Maestronet Forums

Could this be a real Jacob Raymann??!?! PLEASE COMMENT!!!

GoldenPlate

Hello Everyone,

I found this violin on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-violin-antique-English-label-Jacob-Raymann-Southwork-London-/120793370635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1fd8900b#ht_16972wt_1270

I tried to find pictures of the violin from this maker, but could not find any.

It appears that he was the founder of English violin making and his violins are among the rarest in existence..

The following are the descriptions of his violins from different sources:

"RAYMANN (Jacob)- London, circa 1630 A Tyrolese who established himself in England and in all probability was the first to make a violin in that country. His work is a little primitive but his varnish particularly fine. This is yellow brown, slightly tinted with red. Flat model. The scroll, although well carved, is not in proportion with the body of the instrument."

"Rayman =(Raymann) Jacob: London, b 1620 d. after 1691. It has been asserted, but not proved, that he came to London from the Tyrol. However, the fact is that his instruments differ from those built in London at that time. His model has characterstics of Jacob Stainer as well as of Maggini. His varn is beautiful, yellow-brown with a touch of red, his f-holes and scrolls are small but well cute, the finish less fine. The tone of his instruments shows that he was a good maker. He was one of the earliest professional v.ms in England."

COULD THIS BE REAL!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Does that look a well-done scratch graft to anyone else? It certainly looks to me as tho the grain continues thru it. And the back of the head looks a bit wide for the time, doesn't it? Aren't they mostly more pinched-looking, from then?

That label looks a xerox that's been scuffed up a bit. Typeface looks anachronistic, too.

Nice looking fiddle, though.

Hello Everyone,

I found this violin on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-violin-antique-English-label-Jacob-Raymann-Southwork-London-/120793370635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1fd8900b#ht_16972wt_1270

I tried to find pictures of the violin from this maker, but could not find any.

The BVMA in their book "The British Violin" from the exibition in the Royal Acdemy of Music, London, 1998 picture 3 Rayman instruments from 1641, 1645 & 1650.

The ebay one looks like a poor saxon one, 150/200 years later to me, although I am wary of contradicting Peter, perhaps he would like to have another look. What Steverino would call "the usual rubbish"

The BVMA in their book "The British Violin" from the exibition in the Royal Acdemy of Music, London, 1998 picture 3 Rayman instruments from 1641, 1645 & 1650.

The ebay one looks like a poor saxon one, 150/200 years later to me, although I am wary of contradicting Peter, perhaps he would like to have another look. What Steverino would call "the usual rubbish"

I think you guys are right. I mistakenly saw the quirky ff's as vaguely Pamphilon , but really nothing convincing enough to place that fiddle anywhere else than Bohemia.

Don't drink and Maestronet.

How does a real Raymann's look like?

I felt like the one I posted has a better looking. But that's just me.

Is the button "repair" done with car body filler? almost beats Mr. Hounds "brick"

• 3 weeks later...

This appears to have been "sold" again by the infamous ihaformosa - did he buy it and put it back on Ebay or is he lurking on maestronet? The clues are all there if you like that sort of thing .......

A familiar face

I predict it will be up for sale again very soon ......

He/she/it didn't quote me saying "The ebay one looks like a poor saxon one, 150/200 years later to me,........What Steverino would call "the usual rubbish" did they!

Sorry, Martin, I'm a bit thick as is well known. Do I understand correctly that you might possibly be deducing a connection between the shadowy, elusive eBay seller "ihaformosa" and the OP of this thread? I.e., if you were describing the issue in algebraic terms would your formula be something like (Given that ihaformosa = x and caspace = y, therefore x=y.) (?) I await your elucidation of this matter so that I might better grasp it; mathematics were never my strongest suit.

As for Jacob's comment, all I can (safely) respond at this juncture is that it reflects a sort of eastern pedagogical attitude toward me which I discuss in some initial detail in my just updated 'about me' page. Every Zen master has his own peculiar methodology, as has been observed.

I have to make some gruel now, talk to you later.

Regards.

Steve

Sorry, Martin, I'm a bit thick as is well known. Do I understand correctly that you might possibly be deducing a connection between that the shadowy, elusive eBay seller "ihaformosa" and the OP of this thread? I.e., if you were describing the issue in algebraic terms would your formula be something like (Given that ihaformosa = x and caspace = y, therefore x=y.) (?) I await your elucidation of this matter so that I might better grasp it; mathematics were never my strongest suit.

As for Jacob's comment, all I can (safely) respond at this juncture is that it reflects a sort of eastern pedagogical attitude toward me which I discuss in some initial detail in my just updated 'about me' page. Every Zen master has his own peculiar methodology, as has been observed.

I have to make some gruel now, talk to you later.

Regards.

Steve

Actualy we were speculating that your true identity is not Steve, but John and that your (secret) surname begins with a "T"