Maestronet Forums

Michael Darnton tribute

strauzart

umno.gif

OK, I'm definitely not into Carmex® but I willingly give credit where credit is due. Nobody has proven that tap tuning is essential to make a good violin.

I believe you have just proved your own point.

bored.gif

Addie, not an authority on anything boohoo.gif

+++++++++++

Um let me think about it. We all have something to be proud of.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly, in my opinion, the condemnation starts where the experience ends.

That's what I was talking about. Whether one has personally been successful with tap tuning or not, it's useful to acknowledge to readers that others seem to be using it rather successfully, or admit it if you don't have knowledge either way, rather than condemning the practice.

I can put up some quotes, and many other examples, but let's not go there. ;)

... it's useful to acknowledge to readers that others seem to be using it rather successfully, rather than condemning the practice.

I'm OK with that. And it sounds a little nicer than your other post. But my posts never seem to be read the way I mean them either. ohmy.gif

Since this is meant to be a tribute, I'l just say thanks again and then butt out.

in all fairness to mr darton, who has tried, and certainly succeeded for some, in helping many people, hes just one out of many, many in the world, and several on this forum, what i have observed about him is he doesnt like to do things the way everyone else does, he likes to have a slightly different opinion about many things, so if you want to build violins like mr darton by all means follow his advice, but be fully aware it may not be the commonly prefered method in the business, i would definetly reccomend hans weishaars book over michaels for instance

however in the real world many top violin makers would disagree with many things he says, so it helps to keep this hero worship in perspective, mr darton is not god of the violin world, at least i am not part of his religion

i must say ive have friends in this business i rely on and trust the way members rely on michael so i can understand the importance of learning from someone.

point is when michael told us he would make violins out of any bad wood anyone sent him, that he never taps on wood and doesnt think there is any such thing as good or bad wood

then i read his book and he says just the opposite, he uses only the finest european spruce from the best european tone wood suppliers, has never used sitka etc

well you start to see a problem, at least i do, a bit of a credibility problem.......

Moving briskly along from that, I will note with admiration that Michael is the only person (besides myself, before the accident) that I have observed eating Blueberry Pop-Tarts for lunch. Doctors may disagree with his theory of nutrition, but Metaphysicians will declare his soul to be in excellent shape. And now I will butt out too.

i would definetly reccomend hans weishaars book over michaels for instance

Weishaars is a restoration manual, not violin making.

michael told us he would make violins out of any bad wood anyone sent him, that he never taps on wood and doesnt think there is any such thing as good or bad wood

then i read his book and he says just the opposite, he uses only the finest european spruce from the best european tone wood suppliers, has never used sitka etc

well you start to see a problem, at least i do, a bit of a credibility problem.......

Stating that you CAN make a good violin out of any wood, yet choosing to use a certain type to achieve predictable results shows no conflict or credibility problem whatsoever.

I must say that this thread does present me with somewhat of a problem, being a huge fan of Michael Darnton, I want to toot a horn or two, but also being a huge fan of David Burgess, I don't want to leave him feeling left-out, so I propose that we have a wrestling match to settle the issue. :rolleyes:

Yes I know that David has The Hulk Hogan advantage, and so to be fair, I would also like to propose that we have Stradofear officiate the match.

As well since this matter is soo 'dear and near' to soo many, I would also like to propose that it be a caged match, and a fight to the death. May the best man win!

Alright folks .....

lets-get-ready-to-rumble-desperate-dems-political-poster-1287085141.jpg

:D:o:lol::huh::unsure::blink:

Oh and the winner gets the title of Meastro-Maestronetter and goes on to fight lyndon next! :o

Better known as Macho-Maestronetter-Man.

A big warm heartfelt Thanks to 'all' who participate, and to those few who actually contribute towards making Maestronet what it is. Which may on the surface look like I am actually thanking myself, but then I would have to have in some way contributed, which we all know is not the case.

Don't worry lyndon, I get to take on the winner of your match, should there be any survivors. ;)

Is there anyone else who would like to add their name to the Thank You List/Fight Card? Please feel free to add your name, don't be shy, speak-up, or forever hold your pee-ce. :blink:

fine im already getting ready to fight david for the title, did i mention im 6'3" 270lbs, i dont normally get little guys wanting to fight me, but if fight we must

seriously, i dont want to rain on michaels parade, but ive learned more from jefferey holmes comments than michaels, but im primarily a restorer as is jefferey. david and i share an australians appreciation of sheep, bruce carlson,roger hargrave, peter ratcliff, my friend jacob saunders have all made valuable contributions, but i must admit, not being an active violin maker i dont usually read the making threads where michael comments more.

I must say that this thread does present me with somewhat of a problem, being a huge fan of Michael Darnton, I want to toot a horn or two, but also being a huge fan of David Burgess, I don't want to leave him feeling left-out, so I propose that we have a wrestling match to settle the issue.....

