Maestronet Forums

fitting a sound post

Mat Roop

I've also been humbled by tension settings that I couldn't seem to get my head around more than once ... each time I've done my best to figure out why it worked, though.

I'm still in the basic reasoning stage... trying to make sense of what I hear. But with my current project, the SP seems to wind up in the same place, no matter how many miles I put on it, so at least I'm consistent in what I'm hearing. That's a start, isn't it? ohmy.gif I still need to try different tensions on a smaller than 1mm scale.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last few days I had an email from Cremona Tools advertising a cool looking illumination and endoscoping system called DISCOVERY http://www.cremonatools.com/ .....if it works as claimed it would be a good tool for post fitting/adjusting and even solving a few arguments here maybe!? :) If all works as claimed we can gently retire our dental mirrors and diode inspection lamps

In the last few days I had an email from Cremona Tools advertising a cool looking illumination and endoscoping system called DISCOVERY http://www.cremonatools.com/ .....if it works as claimed it would be a good tool for post fitting/adjusting and even solving a few arguments here maybe!? :) If all works as claimed we can gently retire our dental mirrors and diode inspection lamps

Very cool tool. I remember something like this in the movie RED VIOLIN. Now it is affordable for just about any shop or maker/repair person. Amazing how fast these things can be produced and made affordable.

I have a wholesaler friend who buys and sells old violins. Something like this would be an important tool for him. He is always looking for old repairs, signatures, brands, and whatever else may have been left inside old fiddles.

Berl

You can buy USB endoscopes with @5mm diameter camera heads and built-in light, flexible shaft, for under $200 in the US. VGA resolution, color. It's not clear to me what makes this rig worth the extra $600 - $700.

Cool, I figured out how to use this quote thingy (above).

Nonado, where have you seen these? Are they made for the medical field? jeff

£40-£50 for a 7mm diameter camera on ebay, if you're willing/able to insert it through the end button hole rather than the f-hole. Probably what you'd want to do for soundpost fitting anyway? I get the feeling it would quickly turn out to be too much of a faff, and you'd end up going back to the "old" way. Great tool for appraisers/restorers, though.

• 2 months later...

Takes too much talent... which defeats the purpose of karaoke. blink.gif

It's funny how we can be be deceived by language, especially if like me, (as I have often pointed out on this site), you are dyslexic. (Thanks for the spell check). I had no idea what you were all talking about. Until I ask a Japanese friend I thought that 'Cary O'Key' was an Irish locksmith.