Maestronet Forums

Rare violin Lost (Philadelphia)

Lundberg

I haven't been traveling in this circle at all lately but when I saw this I thought of the Maestronet community. Really couldn't decide of Fingerboard or Music Happenings was appropriate place to put this, so if it needs changed pls tell me & I'll change it.

The story as I read it on Comcast news is quite short, so I am pasting it here. (there;s a copyright notice from AP on it but I'm not selling it for gosh sakes, so I took the liberty of pasting it in here:

Here is the URL:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-odd/20111223/US.Rare.Violin.Lost.Bus/?cid=hero_media

And here is the article so you don't have to leave the page:

AP - PHILADELPHIA — Police are asking for the public's help recovering a rare violin worth $172,000 that was left on board a Boston-to-Philadelphia bus by a groggy music student from Taiwan.

Philadelphia police say the instrument was left in an overhead bin on a Megabus late Tuesday.

Muchen Hsieh (moo-SHEHN' SHEE'-uh) tells KYW-TV she noticed she didn't have the violin after getting picked up by the family hosting her visit to the Philadelphia area. She called the bus company but was told the instrument hadn't been found.

Hsieh says a Taiwanese culture foundation lent her the violin as she studies at the New England Conservatory in Boston. It was made in 1835 by Vincenzo Jorio in Naples.

Lt. John Walker says the instrument can be returned to Philadelphia police, no questions asked.

haven't been traveling in this circle at all lately but when I saw this I thought of the Maestronet community. Really couldn't decide of Fingerboard or Music Happenings was appropriate place to put this, so if it needs changed pls tell me & I'll change it.

++++++++++++++

If you have to carry a valuable violin to travel, it is better not to carry many other stuff. Our attention is limited to only a few things of important.

• 2 weeks later...

It was found later that same day by one of the people cleaning the bus and it's now back in the hands of its caretaker, safe and sound.

++++++++++++

Thank God with such a happy, lucky ending.

I would be terribly upset if I lost $1k let alone $172k. It was not a peanut amount. It is like 25% of your house burn down.

• 4 weeks later...

!

It's amazing how often this sort of thing happens. Yo-yo Ma, Kremer, the Korean girl with the Pressenda...

I've found the only way to avoid this is to never lose contact with the case - wrap the strap around your hand or

ankle or whatever. The worst is to put in the overhead rack; sure way to forget it.

My friend left a fiddle on the LIRR; he got it back tho.