Sign in to follow this  
actonern

sore back making violins

I only meant that Michael's diatribe against water was a joke. The EEU's position is laughable, but unfortunately real.

The EU has not banned the use of vitamin supplements, the rulings are intended to stop manufacturers making unjustifiable claims and to help stop people damaging themselves with high doses, such as happens with vitamin A.

The EU has not banned the use of vitamin supplements, the rulings are intended to stop manufacturers making unjustifiable claims and to help stop people damaging themselves with high doses, such as happens with vitamin A.

Muswell: I notice you are there in Europe. Could you briefly say what the rulings are then? I only know what I've heard here. Thanks.

Maybe not. I'm blessed enough to have an internal medicine guy, also a musician, who has advised against surgery for years (though it has been recommended to me many times), based upon outcomes, with some interpretation. Pill popping and surgery have better statistical outcomes in many cases, because average patients aren't sufficiently motivated to do some real work. Ya can get people to submit to surgery and taking pills more easily than getting them to commit to learning, or a lifelong maintenance regimen.

He too is one who claims that Xray and MRI pictures of spinal problems don't correlate well with pain and disability.

This is very good advice! My back problems improved dramatically when I started jogging again after many years. Started very slowly on a treadmill and now can do 3-5 miles at a 3.5 mph pace. My need for medication has markedly decreased and my ability to do things has significantly increased. I have also really stretched out, which I think may be more important than the running. People often overdo it and quit because they hurt. Starting really slowly is important.

This is very good advice! My back problems improved dramatically when I started jogging again after many years. Started very slowly on a treadmill and now can do 3-5 miles at a 3.5 mph pace. My need for medication has markedly decreased and my ability to do things has significantly increased. I have also really stretched out, which I think may be more important than the running. People often overdo it and quit because they hurt. Starting really slowly is important.

Yep! Running is just about the worst thing you can do aerobically if you want to lose weight. Preserve your joints-lose the weight with a low/no impact exercise THEN start running.

Ricardz

Here are some links. The first is the BBC which is usually pretty unbiased

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4670971.stm

http://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/press/euromyths/myth92_en.htm

http//ec.europa.eu/food/food/labellingnutrition/supplements/index_en.htm

I'm not an expert on this but I can spot the signs when vested interests start lobbying.

Do

++++++++++++

" He presented his findings to the AMA and they were not interested...... " (quoted)

It is appropriate not to let it presented. Things that our grandma knew.

Don't you know that:

1: Water doesn't hydrate, according to the EEU.

2. Water is deadly poison. Not only does it cause water intoxication and hyponatremia, it's often fatal if inhaled, and if not fatal, can cause aspiration pneumonia, which can be life threatening.

If the world had any sense at all, water would be universally banned! Banned, I say!

Next, we'll be investigating he ominous correlation between birth and death..............

(Interesting book, BTW)

I heard that they have been putting di-hydrogen oxide in our water treatment plants for years and it has filtered into the water table. We are doomed !!

DB

Don't you know that:

1: Water doesn't hydrate, according to the EEU.

I seem to be defending the EU again.

First, you have to know the attitude the Telegraph takes in any story on the EU.

Second, the people selling water were promoting the idea that unless you drink 2 litres of bottled water a day you will dehydrate and toxins will build up. Whereas all that matters is that you get enough water from various sources, and the body does not need flushing out to get rid of toxins. I see people jogging short distances, here in London in winter, slower than I walk carrying water in case they dehydrate. I have been running for 32 years, in all seasons and only ever taken on water when racing marathons. On the other hand we have had cases of people who have died from drinking too much.

On the other hand we didn't invent the seat belt warning chime.

As for back aches, excess weight :rolleyes: and inactivity are the usual suspects.

And the prime suspect: getting old.

I'm not overweight, I'm reasonably active, but my left ankle and left elbow are the only things that don't hurt... yet.

As for back aches, excess weight :rolleyes: and inactivity are the usual suspects.

++++++++++++++

Eat too much = " excess weight " who is to blame? Food industry.

If you play violin a lot. It may help. One possible solution. I never see a violinist on the fat side.

Muswell:

Thanks for the links. I agree the BBC does some remarkable unbiased reporting, however, to me the first two links are very vague unsubstantiated reassurances that in no way compare to what I think of as examples of their good investigative journalism. I couldn't get the third link to work. These are huge subjects and I'm sure one could easilly find out what the downside of this legislation is. I really don't feel like recreating it here.

Also: regarding water, the book I mentioned in a previous link (The Bodys Many Cries For Water) is a description of case studies by a doctor who did in fact cure many diseases by having his patients drink large amounts of water. Sounds like they didn't read his book when deciding on the EU ruling on water healing claims.

++++++++++++++

If you play violin a lot. It may help. One possible solution. I never see a violinist on the fat side.

Ever see a photo of Eugene Ysaye or, for that matter, of David Oistrakh or Alfredo Campoli?

++++++++++++++

Why blame the "food industry"? Take personal responsibility.

I've seen many "fat" violinists. When last did you see a photo of David Oistrakh?

I've seen many "fat" violinists. When last did you see a photo of David Oistrakh?

It's hard to take personal responsibility - we're not living in a vacuum. The food industry

works on our mind.

It's also what we eat rather than how much. There's so many additives and preservatives in store bought food that it would be naive to think they won't have some long term effects on the body. Despite the occurrence of pestilence in Strad's time, the food available was probably much healthier than what we have now.

Fine, but if the high-volume food industry doesn't deliberately target known human weaknesses, their ingredients coincidentally track pretty closely.

Fine, but if the high-volume food industry doesn't deliberately target known human weaknesses, their ingredients coincidentally track pretty closely.

In full agreement. Why doesn't the food industry take any responsibility for the consequences of what they sell? If any other product is defective and causes harm it is recalled or removed from the market.

Oded

how much Vit D constitutes an overdose? Are there any symptoms indicating toxicity?

Oded

Vitamin D is one of the vits that dissolve in fat (vits D,E,A,K). An overdose produces high calcium levels in blood, from bone and diet, and can cause kidney failure, calcifications of soft tissues, mental status changes, coma and death. Once toxic its takes months to years to get back to normal because the fat stores have to be depleted. 1000-2000 IU (international units)/day is usually safe. I have seen hypercalcemia in patients taking 4000 IU/day. On the other hand, if you are vit D deficient you have to be loaded to bring the fat stores up to normal before the blood levels come up. There are many loading regimens, but in general it takes about 400,000 IU to load up. I prescribe 50,000 IU each week for 8 weeks, others use different regimens. I have never seen toxicity using my (standard) loading dose. I'M an endocrinologist and see lots of vitamin D deficient people here in far N. California. Vitamin D toxicity is rare, but very problematic when it occurs, requiring treatment with prednisone for a long time (it counteracts the effects of vitamin D).