Maestronet Forums

Suzuki violin

sailormaysmom

I recently obtained this violin and I do not know anything about it. A friend told me it was a Suzuki and that was all. I have included a few pictures of it with the case and bows. It does look as though it is kind of old. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!suzviolin.jpg[/img]

suzviolins2.jpg

suzviolins3.jpg

I would like to find out as much as I can about it, what is is worth, is it worth getting worked on, should I sell it to get one that is in really good condition....just wondering what to do with it. Guess I mainly want to know what year(s) it is from and how much in this condition it is worth. Thanks..... :)

Have had considerable trouble trying to add pics to this website....this was the best that I could do. Don't know what I am doing wrong....using Image Shack, would like to know exactly what to put on here for it to come out as a thumbnail....

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg191/scaled.php?server=191&filename=suzviolin.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg201/scaled.php?server=201&filename=suzviolins3.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg209/scaled.php?server=209&filename=suzviolins2.jpg&res=medium

I can't tell for sure, but in your first photo, it looks like the neck angle is WAY too low. Way too low for a neck pullup.If this is the case, you will need to have a neck reset done, and who knows what else. Take it to a luthier for evaluation before making any decisions. A full neck reset can be quite expensive. The value of the instrument may not justify the expense. Note: We typically shy away from refinishing instruments.

Hi Sailormaysmom,

Just my thoughts,

I would just clean it good. Do not try to revarnish it! You say,” it is not worth that much”, but it will be worth even less if you revarnish it.

On the neck set , I think it looks like it can be made playable ( maybe not perfect) with a reasonable amount of work. From what I can see, about 2 hours work, a new set of strings, and it would be quite playable.

There are a lot of things that could be wrong with it that can not be seen it the picture!

I agree with most of what 'Jeff White' That said : "If you can give us a pic showing the side of the instrument (in full view), we could most likely confirm Doug's concern. I think he is right and if he is, it's not worth doing."

Only I think it could still be made good enough to be playable. A pic. showing the side would help!

If you could find someone that repairs violins mostly as a hobby . This would not cost you more than the violin is worth.

good luck! Larry

...in your first photo, it looks like the neck angle is WAY too low. Way too low for a neck pullup.If this is the case, you will need to have a neck reset done...

The fingerboard projection does appear to be low, because the fingerboard appears to be close to the top, and also because the bridge appears to have been cut very low. But this can probably be remedied by a shim between the fingerboard and the neck because the overstand also appears to be low. A shim would be a lot easier and less expensive than a neck reset.

...We typically shy away from refinishing instruments.

Yes. A good cleaning will greatly improve the appearance.

I recently obtained this violin and I do not know anything about it. A friend told me it was a Suzuki and that was all. I have included a few pictures of it with the case and bows. It does look as though it is kind of old. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!suzviolin.jpg[/img]

suzviolins2.jpg

suzviolins3.jpg

I would like to find out as much as I can about it, what is is worth, is it worth getting worked on, should I sell it to get one that is in really good condition....just wondering what to do with it. Guess I mainly want to know what year(s) it is from and how much in this condition it is worth. Thanks..... :)

+++++++++++++++

Clean it up first. Use wet paper towel to wipe the whoe violin, then dry it with a clean towel.

Use some violin polish to rub it over. You will see the new face of the oldie. No more than a job to clean your car, not a big job.

The rest you can take your time. "Suzuki violins" usually mean " student garde violins" but my teacher (japanese) told me there were

high grade Suzuki but you do not see them very often. It could run $12K. That is why I do not see thme everyday.

First I would like to say "thank you" to all who have helped.

Don't know if you can tell but the previous owner applied a very thick substance to hide the scratches and did a very poor job of blending it in as the color does not match either, hence my question of refinishing. I am wanting to learn to play the and a friend gave me this one.

Side views of violin.

sideviewsviolins001.jpg

sideviewsviolins002.jpg

Thank you again.

Thanks for adding these 2 other pictures. Looking at them , I think that your violins neck is not as bad as we all thought .

I think you could have it playable with just a new bridge ,strings and maybe a soundpost. I can`t see it, but I see a lot of violins in this condition, and most of them need a new sound post.

Larry