Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey Holmes

If you are uploading photos, please read!

If you plan to add photos of an instrument (or anything else) to the site, please size the images before uploading. If the image is larger than the average high res screen, it's very difficult to view (can only be accomplished by scrolling). If you need to illustrate a detail, please crop your shot.

Thank you!

If you plan to add photos of an instrument (or anything else) to the site, please size the images before uploading. If the image is larger than the average high res screen, it's very difficult to view (can only be accomplished by scrolling). If you need to illustrate a detail, please crop your shot.

Thank you!

THANK YOU!!

If you use Internet Explorer 8 or 9 it will automatically resize the image to fit in your browser window. If you click the image again it will undo the resize and display in the original size. That is unless you have disabled this feature.

Disclaimer - no endorsement for Microsoft, Windows, IE or any other name you care to attach to the aforementioned products ;)

I only recently learned how to add photos! :( cropping??! how??

Cropping and sizing can be done with your image software (camera/photo software). Photoshop, iphoto or the software that came with your camera or photo printer for example.

If you use Internet Explorer 8 or 9 it will automatically resize the image to fit in your browser window. If you click the image again it will undo the resize and display in the original size. That is unless you have disabled this feature.

Disclaimer - no endorsement for Microsoft, Windows, IE or any other name you care to attach to the aforementioned products ;)

I assume this is feature applies when viewing, not when uploading?

I know how to crop in the computer after downloading. So am I supposed to include more than I want in the picture, then crop it to exactly what I want to show? I've been zooming in to get exactly what I want to show, then put that on line. Will this solve the problem?.....ie, zoom out, take pic, crop to what I really want, then post. It seems like my upload would be exactly the same size as before. ??

A simpler solution for me = don' t post any more pix. :)

I know how to crop in the computer after downloading. So am I supposed to include more than I want in the picture, then crop it to exactly what I want to show? I've been zooming in to get exactly what I want to show, then put that on line. Will this solve the problem?.....ie, zoom out, take pic, crop to what I really want, then post. It seems like my upload would be exactly the same size as before. ??

A simpler solution for me = don' t post any more pix. :)

Violon;

Some members have been uploading huge files, I assume either in an attempt to illustrate a specific detail or feature, or because they simply upload what their camera took or scanner captured without sizing or cropping. The average digital camera these days shoots at a rather high pixel count. That members not upload unsized (adjusted for the resolution of a computer screen) is what I'm asking.

Unaltered images (high resolution, large files) are simply a pain to view in most browsers They take up a lot of site memory, take longer to load, and I personally hate having to scroll all over the place to see 3 square inches of a violin at a time (and other members have expressed similar feeling to me personally, or within threads). If you capture or shoot only a detail, the file size is the same as if you shot a larger field, so it should still be adjusted. If you crop a larger image, the file size will be smaller (as you will be removing a certain amount of the field) and this image may, or may not need to be resized (depending on how much was cropped away).

Therefore, I ask members to please size the image appropriately, and if trying to provide better resolution for a specific feature when a larger field has been photographed, please crop the image. We don't need to see a huge format photo of the front of a violin if the member only wants us to be looking at a purfling corner.

Another solution is to upload photos to a image hosting sit, then provide a link to MN in your posts. Many of these image hosting sites automatically size the image for you.

I assume that may have simply uploaded the photos your camera took without sizing them in your last post/thread, but you were not the only cause of my posting this request. As the the cameras have gotten "better", this has become a more-often-reoccuring problem.

I assume this is feature applies when viewing, not when uploading?

Yes. I was just addressing the images that may have already been uploaded. I completely understand why you want posters to optimize their images for web viewing. I used to administer a forum. We put a size limit on uploads if nothing else for storage/bandwidth issues.

Yes. I was just addressing the images that may have already been uploaded. I completely understand why you want posters to optimize their images for web viewing. I used to administer a forum. We put a size limit on uploads if nothing else for storage/bandwidth issues.

Cool. Might help some of my own pain. :-) I'll see of the version is available for mac.

Thank you!

I would just add that the image size should be as small as possible to get across what you need to show. For a photo of a knife or gouge, you don't need to fill the screen. It does take time for all those pixels to get downloaded onto the screen, and pointless detail is not fun to wait for.

I would appreciate if people would not include a posted photo when they select "Reply".

Simply edit out the the code that links the photo. Look for "img" in brackets and erase it all the way to "/img" in brackets. A bracket is a squared parenthesis.

;)

My problem is just opposite to the message on this thread.

For a few weeks now, I have received only a very few posted photos.

Usually the photos are not displayed --- instead a note is displayed stating:

"Attached Thumbnail(s) "

Also I cannot access HTML or Smilies for posting.

;)

Attempts at "help" result in only only vague references which are of no help to a "non- Geek" like me such as:

<h4>Attached thumbnail(s)</h4>

Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions ? Sorry that this post is only borderline On Topic.

BTW, I use Firefox. TIA for any help!

Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions ? Sorry that this post is only borderline On Topic.

BTW, I use Firefox. TIA for any help!

