Maestronet Forums

How about this new italian budget violin?

chrissweden

http://www.ebay.it/itm/violino-di-qualita-Rara-opportunita-da-non-perdere-solo-3-giorni-/120837455058?pt=Archi_e_Strumenti_a_Corda&hash=item1c22793cd2

I said "Italian" but it's actually from a Swiss workshop. Is this really made in Switzerland or was it imported from China and finished in Switzerland?

I personally like the looks of the scroll and F holes (Amati style right?) I won't be buying it as I can't return it if I don't like the sound :(.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/violino-di-qualita-Rara-opportunita-da-non-perdere-solo-3-giorni-/120837455058?pt=Archi_e_Strumenti_a_Corda&hash=item1c22793cd2

I said "Italian" but it's actually from a Swiss workshop. Is this really made in Switzerland or was it imported from China and finished in Switzerland?

I personally like the looks of the scroll and F holes (Amati style right?) I won't be buying it as I can't return it if I don't like the sound :(

++++++++++++++

Italian violin. Why not? You may have to wait 300 years for it to open up.

Why not? I see a lot of s%$t on ebay... so there has to be a catch right? Of course it's a workshop violin but still... i contacted some cremonese builders and they all charged over €7000 for commissioning a violin.

I'm hoping on hearing some thoughts from the experts about the quality and finish of this particular violin.

The photos are really too small to judge, but the varnish looks OK, possibly a rather thick oil varnish like Haemmerl, application and treatment a bit hurried, particularly on the neck & scroll.

The outline looks good, the f-holes are a bit weird, very open at the bottom, the scroll looks crude. I doubt this is a Chinese violin that's been revarnished, more like an apprentice instrument.

On a slightly different tack, I have played a lot of modern Cremonese violins and other Italians from this century, and have been completely horrified by the tonal quality.

Violin Tone Evaluations

Maybe all the really bad ones end up in Tarisio sales .....!

The photos are really too small to judge, but the varnish looks OK, possibly a rather thick oil varnish like Haemmerl, application and treatment a bit hurried, particularly on the neck & scroll.

The outline looks good, the f-holes are a bit weird, very open at the bottom, the scroll looks crude. I doubt this is a Chinese violin that's been revarnished, more like an apprentice instrument.

On a slightly different tack, I have played a lot of modern Cremonese violins and other Italians from this century, and have been completely horrified by the tonal quality.

Violin Tone Evaluations

++++++++++++++++++++

It is hard to compare a Cremonese violin with a low priced Chinese violin. Here is my question:

Are there people who always plays a German made violin but once upon a time played a Cremonese violin, then he or she finds

himself or herself being cheated? (nobody tells them Cremonese violins are totally different animals) The sound of the notes like coming from

sound of a flute, not from a violin. Are such experiences possible?

Violin Tone Evaluations

I read that page a few days ago and was shocked by some highly appraised builders having a low score on one of their violins. I also note that price doesn't mean anything.

Can you tell me if this also applies to contemporary makers currently working in Cremona? It's such a maze of builders that it's nearly impossible to find a good contemporary maker whose instruments will be sought-after in the days to come.

It wouldn't be fair to generalize, I only come across modern Cremonese violins that find their way into auctions. These are unremittingly awful, and appear to be the product of an ethos of making that is completely divorced from playing. But I imagine most towns with a Violin School produce a lot of terrible violins, Newark is no exception!

I'm not the sort of person who would commission a violin - I've seen too much variation in the work of really good makers not to want to play the thing first. But if I was looking for a new violin, the last place I'd go would be Cremona, since you pay double for the fact that it's Italian, probably quadruple if the maker's name ends in a nice vowel (a or i).

I don't know if you're in Sweden (your name suggests it) - if so, there are phenomenal makers in Sweden and in Norway.

It wouldn't be fair to generalize, I only come across modern Cremonese violins that find their way into auctions. These are unremittingly awful, and appear to be the product of an ethos of making that is completely divorced from playing. But I imagine most towns with a Violin School produce a lot of terrible violins, Newark is no exception!

I'm not the sort of person who would commission a violin - I've seen too much variation in the work of really good makers not to want to play the thing first. But if I was looking for a new violin, the last place I'd go would be Cremona, since you pay double for the fact that it's Italian, probably quadruple if the maker's name ends in a nice vowel (a or i).

I don't know if you're in Sweden (your name suggests it) - if so, there are phenomenal makers in Sweden and in Norway.

We're going a bit off topic here but can you name some Swedish makers I should visit? I'll be going to Stockholm in a few weeks and have free time on my agenda so I could visit some.

Peter Westerlund, Per Klinga (at least if you are a fiddler), Thorbjörn Zethelius, Stefan Lindholm I guess he was with Sam Z for a while. You could also include Birger Fredrickson in Guthenberg, a hobby maker, but he sold one of his fiddles at the Landon Ole Bull exhibition to the youngest OB player competition winners. I think his prices are quite reasonable and he is quite active as a maker now being a retired engineer from Volvo. His father (and possibly grandfather) ran a violin shop, so he is more 'educated' than most amateurs, I think. His daughter play the violin.