Sign in to follow this  
daddy-o496

Gouges for scroll carving.

edi are you ramping up an soaking and visa versa on the cooling down process?

Hi "sinjin"

Yup - that's how the digital control got added to the furnace. Annealing the blades took close on 22 hours.

Violin88 - But M2 requires rapid heating after the preheat. Doesn't this mean you need two furnaces?

here is the official word on M2

http://buffaloprecision.com/data_sheets/DSM2HSbpp.pdf

Note that, on the heating cycle, it's actually the soaking at odd temps that's the important bit - the rate of heating isn't critical.

Cooling and tempering is something else. One has to give the various alloying elements time to change their crystal structure - come out of solution of each other and various other wonderful things.

Michael Molnar - my father said one phase of the process involved a "salt bath".

Yup - What the salt bath does is to control the rate of cooling down to a certain temperature - then holds it there to allow the full depth of the steel to reach that uniform temperature (reducing internal stresses). Sometimes you then follow this with further quenching.

Quenching mediums vary from air (gentle), oil (mild), water (quickish), brine (super-fast) and historically even mercury (ultra fast & not at all safe) quenching.

At University I was more than a little interested in Metallurgy - gave some serious thought to making it my career.

cheers edi

Yup - that's how the digital control got added to the furnace. Annealing the blades took close on 22 hours.

22 hours for the which steel, ?

I am just setting my oven up. do you have some program times for high carbon steel you could pass on? thanks