Maestronet Forums

Tone Comparison

Don Noon

This is a very poorly played (by me) comparison of 3 violins. This is not a contest to see who can guess the Strad... these are all of my construction, less than 2 years old. As a fiddle player, I know what works for me, but I'd like to get opinions from the other ears out there, to get a better reading on what direction to go with the sound.

Yes, I need a better violinist for a good comparison, but try to hear through that to what the instrument is capable of.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very poorly played (by me) comparison of 3 violins. This is not a contest to see who can guess the Strad... these are all of my construction, less than 2 years old. As a fiddle player, I know what works for me, but I'd like to get opinions from the other ears out there, to get a better reading on what direction to go with the sound.

Yes, I need a better violinist for a good comparison, but try to hear through that to what the instrument is capable of.

I'd say no3. Just don't kill me if I missed the Strad or the Burgess.

These are my first impressions, typed as I listened.

1. a bit muted

2 dark and clean/open

3. Nicest, a little more bright, and (?) more complex.

I agree with Addie. There's a steady progression in sound improvement from 1 to 3, with the second and third having a more clean and clear sound. The first has a bit of an unclear sound, especially on the E string, I'd say. Just my opinion.

Keep up the good work Don! Sounds great!

I'd say no3. Just don't kill me if I missed the Strad or the Burgess.

I'd have to kill everyone. No Strads or Burgessess anywhere near here.

I'll put in my comments on them, from playing them in a band setting last night:

1 - A little weak on E string projection and overtones. Nice elsewhere.

2 - Good E and A, could use more power and growl on G and D.

3 - Best clarity and projection, good growl... E could use a slight bit more fundamental, but good overtones.

Overall, I preferred to use #3 for fiddle work.

+++++++++++++

I like the third one. Perhaps you played better after first and second time.

I have no idea if one was Strad or not. Very close though

Maybe the Strad is a bit easier to play. You can tell the same person playing them. It was you singing.

Digital gymnasics is best left to the professionals.

A few years ago an international soloist and I played a long-pattern Strad within an hour of each other - the difference in the sound was staggering.

Irrespective of the fiddling, I am guessing that you would need the violins compared using high-octane rather than lawnmower fuel to really understand where to go next.

I would say 1,3 then 2. One seemed like it had more density to the sound and the violin had a feel like it wanted to take take off, but was being held back by the playing. Number 3 seemed like it had less density to the sound and "took off" more in the sample but in a less focused and diffuser way, like it lost someting as the sound got bigger. 2 seemed like it didn't take off and didn't really want to.

-Peter

I'll try to put together something more in my comfort zone, in reverse order, in a day or two. Should be easier on the ears, anyway.

I think that's a fine "passage" and you should stick with it - then we always listen to same. There is nothing wrong with the playing.

Don't forget your welding glasses next time - we wouldn't want you to know which one you're playing.

Yep - for Middle Eastern repertoire.

I can't quite figure if you're "clever" or you wanted to insult Middle Eastern people.

Any sample of your playing you might want to bless us with ?

Don is a dedicated maker, great contributor here and without any pretense of being anything but a passionate amateur.

I am honored to listen to him playing.

Yes, the quarter-tones used in a lot of middle eastern music are very hard for western-trained ears to even hear, let alone learn how to play. By relating Don's playing to middle eastern music you've managed to be very rude to him and to a large part of the arab world - maybe this could be like the Danish cartoon saga! You might have to go into hiding .....!

However, I do have an issue with the playing. With the best will in the world I just can't hear my way through the intonation issues to the voice of the instrument.

Don, I've heard you play some really nice traditional music, and that's obviously your thing. Since you know intimately what's required of a fiddle for these purposes, and can test out an instrument within this genre, I would have though that was your best market as a maker .... not enough people are focusing on good instruments for trad, in spite of the fact that this is one genre in which professional players are more than willing to entertain new makers. It's not because they don't have money, it's because they're not brainwashed ...

You are obviously making great instruments and doing a lot of experimentation - why not specialize? Or maybe that's already what you're thinking ......

With the best will in the world I just can't hear my way through the intonation issues to the voice of the instrument.

This is sort of my problem also with this thread - try as I might, I cannot make any decisions based on these clips.

I keep thinking, I'd love to be able to draw a bow across these violins myself, and then make a decision...

I get the "middle eastern" joke. I thought it was funny, but not insulting to anyone. :)

Like I said, I'll post a clip of something I can actually play shortly.

You are obviously making great instruments and doing a lot of experimentation - why not specialize? Or maybe that's already what you're thinking ......

My thinking is to understand the relationship between construction and sound well enough to make whatever sound is desired. Good to have lofty goals...

I keep thinking, I'd love to be able to draw a bow across these violins myself, and then make a decision...

That's what I keep thinking about the Lord Wilton, Soil, Cannone, etc....

However, if you really want to try these out, show up at the VMAAI contest, where I'll likely have some.