Maestronet Forums

A Magnificent Violin by Matteo Goffriller, Venice circa 1710

GoldenPlate

Strange that it's reckoned to be older than the label inside claims. Is Bergonzi really that much more important than Goffriller?

Also, apropos the alleged post crack on the back...doesn't a repaired crack always pick up a wee bit of color? E.g., the cheek patch on that beautiful head. Could that post crack just be a natural ...I can't really say "artifact"... "blemish", perhaps?

Cheese Louise, I hate looking at beautiful fiddles like that. Instant lust!

as of the 18th the repair report is supposed to be available on line(but it isnt yet) to see if its got a post crack, and yes i would guess a bergonzi would be worth about twice as much as a similar condition goffriller. when people talk about who the best maker under strad and del gesu is, bergonzis name often comes up and genuine bergonzis are extremely rare, even more so than del gesus, i think

genuine bergonzis are extremely rare, even more so than del gesus, i think

Carlo Bergonzi, yes... only around 50 are known (less than 1/3 the number of known del Gesu violins). They are much more valuable than a Goffriller in the same condition...

Venetian instruments were often built a slightly lighter in the back, so stress is always something to check for. I don't see an obvious crack in the photo... though there is a funny light streak (which could certainly be just from the lights), but that's probably not an issue, unless one of you are planning on parting with $250-$300K in March... and there are some on this board who might... but they'd be clever enough to check the fiddle in person. :) In any case, pretty back on that one, yes? Love the crackle in the varnish.

Sorry, must have been the bratwürst... 10.gif

... weak allusion to the age-old fraudulent behavio(u)r inherent in the violin business, described by one recent author thusly: "what can we sell this as?"

Fortunately, a few large auction houses are free from such slight-of-hand tricks, but they don't dwell on the antics of past merchants either, i.e. they'll say what they have, but not how it got that way.

roll.gif

Survey says... [ding!] For love of money. See http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=323309

So what we really have here is a violin, purported to be a Goffriller by folks with less than stellar reputations in that field, with a fake label ascribing this work to another maker. And this is different than eBay, how?

Eric

So what we really have here is a violin, purported to be a Goffriller by folks with less than stellar reputations in that field, with a fake label ascribing this work to another maker. And this is different than eBay, how?

Eric

Don't put words in my mouth! dry.gif

All I'm saying here, in this case, is that Brompton's aren't going to dwell on why the label doesn't match the attribution. That would be a history lesson (worth studying), not an auction listing. Their listing seems perfectly honest, and they have a good reputation.

Unless Martin (Mr. Swan) has some juicy dirt for us to romp in? tongue.gif

I have absolutely nothing to say against Bromptons - I've bought quite a few instruments from them, and sold through them. I like the fact that they always have a wide range of instruments in all sorts of condition, their estimates are modest and their way of doing business is unfussy. You can play instruments in advance of the auction in a small room or a big theatre space, and you can even take instruments away for a few days.

However, it's important to make up your own mind about provenance and condition, and not to take anything at face value ...

I don't think there's anything particularly strange about a Goffriller with a Bergonzi label (if that's what it is) - presumably for a while it was unlabeled and then someone put what they thought was a credible label in it ....