Maestronet Forums

Lowendall Artist

coffee

Hi everyone, After looking at old sears catalogs I got the bug for a nicer violin from that era. I purchased this one on ebay and while I'm waiting for it I was wondering if anyone here could give me more information on this instrument or what I might be in for to bring it back to life. I posted this over at fiddlehangout as well.....

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-LOUIS-LOWENDALL-VIOLIN-ARTIST-MODEL-1899-/130586397454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e678e4b0e#ht_7096wt_1163

thats about a high wholesale low retail price for a lowendall in that condition, does it say lowendall on the back of the scroll, i cant see from the pic, the label could be real or not, the scroll does look like a mint condition lowendall im selling for 2000, but mine doesnt have its original label, and is not the artist model, whatever that is, but it sounds hopeful, if you feel the need to clean the top, please, please dont try to do it yourself, and pay for a real professional to do it,proper cleaning will put it up in value (and a poor job will make it lose value), the better the cleaning and touch up the more it goes up in value, so its worth having it done right, in other words dont shop around for the cheapest shop to do the job

It looks good - there's a lot of rosin deposit on the top, and the f-hole edges have been worn a bit (probably by an amateur fitting a new soundpost), but these are cosmetic issues.The top could be cleaned up (but I'd recommend getting a luthier to do it ....)

The pegs look like a bit clapped out but they're a nice original set so if they work I wouldn't change them.

Lowendall violins have always been well regarded in the trade, and this seems like a nice purchase. They retail over here (UK) for around £2000 if the condition is good.

The only thing that might be an issue is the neck angle. I can't tell if it's just the position of the bridge, but it looks like the bridge and the fingerboard aren't lining up, and that the fingerboard is set slightly left of centre. On a valuable violin one would want to correct this by re-setting the neck, but there are various cheaper fixes which should deal with this one - and it may not be quite as significant as it looks, perhaps the sort of thing that could be fixed just by moving the bridge a mm to the left.

Keep us posted!

ps. just read lyndon's post - as usual we agree!

wear in the right places doesnt devalue a violin much at all, cracks on the other hand are another story, like i said if you put the money into a proper cleaning and possible varnish touch up, your violin should be worth slightly less than an unplayed mint specimen, which probably wouldnt sound as good as it hadn't been "played in"

well, surprise! its in rough shape, my luthier found some open seams, suggested a neck re-set, a new bridge. and a new sound post. The good news is there are no cracks and the seller agreed to paypal me the amount of the quote. I know I should return it for it not being in the condition described, but the seller is working with me, and , well, there is something that i like about this violin.

does this sound completely crazy?

well, surprise! its in rough shape, my luthier found some open seams, suggested a neck re-set, a new bridge. and a new sound post. The good news is there are no cracks and the seller agreed to paypal me the amount of the quote. I know I should return it for it not being in the condition described, but the seller is working with me, and , well, there is something that i like about this violin.

does this sound completely crazy?

++++++++++++++++++

It is crazy if you return a violin just for some minor things. I assume the violin sound please you as it is .

Even a very good violin when it changes hand needs some adjustment.

++++++++++++++++++

It is crazy if you return a violin just for some minor things. I assume the violin sound please you as it is .

Even a very good violin when it changes hand needs some adjustment.

My thoughts exactly - I think maybe you told your luthier you bought it on Ebay, a sure-fire recipe for a big repair bill.

My thoughts exactly - I think maybe you told your luthier you bought it on Ebay, a sure-fire recipe for a big repair bill.

++++++++++++++++

Many years ago I bought a violin. On the next day the saddle of the violin fell out, I was shock.

It was a no return sale. I was very upset. If I knew then as I know now, it was nothing.

Just glue it back, what is the big deal? Many violins parts are not supposed to be glued like pieces of furniture.

When a time comes for repair, it is better off that way.

Thats good news! I did not mention it was purchased on ebay. the first luthier I took it to ( a very respected shop in boston ) didn't even want to touch it, saying it needed too much work. the second one, seemed to think it worth his time but said the exact same thing as the first... I found the sound was very dull but I assumed that was because of the gut strings that were on it. I haven't tried putting new strings on yet because the luthier thought it wise to fix the seams before "it all comes apart" as he said.

Also I'm not sure if I mentioned it in my previous post ( there's a delay in my posts showing up ) but yes, he issued me a partial refund to get the repairs done.

+++++++++++++

I think the seller is pretty nice. He or she probably wants to make sure you will be pleased with your purchase.

PS. How do you get the top clean up? (with all these rosin deposit) Can you show us your pictures? (before and after)

That makes a lot of sense to me, I am taking the forums advice, I dropped it off this morning and am having him fix the open seams and put on a new set of dominants. I feel I got in way over my head with this purchase, and although I think everything will work itself out, I do not plan on buying a fiddle from Ebay again, waaay to much stress for my tastes

That makes a lot of sense to me, I am taking the forums advice, I dropped it off this morning and am having him fix the open seams and put on a new set of dominants. I feel I got in way over my head with this purchase, and although I think everything will work itself out, I do not plan on buying a fiddle from Ebay again, waaay to much stress for my tastes

+++++++++++++

(delete double)

+++++++++++++

Glue back anything loose and put new strings. Check it over agian. Then play it. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Any violin is needing some attention first time. It is normal. Yours is no exception. Ebay is Okay. Some people

want their action quick. Nothing wrong with it. Usually I would consider sales that would have return option.

+++++++++++++

(Delete double)

• 1 month later...

++++++++++++++++++

No risk. no gain. Be happy.

Most violins can do quite a decent job if you put a set of good strings on it.