Maestronet Forums

Gammuto Fecit Philadelphia Violin strikes again on eBay?

I love ads like this - so many loopholes in the wording, almost an art form. There is no claim that this is an actual "Gammuto" violin, if you read carefully. The title itself is for a "Gammutu", the violin was made by a luthier in Philadelphia for his "grand dougter" (sic). It could be any luthier the way it is worded. Typical of many grandiose eBay ads, no need to get one's knickers bunched up over it. If one learns the language, they become quite humourous and admirably evasive in pinning down the actual maker of the item.

It says he has a dog called Spanky.

But leaving that aside, what are you saying here Moonboy? Is this not a Gammuto violin?

There was a huge scandal involving Gammuto violins a couple of years back which involved Mr. Gammuto putting up pictures of "violins he made" on his website but it turned out that he got those pictures from other well known makers. There were other issues as well involving Gammuto violins which you can read here: My link

• 9 years later...

I grew up with the Gammuto family outside of Chicago. His brother Jimmy worked for me as a bartender. The Father is a medical doctor. There is no Giovanni Gammuto but I guess if your going to buy Chinese violins and sell them as your own work you should change your name.

8 hours ago, Bill Yates said:

I grew up with the Gammuto family outside of Chicago. His brother Jimmy worked for me as a bartender. The Father is a medical doctor. There is no Giovanni Gammuto but I guess if your going to buy Chinese violins and sell them as your own work you should change your name.

Welcome to the forum!   Thank you for your contribution of oral history, but I'm not at all sure that this particular dead horse deserved to be kick-started.  :ph34r::lol:

For those who don't recall what this pertains to, here's the whole thing in a nutshell (large coconut):  https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/318640-giovanni-gammuto/  :rolleyes:

It's been a while since a zombie thread was resurrected, but I'm not sure its necessary for this one to be.

The practices contained within, continue to go on with others. All one can say is do your homework before you buy, but it seems rather too many buy first, and then ask when it is too late.