Sign in to follow this  
Jeff White

Anyone using the Herdim Chinese clamps?

Thought I saw a post awhile back about Michael D. and Jeffrey reviewing these clamps. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190633507699&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

These are Chinese copies of the Herdim clamps that are much cheaper. About $4.50 each, landed to my doorstep. That's a long way from $14.85 + tax and shipping. I've been thinking my 30 year old spool clamps are not the best thing to use as they put pressure on the edge of the top outside the perfling. Has anyone also purchased any of the Chinese herdim type top crack clamps? I am especially interested in the 3 arm type, I really like that design. jeff

I would be wary of these clamps,,

1,,the way they appear in the photos,

it doesn't look like the clamp will line itself up on the edge.

Herdims and other edge shaped clamps fit against the edge of the plate

to line up easily and stay there with little effort while they are tightened.

Spool clamp don't do this for obvious reasons.

yes these clamps have a split clamping surface,,but the second appears the same height as the first,

nothing to guide or stablize the clamp.

2,,The brass nuts are not knurled,,

they appear too short,

brass is slippery anyway,,,

I can see fumbling around,,trying to hold everything in place,,

a little glue on your fingers,,

suddenly your nose starts itching,,LIKE MAD,,,!!

Herdims are great,,

Good spool clamps work good on the corners,if you are gentle,,

The cut out board template in the thread that Ernie posted is excellant,,,,drill a hole in the middle,,

use a router like a circle cutter,, put in all the edges first,, just like a herdim edge,

then drill the holes and cut the pie.

The same ebay seller has some wooden clamps I would go for first,,,you could build up the edge to mimick a herdim,

leather,superglue,,then cut it back out next to the back wall,,to leave a clamping surface that will contact the purfling area.

Make sure all the leather is glued on real good.(or just cut it back in the wood itself)(dremel with coarse carbide)

Then to make it glue proof you can mix equil parts turpentine,wax and linseed oil, cook the clamps in this for a bit,

wipe it off good, then bake for a while,,nothing will stick to them. It doesn't matter to me,,I'm not sloppy with glue,

It seems faster to me,,,to be slower with the gluing,than having to clean it all up.

To make a really classy tightening handle,, take a dowel,,drill a hole down the center,

then install a stainless steel heilacoil thread insert.(a lathe helps,,or a jig for a drillpress)

You can put the insert deeper in the handle so that the threaded portion of the bolt only sticks up above the clamp.

So there are no threads visible,,and the upper clanp block is sliding on a smooth surface.

you can make the knob any length or diameter that you want,round or hexagon if you want.

Lubracate the contact surface with a little wax,,,and you have smooth !

There used to be some nice chinese Herdim knockoffs,,,I think they probably had pat. infringement probs.

havn't seen them for a long time.

Hope this helps

Evan

I bought two sets of these a year ago, violin and cello. They are not as well machined as the Herdim clamps. The slot for the pin that keeps them in line is quite large for the pin so there is quite a bit of rotation. The plastic is softer than the Herdims, but that isn't really a problem.

The threads are rough but still work well. The knobs on mine were knurled. Having said all of that they work well, and are, I feel safer than the spool knobs. Also they are a fraction of the cost of Herdim clamps, so one has to expect that they won't be made to the same standard.

Evan, upon closer inspection of the photos, what I thought were the same clamps from different chinese sellers, where in fact different. Some had the 2 ridges the same length, keeping the clamp part from dropping into the perf channel. I found some that were done right, and had the knurled knobs. thanks for the heads up. I'll let everyone know how these are. jeff

I have been watching these clamps on Ebay for a while and I see two different versions from several far East vendors. All seem to total up to about $150. with shipping. One has the hex-head tightening thumb nut and the other has the knurled. The knurled knob set does have the offset locating feature for nesting against the edge of the soundplate.

http://tinyurl.com/6pjzd9z

I have a set of Herdims and a set of spools and have been considering picking up a set of these. There are so many tools/supplies that I'm still adding to the arsenal so I've held off, for now. A Tormek and better honing stones are top-of-the-list, at present.

difrangia

I have both the Herdim clamps and the Chinese version from eBay. The Herdim clamps are better made than the Chinese but at 3-4 times the price. I bought a complete set of the Chinese cello clamps. Most of them were just fine but some had alignment problems. The two pads were not on the same plane due to improper pin placement. I filed down the aluminum pin in one of the pads leaving me with one fixed pad and one moveable pad. Ideal? No. Worth the price? Positively.

Barry

I have been watching these clamps on Ebay for a while and I see two different versions from several far East vendors. All seem to total up to about $150. with shipping. One has the hex-head tightening thumb nut and the other has the knurled. The knurled knob set does have the offset locating feature for nesting against the edge of the soundplate.

http://tinyurl.com/6pjzd9z

I have a set of Herdims and a set of spools and have been considering picking up a set of these. There are so many tools/supplies that I'm still adding to the arsenal so I've held off, for now. A Tormek and better honing stones are top-of-the-list, at present.

difrangia

Difragia, I saw the same thing thanks to Evan's careful eye (and my lazy one). I purchased the knurled ones. I hope they are as pictured. I will dig out this post to let all know how they are when I get them. As far as the Tormek-Get it. I just did and I love it. I also use a fine white ark stone in the end, but man, my chisels and plane blades are great in very little time. I got the cheaper one. Don't mind the smaller radius on the hollow grind, but am thinking that the better one's alighnment for the strop would have been nice. Cheaper one strop's freehand. You will love it, one of the best tools I have. jeff

got the chinese clamps in and my only complaint is that the offset is only about 1mm. Does the Herdim offset more than that? Guess I could just take it down to please me, probably not worth doing though. worth the price, but I'll bet the Herdim are made better. jeff

Generally you get what you pay for, regarding quality of materials etc.

If you like to work fast I find that the normal spools clamps are hard to beat.

I do have some of the repair type clamps but I prefer my wooden ones.

If you can get it right first time, then making your own is a good way to go, if you are doing Cello spools.

. Ideal? No. Worth the price? Positively.

I have had no problems with the Chinese Ebay violin and cello clamps. At €220 for the two sets I can't complain. I'd prefer to spend the €600 I saved (Dictum charge approx €800) on more important things like tonewood and . . . . . . alcohol . :)

I made mine. still need perfecting but they work great other wise. you can actually get the knurled knobs from any specialty hardware supply. I payed 50cents each for mine. and I was looking for more and if you buy bulk you can still get them for almost the same price.

Jeff,

What seller did you get them from? Or did i miss it in a earlier post? And can you turn the top upside down like the Herdims?

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse, this is the seller: musicstorema. I have a feeling they won't be as fast as my old wooden spool clamps, but I like the way these fit on the instrument better. Maybe when doing a whole top at once, I'll "spot clamp" with the spool clamps, then fill in, and replace with the chinese herdim. Have to think about it. Maybe they won't be that slow. jeff