Maestronet Forums

novice question needs quick answer

Mickey VanCanada

Hi everyone,

I would just like too say that i am enjoying the different topics and learning alot. As i've mentioned before i've inherited a great old fiddle and have been learning to play which is just awesome ( I play a second hand violin i picked up at a shop) In the meantime i am trying to learn and i have a question. I want to weigh my grandaddys violin. What is right or wrong???.......do I weigh the violin without the chin rest, strings ect ect or do i weigh the entire package? I want to know because it may help me learn more about it. I've determined its handmade due to the various thicknesses of the front and back...and f-holes as well as the purfling. Now i would like weigh it. Thanks, I hope brief questions like this are not a bother.. i do appreciate the time it takes so thank you ahead of time.

regards, mickey

Hi everyone,

I would just like too say that i am enjoying the different topics and learning alot. As i've mentioned before i've inherited a great old fiddle and have been learning to play which is just awesome ( I play a second hand violin i picked up at a shop) In the meantime i am trying to learn and i have a question. I want to weigh my grandaddys violin. What is right or wrong???.......do I weigh the violin without the chin rest, strings ect ect or do i weigh the entire package? I want to know because it may help me learn more about it. I've determined its handmade due to the various thicknesses of the front and back...and f-holes as well as the purfling. Now i would like weigh it. Thanks, I hope brief questions like this are not a bother.. i do appreciate the time it takes so thank you ahead of time.

regards, mickey

++++++++++++++++++

Why you want to weigh your violin? What does the weigh tell you? Sorry for side tracking your question.

If I want to know if my violin is a better violin or not I would look into other feature of the violin. Wood, worksmanship, tone

quality, who made it, etc. I would use comparison method and play it

++++++++++++++++++

Why you want to weigh your violin? What does the weigh tell you? Sorry for side tracking your question.

If I want to know if my violin is a better violin or not I would look into other feature of the violin. Wood, worksmanship, tone

quality, who made it, etc. I would use comparison method and play it

Oh OK thanks...live and learn. The violin is light compared to others. I will post everything i can...i'm having some good pics taken sometime this month. I mean i had to learn what pics were appropriate and all i had weren't.

Oh OK thanks...live and learn. The violin is light compared to others. I will post everything i can...i'm having some good pics taken sometime this month. I mean i had to learn what pics were appropriate and all i had weren't.

+++++++++++

True, my older violin (150 years old or older) is in lighter wieght. My modern violin is heavier slightly (only I feel)

it is not enough to say for that reason ( small sample of just a few violins) I have never weighed any of them.

The light wiegh violin gives me impression that it is louder, but less focus. I am not sure if it is a good thing.

+++++++++++

True, my older violin (150 years old or older) is in lighter wieght. My modern violin is heavier slightly (only I feel)

it is not enough to say for that reason ( small sample of just a few violins) I have never weighed any of them.

The light wiegh violin gives me impression that it is louder, but less focus. I am not sure if it is a good thing.

Hi

this old violin of mine also projects loudly . It is also light.

mickey