Great here we go again with another pissing in the wind thread :( gets really old. Why even go there :(

I really want to stay around here to learn and one day contribute but it is getting difficult with some folks.

It would be very cool if you can post some photos of the cabinet.

Thanks,

PF

I agree, PF. As I was just telling a friend, after a while you cannot put up with this poison and cannot help but react. I too feel like leaving MN because of this.

Now, for the fun stuff - I will post more photos after The Strad issue has had time to be aired. See the above posts about that.

Stay Tuned.

Mike

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look forward to reading your article when I receive the January issue; it'll probably show up in February or March sometime.

I've been interested in the CNC path for awhile. I've been using the plate copying router that my friend gave me, but it's tedious to make a new template every time I want to make changes to the arching or outline.

I enjoyed reading your article. I can see that making the original 3D design of the violin plate can be tedious and labor intensive especially using new software if it is done by hand. Does the Shark CNC machine have the capability of reading the contoured surface of a violin plate and then recording that data so that it can cut a duplicate from that data?

Just curious

I enjoyed reading your article. I can see that making the original 3D design of the violin plate can be tedious and labor intensive especially using new software if it is done by hand. Does the Shark CNC machine have the capability of reading the contoured surface of a violin plate and then recording that data so that it can cut a duplicate from that data?

Just curious

You might want to checkout 3D probes for CNC machines.

3d-digitizer-800.jpg

DeskCNC TP-100 Probe and Toolsetter

Probing routines project for Mach3

3D Probe

I was joking the other day that because of the lack of snow, Canada Post can't run the dog sleds; too much friction on the runners.:)

Around here, the snails pulling the mail wagon must have shriveled up and died from the dry heat: 80F (27C for you civilized folks) and 30% humidity.

Hope it arrives before this thread gets too old.

I agree, PF. As I was just telling a friend, after a while you cannot put up with this poison and cannot help but react. I too feel like leaving MN because of this.

Stay Tuned.

Mike

Michael,...PLEASE don't leave us...think of the red-blue shift,or some other happy thought :lol: .It's one thing to read an article in a magazine and a whole nuther thing to engage in a dialogue ,your contributions here are highly respected by myself and I am sure many others...For a guy that has his head wrapped around the stars you are are very grounded.

Great here we go again with another pissing in the wind thread :( gets really old. Why even go there :(

I really want to stay around here to learn and one day contribute but it is getting difficult with some folks.

I just imagine a cartoon character: 6.gif

talking in a very low, slow, blasé voice.

Try it with me. "the sky is falling were doomed its your fault i knew this would happen" with no emphasis, no punctuation marks, no capitalization... etc.

OBTW Well done, Michael and Don! B)

I can no longer tolerate lyndon's poison. This is my last post.

Stay Tuned.

Mike

I took a 3-month break from internet forums over the summer. It's good to tune out for a while. Clears the head...

γνῶθι σεαυτόν smile.gif

You know... Usually I take what moderating needs to be done here in stride. Not really a big deal... but like everyone, stuff happens away from the board that occupies one's time and causes one "worry time" that has nothing to do with violins or the board. This is one of those times, for me. I have little humor for this situation today.

I suggested a little mutual respect on another thread. Now I find a thread that, honestly, I hadn't watched closely (because I figured it was a nice friendly congratulatory one, as it started out to be) has been derailed and sent to the crapper. To add insult to injury, a long time, usually very level headed, contributor to the board has thrown in the towel.

Hopefully, that's not permanent... but it's obvious my request on the other thread was ignored, at least by some, and a member's patience has dried up because of it.

Really.. what is there to prove? Does pushing an idea or concept at every opportunity until everyone is too tired to disagree make one a genius? Is it required that you agree with a concept or idea presented by another participant? This is a discussion board for, well, discussions. Let's have them.

I'd really suggest that those posting with an agenda they can't seem to control stop and self-analyse for a moment. Post with some respect. It's either that, or I start using some of the tools I have at my disposal to control the flack that's hitting the board. That would be unfortunate, in my opinion, as it kinda slows things down (I run a business... I have a family... I don't sit around waiting for posts to appear so I can review them).

I hope I'm being clear enough.

Sincerely, your used violin salesman and mechanic,

Amazing situation. Reminds me of a National Geographic essay I saw once, where lions were eventually driven away from their food by hyenas. Probably insulting to the hyenas, I suppose, but that's what comes to mind.

Maybe I'll take a break...

Jeffery,

As a seller and fixer of used violins, maker of new instruments, family man, and business man you bring a style to being moderator that I appreciate

....how you have a chance to DONATE your time to MN is a mystery...but thanks. And you know that this business we are in is some serious fun...

lyndon,

I try not to offer advice on things I don't know about...but this is something I know all about. We talk about some complex and serious stuff here...

but as long as we don't take ourselves too seriously we will all...you included....have more fun.

and that's all I have to say about that.....

on we go,

Joe

I can no longer tolerate lyndon's poison. This is my last post.

Stay Tuned.

Mike

Mike,

I am afraid I am at the very thing you have decided. I hate it, I really do. I am not a long time poster nor anywhere in this universe as talented per say as you and many others that post, help, and offer some great advise and opinions. But my love for violins, fiddles, building, and just the overall excitement -whatever anyone might want to call it is side by side with anyone here on MN (I just got to the party later).

Jeffery: I do not see how you do it either but appreciate what you do -thanks once again for all that you do here.

I wold like to thank those of you here that have fueled my passion even more for this wonderful Viol world of instruments I have learned SO MUCH here from reading (and listening).

All the best,

PF

Jeffrey:

You just deleted my recent post... I don't understand why, but the combination of recent tone and moderating... I think a break is a good thing too.

E

E;

Yes I did. Some messages can amount to throwing fuel on a fire. I had the fire hose out.

BTW: That message could have been communicated via PM. Still can be.

• 2 months later...

A friend of mine told me I should get on this forum because you all were changing your attitudes toward the use of cnc equipment in taking out the trash, after all you never cut any thing that becomes the violin, only what doesn't. it appears that is some what true, but there are those who will never see it that way I suppose. I have been using such equipment for 20 years and find it refreshing that there is a change in the attitude. Im think for individuals who wish to make a living at the luthier business, survival dictates adaptation to the times. It doesn't matter how close to finished your parts are, it's what you can do with them that makes the deference.

by the way, mdf and neoprene gasket cord make great vacuum hlod downs cheap.

A friend of mine told me I should get on this forum because you all were changing your attitudes toward the use of cnc equipment in taking out the trash, after all you never cut any thing that becomes the violin, only what doesn't. it appears that is some what true, but there are those who will never see it that way I suppose. I have been using such equipment for 20 years and find it refreshing that there is a change in the attitude. Im think for individuals who wish to make a living at the luthier business, survival dictates adaptation to the times. It doesn't matter how close to finished your parts are, it's what you can do with them that makes the deference.

by the way, mdf and neoprene gasket cord make great vacuum hlod downs cheap.

I forgot about this thread. Thanks for resurrecting it rcwilliams. And welcome to Maestronet!

Just before I went on sabbatical :D I see that I promised to show some photos of the CNC dust cabinet. I promise to get to that soon.

Vacuum hold downs are cool for sure. But it is easier for me to use 1/4-20 socket head bolts with washers, risers, and standoffs. Different strokes ... .

As I said before, CNC machines are no substitute for workmanship. In fact I have seen my CNC work improve over time, much like learning how to use any tool.

Stay Tuned.

Mike