Maestronet Forums

Audio Output Power for Making Chladni Patterns

pt3

I used a 6 inch diameter speaker when I was testing modes.

The speaker should not be any larger than the antinode are you are driving... so I'd think that even smaller would be better, if you can get one that can handle enough power. And should be mounted as close as possible to the largest active area of the plate.

I would also recommend not putting any time or effort into this, as I see no way that diddling with Chladni patterns of the plates will get anywhere when it comes to properties of the assembled instrument.

The speaker should not be any larger than the antinode are you are driving... so I'd think that even smaller would be better, if you can get one that can handle enough power. And should be mounted as close as possible to the largest active area of the plate.

I'm not sure the physical size of the driver is overly important, the plate is excited by sympathetic vibration coupled through the air. Is it not?

I would also recommend not putting any time or effort into this, as I see no way that diddling with Chladni patterns of the plates will get anywhere when it comes to properties of the assembled instrument.

I can see the villagers with the scythes and pitch forks approaching your castle...

I'm not sure the physical size of the driver is overly important, the plate is excited by sympathetic vibration coupled through the air. Is it not?

If the speaker is too big, it will drive the opposite phase antinode too, thereby reducing the net effect. If you have a gigantic speaker, and the + and - nodes of the plate are about equal size, you won't get any energy into the mode you want to drive.

I can see the villagers with the scythes and pitch forks approaching your castle...

Naaah... I'm way too far out in the netherlands for them to get here.

I experimented with Chladni patterns with the cello I made. I don't know how many watts it was but it was extremely loud. I was in the garage and my wife was upstairs in the room farthest from the garage and was complaining about the noise. I was wearing my best hearing protection and it was bothering me. I think I used a couple 4-inch speakers. I was purely curious to see the patterns, not that I used their shape in any way to make any determination. The frequencies are of more interest though. If that is all you want, then you could try what I did which was tap the plate while holding a node and record it in audacity and then do a spectrum analysis.

You don't need a lot of power, but I don't think small computer speakers will work. I used a 6 inch diameter speaker when I was testing modes. Are you planning to use the computer to generate the sound?

Thanks a lot!

I'm planning to use the software "Audacity" to generate sine wave signal from the computer and feed the signal to the external small sound boxes with power amplifier specially made for computer use (2 boxes, each with 3 loudspeakers one of which is of medium frequency, I think this one is suitable for mode M5 and the larger base speaker may be for determining mode 2 and mode 1), for instance, 20 watts output. Is that OK?