Violin sound projection

Hello,

I´m trying the violins I made in Newark and I have a problem with number one. It is a strad model, 16mm high top, on the he thin side. It has a nice tone but not carriying. The sound does not travel mostly on the high register. I tried moving the sound post a little loose and it is getting better but not enough I think. I know it is the first one but, any advices??

Many thanks

Perhaps fitting a sound post a little more in the treble direction (perhaps nearly even with the edge of the bridge foot), a bit closer to the bridge foot than usual, and/or a little tighter may help. There's going to be an element of trial and error, but that's where I'd start. Good luck.

Doug

Hello,

I´m trying the violins I made in Newark and I have a problem with number one. It is a strad model, 16mm high top, on the he thin side. It has a nice tone but not carriying. The sound does not travel mostly on the high register. I tried moving the sound post a little loose and it is getting better but not enough I think. I know it is the first one but, any advices??

Many thanks

++++++++++++++++++++

Did you test how far the sound travel for knowing that it does not trval far enough?

You need at least two persons, one plays and one listens at some distance. You need to have two violins

to compare. For that reason, I have never had tests of my violins.

I have head some expensive violins were played, and I did not hear any difference. They always say I have hearing

problem. Most violins I know have some carrying power. Small percentage of those are very loud to the pount becomes disgusting.

I do not like to play next to that guy or that gal.

Bridge height is limited by what is reasonable in terms of string height over the end of the fingerboard (unless you want to reset the neck). A lower saddle can increase the angle slightly if you've got enough tailpiece clearance. Thinning the crown of the bridge (the portion under the strings) can brighten the sound. There are other factors that could produce a dark toned instrument independent of setup, such as excess internal air volume (ribs too high for instance). You can also brighten the instrument by changing string types. Evah Pirazzi's seem particularly bright to me.

Doug

we tried the instrument in the rehearsal room, which is big enough for 1100 people. quite big. There was other violin for reference (mine too but much powefull). The text was quite reliable I think.

Doug, related to the saddle, they talk here about a 157-158 angle but you can really have less than 157 quite easy even with a normal high saddle. That is confuse to me since in the Newark school they advise us to lower the saddle the most to increase load in the top, obviously the angle was always smaller than 157.

Thanks