Maestronet Forums

Stradivari family vs Ford Mustang Boss 302

JPherson

Fellow, the car was parked when this happened. It burned. That's one of the downsides of plastic cars. :lol:

Even steel cars have enough plastic in them that they will go up like a torch, once they start. I watched a 1969 Volvo go up, once--flames 30 feet in the air, or more. When it was done, the only thing left was the chassis, frame, engine and axles. Basically, everything that wasn't steel had burned up. Very impressive, seeing the windows explode one by one, tires the same-- the gas tank was almost anticlimactic, as I was expecting a real explosion. The tires were a nice little garland of steel belting, hanging around each of the wheels.

I've seen the same--a Chevy Blazer fulfilling its destiny. The intensity of the heat and flames was really quite shocking. Fuel leak, I think. It was at a toll stop in Chicago. Saw a gas tanker go up once too. Driver rolled it on a cloverleaf. He was lucky to get out. The mushroom cloud was very impressive.

i had an incredible violin around 1990 that i though was a ruggieri, it certainly looked like one and sounded like one IMO we had taken it to hans weishaar who spent a good 20 minutes looking it over and over, from every angle after which he pronounced, "this is a czech violin, quite nice" of course my boss didnt believe him and had taught me hans was part of the dreaded "violin mafia" and pointed out as i was well aware, hans had never spent close to 20 minutes looking at anything we had taken to him before, and so i was led to believe hans had lied to us because we were hacks and he didnt want any more money flowing into our coffers so we could buy and ruin more violins, to this day im still not 100% sure but i cannot rule out the possibility that it was indeed a ruggieri.

ok heres the punch line i was driving my fiat 128, worst car they ever made, when the fuel line broke it caught fire, and by the time the fire dept arrived it had just hit the gas tank and 20 ft flames were shooting out the back, well that violin was inside a wooden violin case inside the fiat and it survived!!! imagine that, but the varnish was ruined with bubbles all over it, again horrible confession time, i had already revarnished it because in my opinion the varnish wasnt original, so i revarnished it again with identical varnish after the fire, artificially worn and i must say tonally it was no worse for wear.

An article after my own heart. Love the new Boss, though I've always had a soft spot for mid-80's turbo Buicks: Aerodynamics like a brick, corners like a mattress, sounds like a buzz-bomb, but with very minor tweaking will run a 10-second 1/4-mile... Probably more like an EH Roth than a Strad. :D

That was an amazing car! I had a Pontiac Fiero with a built Chevy V-8 shoehorned in (plus a little shot of nitrous) during the era when the Buick tweaks were going really strong, and the Buick was a tough competitor!

"Violin, Antonio Stradivari, 1710, with garland, tables and neck by David Burgess. Est. $2,000–5,000." tongue.gif

Since the scenario is pretend, can we at least pretend that the fiddle would fetch a higher estimate? :(

Melvin, here's a nice twin-turbo Vette for sale for only 28 thousand dollars. :)

Probably good for over 1000 horsepower, although it's only tuned for 700 right now.

Don't ask how long it takes to change the spark plugs. :lol:

IMG_1261.jpg

Wow that is one wicked engine bay! Was/Is that your ride? If so what were the HP and TQ numbers? What RPM did those twin hair dryers spool for peak TQ?

EDIT What turbos are in there. Did you vary the size so the power did not come on like a hammer and spin the tires off the rims???

I'll trade you a violin for my Evo that is for sale.

http://www.sccabb.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10560&PN=1

Wow that is one wicked engine bay! Was/Is that your ride? If so what were the HP and TQ numbers? What RPM did those twin hair dryers spool for peak TQ?

EDIT What turbos are in there. Did you vary the size so the power did not come on like a hammer and spin the tires off the rims???

I'll trade you a violin for my Evo that is for sale.

Not my ride, and I don't know the details, except it resembles a PTK turbo kit, which are considered one of the most potent, though no longer in production.

This is the engine compartment on my car. Belt-driven Paxton supercharger, and less of a mess.

superchargedcorvette.jpg

OK I bet your Vette is a TQ monster with a supercharger. I used to have a Miata that I put a supercharger on. It was fun to drive. A real sleeper with great power to weight ratio.

My Evo is pretty cool in how much power a 2.0L engine can make with 23+ lbs of boost. The 4 wheel drive really puts the power to the road!!!

Yeah, the all-wheel drives will pretty much annihilate me off the line. With street tires, I'll spin to at least 60 mph.

Not so much of a torque monster. That's a centrifugal blower, so boost rises with rpm.

No burn out with AWD. Especially with Hoosier 285 Race tires. Releasing the clutch to launch is key. Not a 32nd note but more like a dotted 16th!!!

I have launch control on the EVO rev to 5K and dotted 16th on the clutch release. You should hear it. It sounds like a raging Japanese dragon B)

I hear there are a few fast cars in Japan that you could pick up at a bargian, if you're into the repair and restoration thing...

post-25192-0-63314800-1323390952_thumb.jpg

My interest in exotic cars is unfortunately academic at the present time; kids and minivan is my reality.

Saw that. Just because you can afford a Ferrari doesn't make you a driver!

This Enzo story is interesting

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-report/the-resurrection-of-the-enzo

... can we at least pretend that the fiddle would fetch a higher estimate? :(

My auction house, my rules. I already signed the waiver and terms and conditions on your behalf. Don't tell me you want to withdraw the star attraction the day before the sale????!!!!!!

I'm sure you realize the estimate was a come-on. I have 3 shill bidders lined up. We're sure to blow your auction record through the roof.... that's how the business works, isn't it?

[edit] Wait, I thought this was email... I hope it didn't end up on the web or anything.

17.gif

David,

What is your 1/4 mile best time? I have never taken mine to the strip...at least a closed drag racing strip ;)

Nothing impressive. High 11s, with about 100 horsepower less than I have now. I'd need stickier tires, more practice, and a day with decent air density to run some OK numbers. I used to take a motorcycle to the dragstrip regularly, and kind of burned out on dragstrip racing.