Hi Jimbow;

Afraid I'm not sure I have an answer for you... but if you haven't done so already, check for updates in Firefox and double check that you're accepting cookies from known websites. If the problem persists, write the forum administrator (ghunt).

Jimbow, check your settting for Tools -> Options -> Content -> Load images automatically. If it's not checked, and you don't have an exception for Maestronet (under the Exceptions button next to it), then that explains why you're seeing image references rather than images. If you want to see all images, check the 'load automatically' box. If you're only willing to see Maestronet's, open the Exceptions list and add 'maestronet.com'

Hope that helps.

Jimbow, check your settting for Tools -> Options -> Content -> Load images automatically. If it's not checked, and you don't have an exception for Maestronet (under the Exceptions button next to it), then that explains why you're seeing image references rather than images. If you want to see all images, check the 'load automatically' box. If you're only willing to see Maestronet's, open the Exceptions list and add 'maestronet.com'

Hope that helps.

Hi bean_fidhleir,

I am pleased to report ( thrilled, actually!! ) that your analysis and recommended solution for my blocked image problem was spot on and everything is now back to normal .... a great relief!

Thank you very much for your expert help.

Jim

Can anyone explain how to post a series of images, such that each one has a little arrow embedded at the side which lets the viewer move on to the next in the series? Thanks.

Ed

Can anyone explain how to post a series of images, such that each one has a little arrow embedded at the side which lets the viewer move on to the next in the series? Thanks.

Ed

I can't explain how to do it, because my pictures alway come up this way automatically. I don't have to do anything.

I can explain it if you really want me to, but the amount of work for anyone on our side of Maestronet's forum software is all out of proportion to any benefit, believe me.

Apropos sizing images, one thing that is often confusing is the way windowing software (not just Windows, but also the various flavors that run under Unix, on the Mac, etc) will seem to produce a "free" resize without any effort on our part.

The bad part about that is that it's not really resizing at all except visually during the display process. To get an apparent size reduction to (e.g.) 50%, it will ignore every other row and column of pixels. Or to get 25%, it ignores 3 out of every 4 rows/cols, and so forth. It's not discarding them, it's just not displaying them. So the image appears half (or a quarter or whatever) the size, linearly, than it really is, but the amount of space it takes up on disc and the amount of time to display it both remain the same.

To get true resizing requires a "raster graphic" editor, aka bitmap editor, such as Photoshop. GIMP seems to be a pretty competent editor too, tho clunky, and has the major advantage of being free. I've not done more than fool around with GIMP, since I own P'shop, but from what I've seen it should certainly work well for resizing and cropping images for Maestronet. There are other capable editors as well.

The process is simple, though tedious:

1. Load your image into the editor.

2. View the image at 100% size. This is important, since if what you're trying to show is too small, you have to resample upwards. Or, of course, if it's going to be too large even when cropped, you need to resample downwards. But if you can see the detail you want at 100%, and it's not too big, go to step 4 and crop.

3. If the detail is too small at 100% size, re-sample your image upwards. Try to do it by doubling (one pixel becomes four) or, if you must, tripling (one pixel becomes nine). The reason for that being that you want to avoid forcing the software to invent pixels by interpolation. That's where the blurring and artifacts come from.

If the detail will take up too much space even when cropped, resample downwards instead. Again, try to avoid forcing the software to invent pixels. The safest size is 50% (the software will discard every other row and column). Other relatively safe sizes are 80% (discard 1 of 5), 75% (discard 1 of 4), and even 25% (discard 3 of 4).

Bad sizes are the ones where the software can't discard a whole number of pixels. If you try to reduce to, say 2/3 size, that's 66%, there's no way to extract the excess 34 pixels per hundred evenly across the whole image, so the software tries to smooth things over by inventing, which never really ends well.

4. Using the selection tool, zero in on the important part of the image, copy, and paste creating a new image. Save off that image. Repeat til you've captured all the areas of interest and, finally, post them.

Hope that helps.

If you are using windows XP you can load this nifty powertoy from MSFT called 'image resizer'. It's the simplest way to resize. IMO

link here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp

The way you use it is to right click on a picture icon, a menu appears and you'll see the selection to 'resize' your picture. If you select multiples (using CNTL), it converts all selected. You will notice there are several choices? I think the 'small' would suffice for posting here. There is also a 'custom' resize selection wherein you may customize.

I found that it's best to put all your pictures in a folder, then use the tool, but before you do that, create another folder within the first and label it 'small' (or?). When the tool is finished, it places all the converted pics at the bottom of the large pics. Move them into this 2nd folder to keep them from mixing with the originals. Otherwise, it will organize them numerically, original; small; original; small; original; small; which, if you convert a bunch will make them difficult to herd - once you back out of the folder and go back in.

There is also one for Vista, but not in the same place. You'll have to search for it. Win7? I'd poke around I'm sure there's another one by now?

Disclosure: I have no vested interest in MSFT

Thank you!

I am not sure how to upload pics at all, can you please tell me?

Thought I would give this thread a shot. I've seen others asking how to post thumbnails of images that pop up and show the larger view and the ability to step through multiple images. But no answer how its being accomplished.

Anyone care to share the secret? B)

Thanks,

Joe