..Oh and the winner gets the title of Meastro-Maestronetter

Wow! That sounds like a huge step up from my "Dinky Member" title, and I would certainly wear it with pride (and maybe become slightly corrupted with power) should I be fortunate enough to win! :)

Hang on a minute, the siren song of stardom caused me to momentarily forget that fortuitously, I have been freed from the abject slavery of internet affirmation (deficit disorder). :lol:

For others who yearn for that level of freedom and happiness, here is my brief (less than 50 seconds) “how to” video, starring me, of course (but under a pen-name).

Four prominent Maestronet members, who we all know, gather in the pub, after hours, at a VSA meeting - and attempt to outdo each other, lamenting their "poor years" as "apprentices".

That's good! B)

But actually, when a few highly successful violinmakers get together over drinks (my perspective is that of an observer), they have more of a tendency to confess how much they have yet to learn.

Sam Z for example, might say that he does what he does, and some people like it, but he's always investigating how to do better.

What's up with internet gurus pretending that they have everything figured out allready? Is Darnton's violinmaking success anything compared to to Sam's?

Sam doesn't post here (as far as I know) but anyone with a hundred bucks can gain access to some of his latest research. If you aren't willing to support the research, consider that you may be last in line to get the results.

What's up with internet gurus pretending that they have everything figured out allready? Is Darnton's violinmaking success anything compared to to Sam's?

That's a quotation I would like you to find and post. Where Michael pretends to have it all figured out.

I don't find anything in his postings any more "authoritative" than I do in yours.

my vote is with david on this one, and if for the rest of you thats a vote for michael darton, so be it, davids a lot more fun to party with, especially if he brings sheep!!!

guys right though michael darton is an authority..... on michaels own unique way of doing things.........

Is Darnton's violinmaking success anything compared to to Sam's?

From where I'm sitting, I've never heard of Sam Z. Sam Z has never helped me with the shape of a violin nut. Sam Z has never helped me to fit a peg. Sam Z has never reassured me of my concept of a saddle. I could go on.........

Scott

my vote is with david on this one, and if for the rest of you thats a vote for michael darton, so be it, davids a lot more fun to party with, especially if he brings sheep!!!

guys right though michael darton is an authority..... on michaels own unique way of doing things.........

Laughable nonsense.

Over and out.

From where I'm sitting, I've never heard of Sam Z. Sam Z has never helped me with the shape of a violin nut. Sam Z has never helped me to fit a peg. Sam Z has never reassured me of my concept of a saddle. I could go on.........

Scott

You need get out more. Among modern makers, almost everyone has heard of and respects Sam Z.

He was one of the participants or teachers at the last violinmaking workshop at Oberlin (don't know which, because the title didn't really matter to me, so I didn't ask), and has been a regular at the Acoustics Workshop. Plenty of opportunities to learn from him, if one will venture out beyond the virtual world of the computer screen.

Why do these threads wind up like this? Not much wonder Michael doesn't post that much anymore. I wonder how long it will be before we loose our other real authorities? sheesh.

I'm thankful for all the good advice. I don't mind sifting through the chaff to get the good wheat, that's the nature of a forum, but it seems that the tone is getting somewhat mean spirited around here.

You need to get out more. Among modern makers, almost everyone has heard of and respects Sam Z.

Oh. I believe you, that this, is a real person and that he is all that you say that he is, I just don't understand the reason for the evocation of his name on this thread.

Scott

Offline, losing interest lately anyways

Why do these threads wind up like this? Not much wonder Michael doesn't post that much anymore. I wonder how long it will be before we loose our other real authorities? sheesh.

I'm thankful for all the good advice. I don't mind sifting through the chaff to get the good wheat, that's the nature of a forum, but it seems that the tone is getting somewhat mean spirited around here.

That's always a possibility when you hold an encomium for the living.

Most people pass on before receiving public tributes of this nature.

Glenn

I was thinking the climate was better than it once was. Some really well-informed people, like Bruce Carlson, have posted here today. Not that assaults on the better posters aren't an ongoing concern of mine.

Is Darnton's violinmaking success anything compared to to Sam's?

Is del Gesu's violinmaking success anything compared to Strad's?

Depends on how you define 'success', I think. I used to own a Zyg; I have tried 4 or 5 others. I have at last count tried 3 Darntons.

The Darntons had nothing to envy the Zygs from a sound and playability perspective. Both are world class makers.

Due to my own idiosyncratic approach, I preferred the Darnton Brothers Amati edition overall, which is to take nothing away from his Strad models or Zyg's excellent and very popular del Gesu bench copies. Whether one maker has more "commercial success" than the other has nothing to do with the violins per se but with other factors which have been discussed here before.