Sign in to follow this  
sqviola

Bottom and Top Block Depth (Thickness?)

I've been leveling the blocks on a mold I made based off some plans I have and also have been recently reading J&C's book on violin making. In the book they say that the top block thickness including the thickness of the rib should be 18mm and the bottom should be 16mm. Due to the recesses I made in my mold, mine are only going to be 16.5mm for the top block and 13.5mm for the bottom block (assuming the ribs are 1mm). Are these smaller dimension going to cause problems particularly when it comes to fitting the neck?

No. Just round the corners of the top block, leaving it mostly flat, I find it is even good for tone.

Hi Manfio

Do you find the tone gets a bit deeper (darker) with that shape of topblock?

Thank you all for the answers. I'm glad I can continue on. It's taken me long enough to get to this point without having to go back a few steps, haha.

Manfio: Is there a minimum value that I shouldn't go past for structural reasons?

If I leave the blocks too thick I will loose the vibration area, perhaps.

Manfio,

Does this differ for Violas? If you don't mind my asking, how thick do you typically make them for your Violas?

If you look very carefully at old instruments with flat-faced end blocks you will find that the block faces are never parallel to each other. Like so much of Cemonese violin design the little things are often subtly different from what you think.

In this case I can only assume this avoidance of parallel faces is intended to prevent standing waves being set-up.

Just gave a look in the viola I am making, the lower block is 14 mm thick (including the rib), and very rounded, the top block is 16 mm thick and 53 mm wide and flat.