Sign in to follow this  
DennisVta

Website showing elements of the master's models?

I want to be able to recognize the differences between the key elements of Strad, Amati, Stainer, etc. and have searched with no success for websites that directly compare and explain them with side-by-side photos or diagrams. Can anyone steer me to a site that does that?

Could look at tons of pictures at cozio.com or auction sites maybe.

I've done that, but without knowing what to look at the differences are mostly too subtle to see. The scroll differences are the only element that are clearly evident.

I´m afraid I can´t direct you to any particular website but one way to learn and compare the ¨key elements¨ as you say is to invest in some of the Strad posters where you will find full size images with dimensions of some very fine instruments including Strad and Amati. I´m not sure if there are any Stainer posters. They´re expensive enough by the time you include postage but well worth it. Not exactly what you were looking for but something to consider. W

I want to be able to recognize the differences between the key elements of Strad, Amati, Stainer, etc. and have searched with no success for websites that directly compare and explain them with side-by-side photos or diagrams. Can anyone steer me to a site that does that?

Dude, you're already here :) . Start a thread asking about the differences between a few different makers on one paricular element, then keep creating different threads about other particular elements you'd like to know about. There are some world class restorers here who are wonderfully generous with their photos and first hand experience.