Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Noykos

Incandescent light bulbs

This may have been discussed before. The US government is phasing out all incandescent light bulbs by 2014. By January 2012 they are phasing out 100 watt ones. Does anyone know if they will be available for special purchase or do I need to clean my local Lowes out of light bulbs?

I can't comment on this subject without criticizing our elected morons. all parties included, too political. I wonder about the continued availability of light bulbs in Canada. Will there be a market for light bulbs brought over the border and will this be illegal? One rented storage unit filled with light bulbs may be a good investment, people do this with O.S.B. sheets in my area quite often.

Scott

They will still be phased out. If you like them and you bought a bunch, that wasn't a bad idea. I bought a big bulk on Amazon and they are still available.

I use flourescent tubes in my little one room home workshop (no windows) and don't have any problem with the color of them. When I turn on all sixteen 8' high output T12 bulbs in reflector fixtures, they use 10.2 amps of power at 124 volts, and if that isn't quite enough, I also have twenty more 4' T8 in diffused fixtures that can be used separately or simultaneously with the T12's. Since all 13 of these fixtures were given to me free, and I haven't had to change a bulb since I installed them in 2005, I'd hate to think of the cost to install enough 100 watt incandescents to equal the amount of light that I have now. I have astigmatism and wear bifocals, so all the light helps alot. Even though the walls and ceiling of my shop are white, it is not excessively bright when all lights are on.

Soon you'll only be able to buy incandescents on the black market, along with gut strings, ebony and garlic sausage. People will have to paint their windows black to prevent being turned in by passerby redcoats that see incandescent light emanating through the windows. You'll only be able to play gut strings barricaded in the root cellar where no one else can hear the beautiful tone, and garlic sausage will have to be consumed behind locked doors with the blinds drawn down.

They recently passed a law in our area making it illegal to eat a hamburger while driving, and lowered the blood alcohol level for impairment to .05mg. - I always have at least that, even when I'm not drinking!

This world is just going to hell in a hand basket.

News flash!! A man who claims to be a violin maker was arrested for violating a number of serious offenses whilst driving. At the time of his arrest he had consumed 06mg's of alcohol, was eating a hamburger, and was transporting a rather bizarre consignment of assorted illegal products including a box of incandescent light bulbs, garlic sausages, gut violin strings and, strangely, several gallons of black paint. Fortunately the latter product is not illegal......yet. To be continued. :)

Incandescent bulbs are safe to live for another day!! Washington reported this morning that the DOE won't be able to enforce the bulb ban. This was slipped into the most recent federal spending bill passed yesterday. jeff

Incandescent bulbs are safe to live for another day!! Washington reported this morning that the DOE won't be able to enforce the bulb ban. This was slipped into the most recent federal spending bill passed yesterday. jeff

That's only for this fiscal year. In other words, you _might_ get a one year reprieve when it comes to enforcement, but don't count on it. Everybody, especially light bulb manufacturers, can see the the writing on the wall.

Late Thursday night, Republicans in Congress – contrary to public desire – inserted a last-minute rider in the federal omnibus spending package in an effort to thwart better bulbs.

Luckily, they didn’t do it all that well. The legislative rider pertains only to funding for federal enforcement of federal lighting standards for this fiscal year.

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kkennedy/new_light_bulb_standards_withs.html

++++++++++++

Sharp knifes often hurt your fingers.

We don't ban knives all together.

Don't be too sure of that. I've heard of more than a few construction sites that have a ban on utility knives with an exposed blade. Apparently workers now are only allowed some new kind of utility knife that has a plastic guard around most of the blade, which greatly reduces the usefulness of the tool. I witnessed this myself when a worker was trying to open a cardboard box of electronic gear; he had much difficulty trying to cut the shipping tape because there wasn't enough exposed edge of the blade.

The overabundance of our species and our propensity to burn things has led to a problem. Light bulbs are a tiny part of the problem. Pernambuco is another. Have you heard about the Canadian forest problem? Maybe you should buy spruce!

We are coming to the end of technical fixes. And the alternatives are not pretty.

In Britain, firearms have been banned for the most part. Subsequently knives are being used to take up the slack in the personal assault business. A UK inventor has come up with a knife with a blunt point, which might be mandated to replace the more dangerous pointy kind. (It's unclear to me what they plan to do about the edge).

Meanwhile, pint glasses are increasingly being used in pub assaults. So they too are on the way out.

In the foreseeable future, our British cousins will be eating mush through straws, while wearing padded suits and helmets.

It's for the children.

For those of you with the stamina to have read this far, be aware that fluorescent lights put out a lot more UV than incandescent. This can cause color fade over time.