Maestronet Forums

looking for recording suggestions

Christineka

My family listens to the classical radio station as well as the same old cds we've owned for 12+ years. I think it is time for new music. I've decided to start by adding recordings specifically of the instruments my children play, so they can hear how professionals sound. I admit, I've never particularly cared for solo string instruments, but perhaps I just haven't listened to the right music. I would like good quality recording suggestions of solo violin and solo viola, preferably the kind of music that doesn't make you fall asleep. You know, something a kid might enjoy. My daughters are still in the elementary level, so if there are any recordings of early intermediate music, that might be good.

I would suggest to subscribre for an account on Spotify or any other streaming music provider that may have a large collection of published classical music online. I pay something equivalent to $20 a month for an account. I can then listen to the music on my IPhone, or any of my computers as long as I'm logged only on to the service from one of the devices at the time, I think.

There is a nice collection of Perlmans recordings, Anne Sophie Mutter, Nigel Kennedy, Kreisler, recordings. Maybe the film music is easiest to approach for a young musichian? It is interesting to hear Perlman play Kletzmer music as well.

Mutch of Kreislers music is fun to listen to, but the sound may not be up to todays standards.

My family listens to the classical radio station as well as the same old cds we've owned for 12+ years. I think it is time for new music. I've decided to start by adding recordings specifically of the instruments my children play, so they can hear how professionals sound. I admit, I've never particularly cared for solo string instruments, but perhaps I just haven't listened to the right music. I would like good quality recording suggestions of solo violin and solo viola, preferably the kind of music that doesn't make you fall asleep. You know, something a kid might enjoy. My daughters are still in the elementary level, so if there are any recordings of early intermediate music, that might be good.

I can't give you a source but I think there are recordings of the standard Suzuki Method pieces by professional players if not star soloists.

I'll second Anders's recommendation of Perlman's Klezmer recording. I think Perlman also made a recording of violin arrangements of Scott Joplin rags, again something that could appeal to young people.

For what it's worth I wouldn't sell children short as far as liking more serious pieces is concerned. At the age of nine my favorite music pieces were the Mendelssohn violin concerto and Beethoven violin concerto. Favorite recordings of these pieces were Heifetz.

Paganini Caprices (solo violin) Bach Sonata's & Partitas, and Solo Suites (Violin, and Viola/Cello respectively). The piece that captured me when I was about 7 or 8 was the Mendelssohn Violin concerto, I was totally hynotized by it.

There is nothing boring about any of these works.