Sign in to follow this  
martina hawe

Perspiration

Hi everyone

I havn´t been around MN for a while... but I thought this is an interesting shot to share.

During a recent concert broadcasted on TV I could cut out this small picture showing clearly to how much sweat an instrument can be exposed during a performance.

I don´t mean to expose anyone here, playing is hard work and I´m sure players are sensible enough to care of their instrument after the concert, I was simply amazed to see this.

Martina

post-24034-0-40786300-1323638515_thumb.jpg

I've known two very heavy "stress sweaters", both of them were beer guzzlers, I mean, these guys could really knock back the beers.

Scott

Hi everyone

I havn´t been around MN for a while... but I thought this is an interesting shot to share.

During a recent concert broadcasted on TV I could cut out this small picture showing clearly to how much sweat an instrument can be exposed during a performance.

I don´t mean to expose anyone here, playing is hard work and I´m sure players are sensible enough to care of their instrument after the concert, I was simply amazed to see this.

Martina

Martina,|

Interesting. As we know, some players have TOXIC sweat....I hope this is not the case here.

on we go,

Joe

Martina,

That's a great example of one kind of wear and tear violins suffer in professional settings.

One violinist I knew would salivate excessively when playing, and the top of his fiddle was covered with spittle.

Stage conditions are not very hospitable to instruments. For men, performing in a monkey suit, under hot stage lights, pumped with adrenaline, I'm actually surprised to not see more drenched instruments. At least some women get to bare their shoulders, which possibly helps in the ventilation department.

I don't think the picture is Joshua Bell (since that doesn't look like his fiddle) but he's known for profuse perspiring from the head.

Martina,

Was it Schoenberg’s Violin Concerto?

Good to have you back.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

The concert was Brahms violin concerto.

At work (in my "new" life as a restorer) we see those left over sweat drops that have been overlooked by the players when cleaning the instrument after a concert and they seem to really be attached to the varnish!

I´m not barely sweating like that even when I go running!

cheers

Martina

toxic...like the sweat strips the varnish off........................

Joe

the ammino acid L-Cysteine and the stronger version (More bioavailable) N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine

will give you sweat to melt metal among other things,,

It can be used to dissolve heavy metals in the body,,, so essential fatty acids can pick them up and remove them.

If a person has been taking much of this,,or for some reason their paticular metabolism has a higher consentration in the blood,, they can wreck your insrurment in short order.

Years ago when I was doing a lot of playing,,there were guys known as "acid paws",,,

and if they played your guitar the strings would be dead as soon as they got through !!!

NO one would let them touch any thing !!!!

Their own axe would have the finish off the neck,,big holes in the fingerboard,,and the strings were always rusty !!

I have reason to take lots of this at times,,(to get the lead out!)and when I do,and I play the fiddle my fingers look like the tin man,,not just dark,,but a thick layer of metal will build up on my fingers,,,brite silver color

Boy oh Boy can I burn through a set of "Dominats" ,,,,and brass strings make the fingers black.

But when I don't take it at all,,my fingers won't even get dark.....