Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Noykos

Essential Books

Hah! you could have had 10% off if you had have been patient

Now, is that an example of Schadenfreude, or are we commiserating together over my loss? Since you're such a good guy and Austria is close to my heart, I'll assume the latter, in keeping with the new spirit of conviviality which, from now on, will pervade Maestronet.

Just kidding about the need to commiserate and probably kidding about the conviviality, and definitely willing to grant anybody a bit of the pleasure of Schadenfreude. Anyway, if the most I lose in the rest of my life is 10% of the Thoene volumes' price, I'll regard my life as a financial success.

Just email me with your Maestronet ID and your purchase receipt and we'll arrange a rebate check for the discount - eladd@tarisio.com

Cheers!

in keeping with the new spirit of conviviality which, from now on, will pervade Maestronet.

Continuing in the new spirit of conviviality, you should email Ethan your receipt and ask for the 10% rebate - after all he does not specify a purchase at Tarisio, :ph34r: (is this the correct smiley?)

Continuing in the new spirit of conviviality, you should email Ethan your receipt and ask for the 10% rebate - after all he does not specify a purchase at Tarisio, :ph34r: (is this the correct smiley?)

Janito,

Your future is as a lawyer.

Continuing in the new spirit of conviviality...

:ph34r: (is this the correct smiley?)

1.gif7.gif14.gif

15.gif This can't be MN?

11.gif Ah, that's more like it. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

On the more general front, Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy; How Music Captures Our Imagination, by Robert Jourdain -- a nice survey for those of us who are not trained scientists on our body's systems that enable us to enjoy music.

German-language books, unfortunately not available in translation (Jacob and Skiingfiddler may have other thoughts on this front) -- Die Kunst des Geigenbaus (The Art of Violinmaking), by Otto Moeckel; Das Konstruktionsgeheimnis der alten italienischen Mesiter (The Construction Secrets of the Old Italian Masters), by brother Max Moeckel [these were of interest principally because of their very different conclusions about the usefulness of propolis in varnish making]; Der Cremoneser Lack; Eine Studie ueber Geigenlack-Untersuchungen (The Cremonese Varnish; A Study of Violin Varnish Research), Erich Knopf; Geschichte der Geigenlackierung; Werkstoffe und Techniken (History of Violin Varnishing; Materials and Techniques), Raimund Klawitter; Jacob Steiner...kayserlicher diener und geigenmacher zu Absam" (Jacob Steiner, Royal Servant and Violinmaker of Absam), Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien [fascinating articles updating the standard work on Stainer by Walter Senn and completed by Karl Roy].

We'd like to invite Maestronet's community to enjoy 15% off every title in our selection through the end of our February sale (Feb 9).

Just email me with your Maestronet ID and your purchase receipt and we'll arrange a rebate check for the discount - eladd@tarisio.com

Thank you Ethan! Great to have an advertising supporter of MN support the membership too!! I'll be taking a close look at that list myself. :)

Thank you Ethan! Great to have an advertising supporter of MN support the membership too!! I'll be taking a close look at that list myself. :)

It's our pleasure! I bit the bullet myself some time last year and made an investment in these resources. I learn something every time I open a book, the information and expertise and photos are all in there...

Ethan, I thank you too, for taking the time to post and wish I would have ordered the book "Stradivari Varnish" from you, instead. For one, I would have saved some hard-earned money, but also I'd still not be waiting for the book to arrive, over 1 month after having placed the order...

Ethan, I thank you too, for taking the time to post and wish I would have ordered the book "Stradivari Varnish" from you, instead. For one, I would have saved some hard-earned money, but also I'd still not be waiting for the book to arrive, over 1 month after having placed the order...

That doesn't sounds pleasant at all! I can only hope there is a good reason for the delay? We've chosen a professional fulfillment service for our bookstore, I hope if you talk to anyone else that has ordered they'll tell you it was prompt and well packed.

On a different note, what else can I do to help spread the word to other members of Maestronet? I would love to reach more of the community with this offer. Judging by the response so far, this may be a good opportunity to make that big purchase we all put off until later.

Ethan, I am sure that if I would have ordered from your firm it would have been both prompt and well packaged. I am not an impatient person but in the modern, digital age it is common to order online and receive confirmation (of the order, and of its shipment). I guess I need to train my mind to think 1883 (as in the year, 1883) and trust the item will arrive in good order, in time.

As for how to get the word out, I would check with Jeffrey as I am not aware of the rules regarding promotion. No doubt the beginning of a new thread with the appropriate title would do the trick, but perhaps it would violate user guidelines.

Well, no matter how it works out, all my best wishes...you deserve it!

Edit . . . .CT got there before me.

what else can I do to help spread the word to other members of Maestronet? I would love to reach more of the community with this offer. Judging by the response so far, this may be a good opportunity to make that big purchase we all put off until later.

You could start a separate Topic rather that just post on this thread. You might reach more members. Just an idea.

We've chosen a professional fulfillment service for our bookstore, I hope if you talk to anyone else that has ordered they'll tell you it was prompt and well packed.

Yep - the Tarisio book service was super fast.

Curses!!! Sure wish I would have held off my order of Stradivari Varnish until this thread came around. :-/ Oh well, you don't know what you don't know.

I just ordered a copy of "Stradivari Varnish" from Tarisio (turns out my prior order with 'servingaudio' was never processed), and happened to see that Tarisio has the 2-volume publication on the del Gesu exhibition for a VERY attractive price ($200 less than I paid a couple of years ago!). So, if you've had this one on your wish list (and if you are a maker, or a maker wannabe, you should), I'd say now is the time to jump.

What do you guys think of Stewart Pollens' book, "The Violin Forms of Antonio Stradivari"? Given that the book deals primarily with Stadivari's molds, how useful would such a book be to a maker, as opposed to a scholar?

So many books, so little money.

What do you guys think of Stewart Pollens' book, "The Violin Forms of Antonio Stradivari"? Given that the book deals primarily with Stadivari's molds, how useful would such a book be to a maker, as opposed to a scholar?

So many books, so little money.

I like that book. I think it is interesting to study and it affected some of my decisions on one violin I made. In the past I had access to it, but unfortunately I don't own the book, so I am not able to study it now. It is on my list to buy along with a bunch of others.

A book that I don't think was mentioned, but is interesting is Les Violins. It features Venetian instruments. I particularly like the Peter Guarneri cellos in there. It's not outrageously expensive. I have the softcover version and that cuts the cost a little.

I fielded a good question today from an international member of Maestronet:

If a rebate in the form of USD check is problematic, I'm happy to return the rebate on your credit card after the sale. Unfortunately, we're not set up to apply a discount at the point of sale just yet, but this should do the trick in the mean time. I hope that helps!

Just ordered some books. It was expensive, but the 15% discount was too good to pass up.

Wanted to buy a few more, but had I done so my credit card would surely have jumped out of my wallet, rolled up its sleeves, and beat me senseless.

Dear Maestronet,

Just an update - the Stradivari Varnish book is quite popular! You've successfully bought out the entire stock, which we thought would last years...

I've removed it from the website, but we will order more today. Can I invite you to email me again if you had planned to purchase this before February 9? We will be accommodating with the discount after more arrive.

www.tarisio.com/bookstore

eladd@tarisio.com

Cheers,

Ethan