Maestronet Forums

A Rare Old 19th Century Violin. Perhaps Italian? French? English?

stephen maloney

A Rare Old 19th Century Violin. Perhaps Italian? French? English?

caspace ihaformosa offers us choices; please pick a country.

For the record, I may have seen this violin before - in a pawn shop in Candahar.

+++++++++++++++++

The bidding is quite low. The pictures are not close enough to see the detail. Otherwise it is not "rare"

You missed out the Vogtland, which is where the large majority of all fiddles on the planet come from, including this one.

Jacob: Is the color the thing that gives it away? I might have said said German 1920's....shipped to the US in the white and finished here (U.S).

Jacob: Is the color the thing that gives it away? I might have said said German 1920's....shipped to the US in the white and finished here (U.S).

I think the whole thing "gives it away" as a relatively early (1880ish) "dutzendarbeit". I dont imagine for a second that the american did anything but label and sell it, he would probably be much to busy with his rubber stamps.

I think the whole thing "gives it away" as a relatively early (1880ish) "dutzendarbeit". I dont imagine for a second that the american did anything but label and sell it, he would probably be much to busy with his rubber stamps.

Yes, I see what you mean....the scroll is cruder than the 1920's German and other aspects similar. Thank you. I do have a German violin around this era with a similar color which was in fact, varnished by an American, but I agree, mine is probably a rare case.

++++++++++++

It is "rare". To be special it was made one of its f hole higher than the other.

The asymmetrical notches are quite special as well. rolleyes.gif

Can anybody tell me... that is will anybody tell me about the purfling I see so often, that has the extreme narrow light band, and thick black?

Thanks.

(But not on this fiddle)

Was a popular style that they bought from the "Adermacher" in Markneukirchen or Schönbach

Yes, not this fiddle. I had associated it with Markneukirchen-Schönbach via the scrolls (also not this fiddle), but since everyone knows my ID skills, I thought I had better ask. Is there an approximate date range for this style? I think I have seen it for as late as around 1920-1930? Am I correct in interpreting your reply as meaning it was also used on the type in the OP?

Thanks.

Yes, not this fiddle. I had associated it with Markneukirchen-Schönbach via the scrolls (also not this fiddle), but since everyone knows my ID skills, I thought I had better ask. Is there an approximate date range for this style? I think I have seen it for as late as around 1920-1930? Am I correct in interpreting your reply as meaning it was also used on the type in the OP?

Thanks.

No, this fiddle is a bit earlier

Jacob (and others),

do you know where this kind of purfling comes from? I don't ....

Not a Charles Bailly

That's the same as I was asking about. The corners are nicer than I usually see with this type. Also the same purfling that I joked about on the "Richard Duke."

http://milk.shake.org/~composre/violin/Duke/13%20cracksx.JPG