Maestronet Forums

The Big One : which violin players you do not like

Carl Stross

I'd guess this would be really interesting because the way they play DOES have an influence on violin making and set up.

I can't stand Perlman. I find him utterly talentless.

My favorite is Ferras ( but only when he's not crying too much ).

What say you ?

I say I'm ROTFL! :D

(face it, not everyone can take a joke!)

I'd guess this would be really interesting because the way they play DOES have an influence on violin making and set up.

What say you ?

Bit harsh on the Perlman front mate !!!! If only I was a half as talentless ..... sigh !!

Gotta love Accardo, and one to watch.. Maria Shalgina.

I'm a big fan of Yehudi Menuhin, David Oistrakh, Maxim Fedotov and Australia's own.... Richard Tognetti

LOL!! That talentless sot is the reason I fell in love with the violin as a kid. Too bad I'm not a tenth as talentless as he is.

I suppose, as far as violin players go, I dislike myself. :P

I don't think there are any top soloists whom I dislike. I like them all in their own unique ways.

What say you ?

++++++++++++

I am not that smart to say I agree with you or not. If I said I do not agree with you then you demend an explanation.

If I said the room is too hot, You can say no too. Then who is right and who is wrong? Like any work of an artist, it is always true that some like it and some don't.

nevertheles, someone who has been there (top), will win my utmost respect.

A little game within this game. I don't want to say who the violinist was, but some years ago I would turn the radio on in the car and if a violinist was already playing, I'd try to guess who it was. I would also pass judgement, since, after all, I was being objective. If I really didn't like it, it was always the same violinist. I finally got to where I would say, "Well, since I don't like it, it must be _______!" When the announcer came on at the end of the piece, I was always right. You guys can fill in the blank according to your opinions.

Correspondingly, I once played a recording of Ricci playing a serious concerto (but I forget which one) for a very sophisticated violinist. And told him he'd never guess who it was. I felt that Ricci is better than people give him credit for, and I thought this would prove it. My sophisticated friend went through every name in the book and never came to Ricci's name. I'm not sure that proved anything, but I find it interesting. Looking back it was kind of like the girl at the bar, who knows all about astrology and is sure you are a Leo, and goes through eleven signs before announcing, "I knew you were a Scorpio."

The dangerous thing about this game is that if you're going to diss someone it had better be for such a good reason that you can explain and everyone says "Oh! You're right! I never noticed that before. This changes everything!" Otherwise, someone smarter than you will come along and tear you to shreds. . . and there's always someone out there smarter than you are. Picking on a player who is widely-acknowledged to have been one of the greats, or a similarly positioned composer--Mahler, for instance--you'd better come better armed than to say something that implies to those who do get it that your dislike is something better than a function of your complete lack of sophistication and understanding of the subject. Violin makers could listen to this advice, too, but I know they won't.

Having said that, I have to say that Ferras is not near the top of my list for one specific reason: I think I have heard all of his recordings, and it does appear that he would have inevitably and unavoidably made the happiest bubblegum pop sound like a funeral dirge. Had he made more recordings with a wider range of music, I think this serious shortcoming would have become more obvious. That his renditions of naturally depressing pieces might drive potential suicide victims over the edge more effectively than possibly any other player's version could. . . that I will not deny.

I would prefer to say who I do like: Isabel Faust.

I have a similar reaction to a specific player as Will mentioned: every time I hear him, I recognize and dislike him. I say that, and violinists (always it seems to be only violinists who really like him) suggest one of three pieces that I simply must hear to understand how good he is. In the pop world, that's called a one-hit (three-hit?) wonder, not someone with sustainable star power. Nevertheless, because this forum is populated only by violinists, I will keep my mouth shut.

"which violin players you do not like ( this one needs real courage )"

I would have to nominate Jack Benny because of his ineptness as a violin player. However, this was his "shtick" as a comedian many years ago. He played very poorly while appearing to be serious.

As a kid, I loved his Sunday night radio show but he was even better on TV because of his droll and exaggerated facial expressions as he played his violin.

I'll tell an interesting story about Jack Benny. I can't attest to the truth of it.

Supposedly he studied for a while with a violin teacher named, if I recall, Baldassari Furlazzo (sp?). A friend of mine says that Furlazzo said that Benny's problem as a violinist was that he thought vibrato was supposed to be fun and easy. I'm not passing judgement on the statement or trying to read anything into it, just passing on the story for what it's worth.

This is a tricky topic. For instance the original "Perlman is talentless" is one of the most absurd statements that has ever been uttered on this forum. You may not like the way he plays, though perhaps it should be said you don't like his interpretations. I find most people who don't like Perlman fall into one of these categories:

1. Younger people are bored with his interpretations and style as it is the one that most younger violinists use and thus it is now boring. ( the same fate that Heifetz' reputation suffered when I was young, as well as the next)

2. His interpretations and musicality are so smooth and fluid and everything fits together so well, and his techniques it so stong that it appears that he is not working hard or trying very hard.

If you heard one or two recordings of Perlman that aren't so good, I suggest you try a few more. He is one of the top two or three most consistant violinists.

That being said, here are the ones that I don't care to listen too. All are extrememly talneted, skilled, and are artists of the highest order. They're playing just doesn't do anything for me. More than likely, I am the one at fault in my inability to appreciate what they do. However, I bet if I made a recording as good as any of these guys, I'd be very proud of it.

Much of Isaac Stern, Menhuhin, Starker (cello), Rose (cello), Bell(listening big fan, watching no - figure that one out), Kreisler, Elman - almost all the old school prior to Heifetz. Most concert violists except Pinkas Zuckerman.

Hi all,

Important thing to do is to keep your mind open. One thing I do not like is that the world has only one violinist., same guy every time.

It is the fast thing to turn people off.

Similar situation is true for violins, people talk about violins, and makers as if there are no other violins or makers. The truth is that the person does the talking has not tried

other people's violins. Ther are many good out there, more than he could imagine.

that shows how different tastes can be. Kogan and Ferras are without any doubts 2 of the most moving violinists I have ever heard, whether technically or in their way of approaching a piece. I believe Kogan's rendition of Shostakovich is tremendous, but again it's just a personal feeling.

I'm going to go with Leonid Kogan.

Amazing technique/facility.

The dullest, most boring musician I have ever heard, not one ounce of creativity, IMO.

This post is certainly a very interesting one, as I wonder if there isn't an age gap. I have followed Kogan as a very young student and even met and talked with him on one occasion. To me, he has already gone down in violin history as one of the very best. Even though he came out of the old Russian school of violin playing and was a most serious person, unlike Perlman, his playing was simply outstanding.OT

Not the biggest fan of Andre Rieu or David Garrett.

Observation; I feel Rieu is in a separate catagory as his orchestra and music is always his focus and not him or his playing, which is average for the type of music he specializes in. He has accomplished a great deal with his orchestra as being one of a kind and certainly has a very large following. OT