Maestronet Forums

New to the Site

ZachB

Hello all! New to the site here. I'm getting back into playing the fiddle after about a 10 year hiatus. I played for a number of years through grade school and high school, and after I left for college I simply stopped playing. Looking back I reget that, but hopefully I can get back into practice soon. I have a nice sounding old Maggini copy violin that I have taken to a Nashville shop to get set up again.

Anyone have tips for getting started again after a long break? I'm thinking about finding a local instructor to get me started off again. Any good online resources you all could recommend?

Zach

Hello Zach, for starters try and use a soft rubber ball or purchase a finger strengthening device costing around $10. Even though both the left hand and the bow arm are important, you will need to regain strenght and dexterity in your left hand and this is one way you can do this while reading or watching TV. Another way is with your fiddle in hand and do silent trill exercises. You do not seem to of been away from the fiddle for a great lenghth of time so you should be able to pick up where you left off in a matter of months. I wish you all the best. OT

Hello all! New to the site here. I'm getting back into playing the fiddle after about a 10 year hiatus. I played for a number of years through grade school and high school, and after I left for college I simply stopped playing. Looking back I reget that, but hopefully I can get back into practice soon. I have a nice sounding old Maggini copy violin that I have taken to a Nashville shop to get set up again.

Anyone have tips for getting started again after a long break? I'm thinking about finding a local instructor to get me started off again. Any good online resources you all could recommend?

Zach

+++++++++++++

It is about violin music (pieces). Some violin pieces if you hear them again it seems to call you to pick up your violin and play them out.

How can you to resist? Try Tartini's sonata for example. It is so beautiful. Schubert's seranade, Mozart;s concerto, Bach Partitas.. etc.

I hear ya. That's kind of where I am now, I guess I have the "bug" you could say and can't wait to get my instrument back from the shop to start practicing again.

+++++++++++++

It is about violin music (pieces). Some violin pieces if you hear them again it seems to call you to pick up your violin and play them out.

How can you to resist? Try Tartini's sonata for example. It is so beautiful. Schubert's seranade, Mozart;s concerto, Bach Partitas.. etc.

Right hand culture, for violin, viola, and cello players

The Mastery of the Bow and Bowing Subtleties: A Text-book for Teachers and ...

Picked my violin up from the shop today. Pleased with their work; I also had a Wittner Ultra tailpiece installed - I like it so far. Finger positions seem to be coming back, and I was able to get through some simple sheet music, but I clearly have a long way to go to get the strength in my hand back up and regain some dexterity laugh.gif I need a different chin rest too. What used to be comfortable is no longer .. blink.gif I also think I'll be finding a local instructor to assist for a while, I don't want to develop bad habits.