Maestronet Forums

Violinmaking Schools in America...

carl weve been through this many times before, im retired from instument building, run a violin restoration shop, part time out of my house, im a keyboard player, not a violinist and have built about 20 historical copies of baroque clavichords using spruce soundboards and my "secret" violin varnish on the soundboards,

my old clavichord website, clavworld.com is preserved by web.archive.org at the third link below at the bottom of this page, while the websites of my friends and colleagues are still active if you click on their name, the web hoster has only preserved about 10 pictures of my work,

to see the few pictures go to the website and click on lyndon taylor under north american builders, then click on under instruments, clavicord 1, and also instrument7; the cembal d'amour (pics taken before it was finished) these are the only pictures, as the web hoster is free, they dont have enough webspace to save all my pictures,

instrument 1 is totally varnished on the outside and the soundboard with my nitric acid coloured "italian" varnish, if you want to read about my work, click on the article; "reconstructing silbermanns cembal d'amour" to read about my historical copy of by far the largest clavichord ever built (9 1/2 feet wide!!), at the time one of about only 5 in the world, silbermann was a close friend of js bach and invented this instrument as well as the early german piano bach famously made two visits to try out

finally heres a link to lyndon taylor playing bach on a stradivari, no kidding

well, not THE maestronet lyndon taylor, but he is my best customers brother, and he plays for the LA philharmonic, im still dying to see his strad, and no im not going crazy, there are two lyndon taylors, i hope to god my reputation isnt rubbing off on him.

+++++++++++++

Who is that violinist? Good playing. Bravo. I wish I can play that well. Lyndon Taylor (My salute to him) One more taylor I like.

When I was in college we used a Calculus Text book by Taylor, another taylor. A lot of talent Taylors.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fellow,hes lyndon johnson taylor, not me (lyndon johann taylor), he was born in michigan 6 months before i was born in sydney australia, his father morris taylor was a keyboard instructor at an adventist college i briefly attended and i took lessons on harpsichord from him, his children were all musical and they had a respected quartet, the taylor family string quartet, i think, where he played lead violin, and his sister lucille played viola, and two other siblings on violin and cello,

he is back from playing as assistant concertmaster for the new zealand philharmonic, and now leads the second violin section and solos for the los angeles philharmonic, a position he had before going to new zealand, he plays a stradivari violin on loan to him from the symphony, and also owns a guadagnini, hes a really nice guy, incredibly accomplished and in more ways than one, the exact opposite of me, i sincerely apologize to him for any discomfortature of any of my postings being mistakenly attributed to him, unfortunately if you just do a google search of lyndon taylor, you might even think we are the same person, or me him, or him me

if you want to hear something really strange, i play clavichord and my number one favourite piece is the allemonde of bachs french suite number one, lyndon came over to try out some violins i had, years ago, and sat down at my clavichord, and with no prompting played that same french suite piece from memory, its almost like were opposite twins, but believe me im the bad one, not quite evil, i hope, one thing for sure, he plays clavichord way better than i (dont) play violin

michael, i bet you run your car on arco regular, seriously i dont believe you, i think youre starting an old wives tale of your own, michael, i say that because i have a lot of respect for you as a builder, and i would quickly lose a lot of that respect if what you say is actually true

michael, i bet you run your car on arco regular, seriously i dont believe you, i think youre starting an old wives tale of your own, michael, i say that because i have a lot of respect for you as a builder, and i would quickly lose a lot of that respect if what you say is actually true

Well, darnnit! Another fan bites the dust!

It is interesting, Mr. Darnton; You are the third or fourth master maker who has intimated or flat-out told me, that the "ringing" of the wood is not necessarily of value. Two of them told me plainly, that they could make a great violin out of any wood (I assume, in the context of those conversations, that they meant any spruce and maple)--and that the key was knowing how to deal with THAT wood, taking into consideration what it is.

