Maestronet Forums

I am thinking of refinishing this one.

tinman

Anton Schroeter Geigenh(b)aumeister Mittenwald/Bayern Made In Germany

I have this old viola that I am thinking of refinishing. I might play it, save it for one of the kids or sell it. I don't know yet. It is very scratched up, has indentions in the top where the bridge feet are, the fingerboard looks out of shape to me and some deep scratches where the fine tuners have dug into the top.

It was a student viola and not taken care of too well.

Sorry for my lack of correct terms of instruments. :)

I am going to post some better pictures to day when it warms up outside. :D

Ditto on not refinishing. Old instruments should not be refinished unless as a last resort. Some skilled cleaning and retouching can do wonders for an old instrument without ruining the value. Ever watch Antiques Roadshow on PBS? Occasionally you'll see something like: "This piece of furniture of furniture is worth about $4,000. If it hadn't been refinished it would be worth $25,000.". The same applies with instruments.

...Occasionally you'll see something like: "This piece of furniture of furniture is worth about $4,000. If it hadn't been refinished it would be worth $25,000.". The same applies with instruments.

But don't take this to mean that your viola is worth thousands of dollars. Anton Schroeter instruments are very cheaply made for beginners, school music programs and rental instruments.

Anton Schroeter Geigenh(b)aumeister Mittenwald/Bayern Made In Germany

I have this old viola that I am thinking of refinishing. I might play it, save it for one of the kids or sell it. I don't know yet. It is very scratched up, has indentions in the top where the bridge feet are, the fingerboard looks out of shape to me and some deep scratches where the fine tuners have dug into the top.

It was a student viola and not taken care of too well.

Sorry for my lack of correct terms of instruments. :)

I am going to post some better pictures to day when it warms up outside. :D

+++++++++++++

You actually mean " touch up" ( save the old varnish as much as you can, right?)

I'm trying to be open minded, and I "get" the conservator mindset...

But how is re-varnishing a cheap instrument different than taking a Chinese instrument "in the white"... opening it up, regraduating, re-fingerboarding, re-doing the setup etc...

No similar insistence, generally, for the principle of respecting "original intent" there...

If it was crap 50 years ago, why the reverence?

E

How do you know that an Anton Schroeter even has varnish on it originally?

Quite a stretch from an Anton Schroeter to a Guadagnini.

Should I repaint my 1978 Datsun B-210 that's been in a roll-over accident? And can I do it myself? No, because a classic Duesenberg is worth more with its original finish.

BTW -- http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=324850 (post #4 for photos)

FWIW, I don't think the OP would gain much from refinishing it, and actually has a great deal to lose. It could end up a pathetic mess, unless he has some experience.

I'm trying to be open minded, and I "get" the conservator mindset...

But how is re-varnishing a cheap instrument different than taking a Chinese instrument "in the white"... opening it up, regraduating, re-fingerboarding, re-doing the setup etc...

No similar insistence, generally, for the principle of respecting "original intent" there...

If it was crap 50 years ago, why the reverence?

E

Main reason being that I have had a lot of instruments through my shop that have been "refinished" by amateurs, and almost all of them are nasty looking, and acoustically dead from having 10 times as much varnish as they should. Even with an old student violin, IMHO you are better off just to touch it up and keep on going. Refinishing is not worth the time and effort.

They might be crap to begin with, but IME at least, they almost invariably end up being worse crap for being refinished.