Maestronet Forums

"Egidio Moretti" violin + Guadanini copy: how much are they worth?

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask you for opinions/advices regarding two violins for sale.

The first one is a really nice violin (see the photo album below), labeled in the following way:

Construttore

MORETTI EGIDIO

----Udine-----

anno...1937

The year is hand-written, but it DOES seem faked to me (so probably no genuine Moretti instrument?). Nevertheless, I like the violin quite a lot... What do you think, how much could it be worth?

Here are some photos of the instrument: My link

There is one more (a lot cheaper) instrument that I'm considering the purchase of: it's an interesting, probably German, violin with the scroll replaced by a human head (I don't know why I think of Brahms when looking at it :) ). There is a label inside saying "Joannes Baptista Guadagnini pla / centinus fecit mediolani 17.." It is most probably faked, moreover there is a faint "Steiner" stamp under the button... but the instrument itself looks pretty antique (late 19th century?) and actually not bad at all.. What do you think? Is it worth $400, or even more?

Again, some photos (unfortunatelly these are the only available ones :( ): My link

Thanks for the opinions!

Martin

Edited by Martin the vilolinist

Okay, thanks for the opinions!

I originally considered it to be something better than a generic Schönbach instrument.. So someone probably tried hard to make it look better than it is :rolleyes:

Not sure what you expect for that price? A genuine retailer's label, perhaps? smile.gif

Not sure what you expect for that price? A genuine retailer's label, perhaps? smile.gif

Yep, exactly that ;)

What about this one? Steiner

Schönbach again probably... But at least it does not pretend to be better than it is (apart from pretending to be a Steiner and a Guadanini at the same time :) ). Plus the price is (was) much fairer...

Yep, exactly that ;)

What about this one? Steiner

Schönbach again probably... But at least it does not pretend to be better than it is (apart from pretending to be a Steiner and a Guadanini at the same time :) ). Plus the price is (was) much fairer...

Just the fact that they didn't even know enough to use the proper (southern) spelling of the man's name should be a hint. Na zadne strane for sure. :)

The Stainer copy looks like a near the bottom of the line trade fiddle? So expect creative ridged graduation and an integral bass bar. For me, the head is a minus. I would like to pick up a Stainer copy to work over, but not for $400, and I wouldn't expect much in the way of tone or response "out of the box."

If you want a $400 playable violin, go for Chinese, or a Gliga.

Just my 2¢ :rolleyes:

The Stainer copy looks like a near the bottom of the line trade fiddle? So expect creative ridged graduation and an integral bass bar. For me, the head is a minus. I would like to pick up a Stainer copy to work over, but not for $400, and I wouldn't expect much in the way of tone or response "out of the box."

Thanks for the opinion. Something told me "don't buy it". So I didn't. ;) (one of the reasons being the poor photo-documentation).

Martin