Sounds like a good goal.

sorry cob, but i just dont believe some of these guys, i think a lot of it is old school secrets they dont like to give away, let me give you a perfectly valid analogy that sounds completely ridiculous but is just like michaels statement above; "i dont think having a secret formula for varnish is important, i dont even think varnish effects the tone, i can get equally good results with any kind of varnish, what matters is only how good i am as a builder, send me batches of your old varnish, id like to use them, it doesnt even matter to me what the ingredients are because i can make anything sound good"

ok ill stop there, but i hope you get the drift of what im saying, the number one most important ingredient of a quality violin is not the varnish, although that is very important, but the wood, any proffessional violin maker that trys to tell you that the selection of the wood he makes violins from is not important is either lying, misinformed, or just plain ignorant,

michael darton, im calling you out, this is complete bs, you know full well the selection of the wood is important to and a big influence on the tone of the finished violin, but IMO in your petty attempt to discredit my serious attempts here to further the craft and pass down the secrets that were passed down to me about tap tones, you have basically attacked everything ive been trying to say, by replying its complete rubbish, well i think your contribution is rubbish

sorry cob, but i just dont believe some of these guys, i think a lot of it is old school secrets they dont like to give away, let me give you a perfectly valid analogy that sounds completely ridiculous but is just like michaels statement above; "i dont think having a secret formula for varnish is important, i dont even think varnish effects the tone, i can get equally good results with any kind of varnish, what matters is only how good i am as a builder, send me batches of your old varnish, id like to use them, it doesnt even matter to me what the ingredients are because i can make anything sound good"

ok ill stop there, but i hope you get the drift of what im saying, the number one most important ingredient of a quality violin is not the varnish, although that is very important, but the wood, any proffessional violin maker that trys to tell you that the selection of the wood he makes violins from is not important is either lying, misinformed, or just plain ignorant,

michael darton, im calling you out, this is complete bs, you know full well the selection of the wood is important to and a big influence on the tone of the finished violin, but IMO in your petty attempt to discredit my serious attempts here to further the craft and pass down the secrets that were passed down to me about tap tones, you have basically attacked everything ive been trying to say, by replying its complete rubbish, well i think your contribution is rubbish

No Lyndon, YOUR conributions are rubbish and your tone offensive. Michael's contributions basically made the forum for many years. I'm getting tired of your crap. Find some other support group.

my sincerest apologies for highjacking the thread, i tend to follow threads by simply responding to the previous post, not thinking about how they sync into the original topic, carl stross, who knows full well what i do, baited me to talk about the violins i made, so i did a bio because carl was seriously questioning my credibility as a maker, IMO, and i believe i have plenty of credibility as a maker, then kinda as a joke i threw in the you tube video by "me" then fellow wants to know who is that, so i go even more off topic, so im sorry, im glad the new thread started

carl in all fairness, i dont know if you know this, but just as you and others follow everything michael says as gospel, theres another group that follows my posts with equal interest to the way you follow michael, is one of us wrong, probably, but thats what a forum is, no ones saying you have to use incredible wood to make violins, it was a free country but you can do whatever you want, IMO if you dont care how your violins turn out, use anything and everthing you can think of, if you want your violins to sound like stradivaris, use the same or similar quality of wood and varnish as stradivari did, if you want your violins to sound different from everyone else, use materials and methods no one else is using

i think you are making the mistake, carl, of thinking i am on some crazy crusade to make everyone do things the way i would, not so, the stuff i am trying to pass on is the old timer methods that are dying out, not being used any more, or being closely guarded as secrets, i went to work for my first boss when he was 85, worked till he was 93, my second boss was about 87 and i was working for his son when he died at 99, these people dont teach you the same stuff you learn at violin making school, so in closing, im old school, how the buis was taught to me by old timers

AND CALL ME OLD FASHIONED BUT I THINK THE OLD WAY IS BETTER

well most of it

This business would be so easy if the d@#$ed Victorians had never written a violin book and left their romantic claptrap in their minds instead of putting it permanently on paper!

Amen Brother,,,I say violinmaking is the second most superstitious religion in the world.

You've all heard about the trade "secrets"

There are even more trade lies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

(I'm sure written by wellmeaning,,,,uh :huh: