchaichovsky's violin concerto when it first came out(1970's) and did not like it for some reason and read somewhere that he wondered why some critic had made a negative comment about his sound since he spends so much effort in getting that sound. When I hear that recording now I wonder what I was hearing. It's the best that I know of. I say this because the Zhang Shu Mei violins have that "offensive" sound that I heard when I was younger...pure power, everything vibrates to the core...after that it's up to you.

As if, starlings catch flight on yon hither snowy downs, As if, only some are good enough to become angels,Zhang Shu Mei ,and, and when they pass to the great harmonious symphony in the sky, the best of the best become Zhang Shu Mei violins, as if they are tiny coffins of the angels, who's souls are trapped and forever bound by their earthly servants inside of these magic boxes. Destine to sing with all the power and might that the heavens above are capable of producing, If Paganini were alive today Zhang Shu Mei would surely be with in his available arsenal. Only a few lucky souls will become angels, and even fewer yet will own them, Zhang Shu Mei, are you ready for heaven?

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=175721

the voice of an angel

angles angels,,,,yayaya