Sign in to follow this  
Jacob

What's on your bench? Mk3

Your latest, Jacob? Do you frequently do baroque style instruments? I don't recall seeing one in the past.

Awfully glad to have you back, by the way. I missed your postings.

I am ready for the purfling of the back plate for the 1/8 violin It's funny to work with lilliputian plates.

the garland is ready too. the linings are simply wooden sticks I got every time I get a coffee. they have the right thickness for this small violin and they bend easily.(with a back plate for a full size violin for comparison.)

As people were talking about gluing top plate, I use the rubbing method, and so far so good. the holder is very primitive, just 2 V shaped pieces of wood, but the half plate is held without stress).

post-29661-0-42251100-1319317630_thumb.jpg

post-29661-0-67947400-1319317686_thumb.jpg

post-29661-0-51162600-1319317706_thumb.jpg

post-29661-0-53845300-1319317723_thumb.jpg

Your latest, Jacob? Do you frequently do baroque style instruments? I don't recall seeing one in the past.

Hi Chet,

Not as frequently as I would like.

Recent Strad copy 1695...pics of original and copy were done in different lights. Third pic is the 'copy' in 'natural' light

Wow...

Very nice, Jacob!

In particular, I like the subtle wear of the varnish. It reminds me of what MD does - the appearance of a 50 year old, well cared for violin... How did you go about the antiquing? Did you varnish it completetly and took off some varnish afterwards?

Very nice, Jacob!

In particular, I like the subtle wear of the varnish. It reminds me of what MD does - the appearance of a 50 year old, well cared for violin... How did you go about the antiquing? Did you varnish it completetly and took off some varnish afterwards?

Hi Roland,

The shading was done by means of variable application, I didn't remove any varnish afterwards.

The shading was done by means of variable application, I didn't remove any varnish afterwards.

Jacob, the back is a little pink for my taste.

My eyes favour the tones of the recent Cockburn/Ertz colours.

No.1 up and running...dimensions and arching based on the 1709 Viotti

Wow, very nice, especially for #1. How's the sound?

After completing my first instrument a viola, I laboured under the misapprehension that I could actually build a cello in a reasonable amount of time. Working in high tech and learning the skills of a luthier are not always compatible from a time management perspective!

I'm going to let this rest for a while and start into a violin.

Chris

post-45462-0-78178500-1319652857_thumb.jpg

post-45462-0-15601800-1319652876_thumb.jpg

I pretty much do set-ups and smaller repairs for the local kids now. I also invent a few violin tools for my own use. Anymore I cant find any room on my bench!!!!

D@mn fine looking set up there George!

(Is this a "where's Georges Bench" exercise?)

If I bring the Guiness Extra Stout - can I come work in your garage for a weekend?

(Not really - I don't think I'd know where to start...)

After completing my first instrument a viola, I laboured under the misapprehension that I could actually build a cello in a reasonable amount of time. Working in high tech and learning the skills of a luthier are not always compatible from a time management perspective!

I'm going to let this rest for a while and start into a violin.

Chris

Nice work.

I believe you've got "the eye" for doing this.

Are you a sculptor? Those are some prety mature lines - can we see a side view?

Nice work.

I believe you've got "the eye" for doing this.

Are you a sculptor? Those are some prety mature lines - can we see a side view?

Thanks for your kind words! I'm not a sculptor but I work in a software company that develops some of the leading 3D software for the design and entrainment industries.

Frankly, I'm quite embarrassed to even post my work given the quality of much of the work I see from you guys. Not to mention the god-like stature of many of the makers that post here. -- Got to get out of my shell I guess if i'm going to learn and grow

Don't have a photo of the finished side -- this one is early on before the chamfering, throat and peg box were cleaned up. (Also the colors may have shifted when the files were uploaded -- the white balance and black levels look off in my previous post)

Thanks!

Chris

post-45462-0-89025800-1319672470_thumb.jpg

D@mn fine looking set up there George!

(Is this a "where's Georges Bench" exercise?)

If I bring the Guiness Extra Stout - can I come work in your garage for a weekend?

(Not really - I don't think I'd know where to start...)

You bring the stout, and I'll watch you work!