Maestronet Forums

Michael Darnton tribute

strauzart

My dad can beat up your dad :)

Come on, get over it. As an amateur who is reading all he can on the web, books etc, before starting making my first violin, I find it very helpful reading suggestions and tips by anyone in this forum and other forums (Michael Darnton included). But who's got more authority is nonsense. The best violins were made already 300 years ago, we just have to replicate them, choose the best wood available, have passion and fun. All the rest is made by time, after 30 years of intense playing by a skilled violin player, I can't see why a modern violin shouldn't sound as good as a strad or Guarneri.

Today we live in an age where nobody can be the new Stradivari, because there are thousands of good violin makers all over the world, who can replicate the best instruments made 300 years ago, so even if you are a good maker you are just a drop in the ocean. Sorry to break it to you.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today we live in an age where nobody can be the new Stradivari, because there are thousands of good violin makers all over the world, who can replicate the best instruments made 300 years ago, so even if you are a good maker you are just a drop in the ocean. Sorry to break it to you.

I might say under a hundred, rather than thousands, but well said.

Not that assaults on the better posters aren't a concern of mine.

Yeah, that's sort of what I'm getting at. Criticism is fair game on a forum. Assualts on the people that make a forum worthwhile are something else altogether. I like Michael's online advice. Its clear and easy to follow. It doesn't take away from any of the other authoritative posters. I have learned a lot from Bruce Carlson, and others too numerous to name here.

Why turn this thread into a sniping match.

I'm not pointing this post at anyone in particular, just the way the thread has drifted.

Oh, I see David and Pold replied while I was posting, possibly a good way to end things.

Does showing appreciation for one member's contributions to the forum detract from those of others?

Probably, in the comparative value assessment of readers.

Since I came here, I've learned not to name my favorite makers, even though I have some. I might forget to include one or another in a post, and that wouldn't be fair. Others, I might not yet have committed to memory, or may not know about yet, and that wouldn't be fair either. Sheesh, I just learned about three really good makers while judging the China competition. Others I may not personally value, but they might still have strong currency with my respected peers.

The point being that it can be dangerous, unfair, and ultimately counter-productive to go off on leg-humping binges, without knowing the entire picture, which I will assert that nobody knows, including me.

I hope the playground is big enough for many, and for more than one star.

I've learned from the posts of Burgess, Carlson, Hargrave, Holmes, Saunders, Darnton, and other true experts who thankfully have and/or do post. These stars don't always agree, but always are worth reading. I've also learned from the post of many many others here on MN.

I don't believe than anyone who has felt cause to offer a supportive word to one member has intended belittlement of others.

Asking for tolerance. And intending respect toward all our stars.

Does showing appreciation for one member's contributions to the forum detract from those of others?

Probably, in the comparative value assessment of readers.

I don't think this thread is likely to change how people already feel about Michael's contributions to the forums. People appreciate his posts and would like him to continue posting. That's all it is.

The point being that it can be dangerous, unfair, and ultimately counter-productive to go off on leg-humping binges.

It's usually not much fun for the leg's owner, either.

Is the big dog tough enough to forbear and allow a praising gesture to another?

I don't believe that most (any?) of the true "big dogs" are terribly worried about that component of the larger issue.

I'll praise other makers to Jeffrey, and he'll praise makers to me, but that's with both of us knowing the context in which it will be interpreted. The same thing goes when I talk with other individual makers. That's very different from throwing it out on a public forum.

I'll praise other makers to Jeffrey, and he'll praise makers to me, but that's with both of us knowing the context in which it will be interpreted. The same thing goes when I talk with other individual makers. That's very different from throwing it out on a public forum.

This thread was about thanking a member for his helpful posts. This thread was about thanking a member for his personal help. 41 members posted on this thread. 38 to 39 members realized the difference between "thanking a member" and "praising a maker". Two, maybe three, members just didn't understand what the other members were posting about.

I'm not embarrassed, I think our threads are improving.

Scott

In case anyone missed that, Thanking a member and Praising a maker are two (2) unrelated subjects.

M-A-K-E-R does not equal M-E-M-B-E-R

I read Michaels posts, and I use a couple of his advice e.g. on the bassbar shape and, quite recently, how to take off a neck. I have enjoyed the blog entries, picures and ideas. And I think he is a pretty good writer when he is on one of his pet subjects in a good mood. I also appreciate the 'scientific approach' to challenge our own beliefs. A bit paradoxic, because he seems to be pretty critical about science and scientists.

However, I do not like this kind of personal cultivation, somewhat like dogs standing there with their wagging tail begging for more treats.. And I must admit that I get irritated sometimes by what he writes. I guess he might do too over things I write, at times.

I guess he is somewhat sensitive. I am too. I'm not sure, just a feeling that there might be some similarities. Also in the sort of holistic approach to things. I suppose he is humbler in person than what he can be behind the keyboard. I am also like that.

+++++++++++++++

Our experiences are limited to what we know but out there a lot we do not know.

For example, I look at one violin of my collection The varnish work is amazingly beautiful.

Who makes this? Some apprentice perhaps. A lot of makers are out there but they seldom get together

and let you compare their work.

This thread was about paying a tribute to Michael Darnton for his exceptional contribution on Maestronet and I am not going to make a complete MORON of myself by CRITICISING him here.

Also, from what I've read, Michael is not anti science or scientists : he's anti "science" and "scientists". Maybe he's somewhat sensitive as Anders puts it but being sensitive to stupidity is not a crime (...yet ).

Start a new thread if you feel so insecure that you must criticize because placing foot in mouth is not even close to what some allowed themselves to do here.

I had several reciprocal comments prepared for statements like that, but with a fresh read this morning, I don’t care for the way I came across yesterday, so I won't use them.

I must have been in debating mode from watching the presidential debates. :lol:

For now, I’ll try to blame Newt. :)

Apologies to anyone who was offended (except Dan, because he's gone way beyond what I did) ;) and that comes with a pledge to do better.

i think its interesting to look at who hasnt contributed to this thread

Dude, Enneagram Type 8, look it up (and yes, that's you I'm talking about...and you seem not a very healthy one at that).

I cannot believe the mind of some people around here, the insecurity which seems to be displayed by those who really shouldn't feel so insecure (unless there is something I do not know...and no, Lyndon, that one is not directed at you...although perhaps you do have this going on as well).

Give credit where credit is due. Micheal has done more to elevate my perspective than any other contributor on this site. Does that make him the sole authority? Of course not. But he does know his stuff and is always extremely generous with his hard-earned knowledge.

Being a novice, I read all the threads here to learn things and most threads offer some great information, this thread including, though not a great deal about violin making.

History repeats itself, as soon as somebody is 'given' authority, placed 'above' others there's dispute, it' s like Monty Python's Life of Brian this thread, a caricature of mankind.

If Michael is reading this he will either be laughing his ass off or he'll be thinking 'what a bunch of cretins' and never come back I think.

If he comes back, half of the posters here will weigh his words carefully and say he's humble and gracious, the other half will weigh his words and say he's a daft prick maybe, or just wrong.

Anyway, yes, he wrote some pretty interesting stuff for a noob like me, like so many others did and it all helped me a great deal and yes I am grateful to all, but the day I'll meet him I'd rather buy him a beer than drop to my knees and kiss his feet.

I don't drop to my knees for anyone or anything... well David's sheep maybe.