Maestronet Forums

Beating those January Blues

bmccarthy

I get that too. When I was in Salt Lake City, it drove me nuts! 265+ days of sunshine. I used to revel in those rare rainy days. I love the overcast and now that I am in NC, I hate the summers. Rest of the year is great though.

Spend some time in Canada; you'll cherish the summer. I've seen those sun lamps in many stores here, but I just can't grasp the idea of staring into a UV rich lamp as being a good thing. I feel it's better to boost your vitamin intake by eating dead animals and fermenting vegetable matter.:)

I use ethyl alcohol to combat Seasonal Affective Disorder. You can also use it for making or thinning spirit varnish, burn it in your alcohol lamp, cook small animals for dinner,

I feel it's better to boost your vitamin intake by eating dead animals

All these dead animals you're eating up there in Canada, are they road kill?? I hear you eat a lot of moose and skunk up there, never heard of boiling them in alcohol, but there you go, you learn something new everyday. I'm a vegan myself so all that dead stuff don't interest me, I get depressed thinking about it, especially at this time of the year. :)

I carry a shovel around in the truck with me to scrape up any roadkill I find or run down; we only use the roadkill to make garlic sausage because it's usually half ground up. The alcohol is to drink with whatever you happen to be eating, or just as a refreshing beverage without food.

Seriously, moose is a nice meat, it's best cooked slowly or else it can be tough to chew.

Roadkill Story:

Many years ago I was riding with a friend of mine who was driving despite the fact that his license was suspended due to a DWI (Driving While Intoxicated). He hit a deer and the deer died on the side of the road. The car was dented a little and the headlight didn't work any more. We drove a couple of miles into town. Just as we pulled into a gas station to get a headlight, a police cruiser pulled up behind us with his lights flashing. I assumed my friend was about to get into a lot of trouble as he had also been drinking. The officer began telling us about the headlight. I picked some fur out of the bumper and showed it to him and told him about the deer. He got very excited and immediately asked "When did it happen?!" and "Where did it happen!?". He then ran back to his cruiser and left quickly with his lights flashing and the siren on. My friend got the light fixed and then we headed for the nearest bar.

Roadkill Story:

Many years ago I was riding with a friend of mine who was driving despite the fact that his license was suspended due to a DWI (Driving While Intoxicated). He hit a deer and the deer died on the side of the road. The car was dented a little and the headlight didn't work any more. We drove a couple of miles into town. Just as we pulled into a gas station to get a headlight, a police cruiser pulled up behind us with his lights flashing. I assumed my friend was about to get into a lot of trouble as he had also been drinking. The officer began telling us about the headlight. I picked some fur out of the bumper and showed it to him and told him about the deer. He got very excited and immediately asked "When did it happen?!" and "Where did it happen!?". He then ran back to his cruiser and left quickly with his lights flashing and the siren on. My friend got the light fixed and then we headed for the nearest bar.

I'll bet the cop went to retrieve the carcass, and took it home to make garlic sausage.

My wife and I were traveling east of Edmonton a few summers ago, and we came upon a young couple that had just hit a deer. There was deer hair and little bits of flesh and blood everywhere inside the car, the windshield was smashed out completely. Fortunately they were only scratched up a bit.

The strange thing is the back half of the animal and some intestines was just beside the highway near the car, but the front half was nowhere to be seen, and there were fresh tracks in the ditch. My guess is the car tore the animal in half, and the front half kept running some distance after being struck. The sad part is the couple were just embarking on a cross Canada trip on their honeymoon, and they only made it about 30 miles out of town.