The 'Baron von der Leyen' Stradivarius of 1705 !!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the beestings are quite nice! There is a lot to admire about this Golden Period fiddle.

Everyone is invited to see or play the violin in-person in New York. That is the case with any instrument in our auctions and there's no reason why it shouldn't be so for the 'Baron von der Leyen.' If you stop by or schedule an appointment, please introduce yourselves. Remember, we make excellent espresso... Cheers!

There are a few details I love about this instrument.

1. Wouldn't it be amazing to find a similar tree with all this maple! Whew.

2. Doh - not enough for the back plate - lets wing it! (if I remember correctly the Castlebarco is also winged very well - almost invisible)

3. Elegant Bee Stings - you could murder your bow with those things!

4. Interesting pin pricks on the top plate? Were we graduating the top plate from the top side? This could just be happenstance with some heavy wear. Located around the end of the fingerboard on the top plate.

5. Love the compass marks on the back of the scroll.

6. Love the edgework of the upper left corner on the back -

7. There looks to be an impression of a star on the top plate - next to the g string side of the tailpiece.

8. Totally love the character of the white of the purfling. Lots of drama

9. Poor closing clamps mucking up some beautiful c-bouts.

10. To my eye this looks pg form. I'll stand corrected if someone else has confirmed another form.

Hi Ethan,

Will this violin be on show at the London sale?

Yes it will!

March 2012 London Public Viewing, 4 & 5 March

Westbury Hotel, Mayfair

2nd Floor Gallery, New Bond & Conduit St.

London, W1S 2YF

Sunday 11am-9pm, Monday 9am-4pm

info.london@tarisio.com

It will *probably* be accompanied by a fine violin Lorenzo Storioni, Cremona, 1792, also in the April 2012 New York auction.

• 2 weeks later...

The grain of the back is mesmerizing. I looked at it for quite a while, then looked at some of the other violins and thought: I have now been spoiled.

The back IS mesmerizing!!! By the way, have a look at a few del Gesu violins and you might find yourself feeling a strangely similar sensation (the 'Plowden', 'Alard', 'Lord Wilton'...looks like the same gorgeous piece of maple as in the "Baron von der Leyen').

Yes, the beestings are quite nice! There is a lot to admire about this Golden Period fiddle.

Everyone is invited to see or play the violin in-person in New York. That is the case with any instrument in our auctions and there's no reason why it shouldn't be so for the 'Baron von der Leyen.' If you stop by or schedule an appointment, please introduce yourselves. Remember, we make excellent espresso... Cheers!

The same did not appear to apply for London!

I emailed Tarisio and asked with my typical brass neck if I could have 10 minutes alone with this violin even though I had no intention of buying it! They were very welcoming, and organized it for me with minimal fuss. I was completely delighted by the experience, though it took a while to get over understandable nerves - a kind of stagefright I'm not accustomed to, as if the violin was the audience.

I want to offer a big thanks to Ethan and Carlos for this amazing opportunity.

• 1 month later...

theres some performer on violinist.com who tried it and claims his new 15,000usd cremonese villa violin blew it away, of course he goes on to claim his violin has beaten everything he has compared it to as well, including a sam z, its hard to be objective about how good your own personal violin is.......

then there are the players who own a $1000 eastman chinese violin, who are "told it sounds like a 70,000 violin" i can only hope my customers can like what they buy from me just as much!!

Hey Duane! You out there?

When I heard rumors that a Strad by this name was to be offered at Tarisio, I assumed it was the one owned by the Chicago Symphony. After reading Tarisio's text, I'm a bit confused by the title and the date of this particular violin. Do you have any history concerning this instrument you'd be willing to share with us?

Cheers!

Hello,

This is my first post at maestronet!

I am an amateur violinist.I was there at SF's public viewing on Thursday.

I just want to say thank you so much for giving me this opportunity to play this beautiful Stradivarius. Thank you for making my dream possible.

Finally, special thanks to Jason and Carlos for helping me out and giving me plenty of time to enjoy this great instrument!!!

I love Tarisio!!!!!!!!!

unfortunately, those credentials dont extend to the label, which is not original according to tarisios description

For all those folks who like to spend a lot of time determining whether a label is original or not, this fiddle is a good example of an instance of the originality of the label being pretty much irrelevant. And the information on the label is, according to Tarisio, pretty nearly correct, plus or minus a year from the labeled 1706.

So, a label can be a "fake" or not original to the fiddle but still have correct or nearly correct information.