Maestronet Forums

What is this violin (Hungarian, Nemessanyi school?)

stephen maloney

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUARNERI-DEL-GESU-1741-/290607103993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a9887ff9#ht_2805wt_934

Appears to show more sophistication than the other recently discussed German copy.

(The pins in back, etc.)

Probably sounds good, though as a violin maker told

me just recently, "that and 2 bucks gets you a cup of coffee!".

;)

post-39490-0-05249900-1315330776_thumb.jpg

post-39490-0-75563200-1315330859_thumb.jpg

post-39490-0-78848700-1315330928_thumb.jpg

post-39490-0-21366500-1315331009_thumb.jpg

post-39490-0-88229300-1315331405_thumb.jpg

"you gotta love [John] Thornton [stradivari1719] for his effort (not really)."

Joseph

Not really, Joseph, if those efforts are deliberate attempts at deception. But this particular fiddle the J-man is advertising as a del Gesu is to my eye better than some of the rubbish he has posted recently. I actually think it's a nice violin.

Edit: As of this writing, eBay has removed both this and another of his violins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUARNERI-DEL-GESU-1741-/290607103993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a9887ff9#ht_2805wt_934

Appears to show more sophistication than the other recently discussed German copy.

(The pins in back, etc.)

Probably sounds good, though as a violin maker told

me just recently, "that and 2 bucks gets you a cup of coffee!".

;)

Dear Steverino,

I think another question is more important: would you (or anybody around) be able to recognize a previously undetected GDG violin? (and put your money where your mouth is...as I think, goes the saying...) ;)

Cheers,

T.

Dear Steverino,

I think another question is more important: would you (or anybody around) be able to recognize a previously undetected GDG violin? (and put your money where your mouth is...as I think, goes the saying...) ;)

Cheers,

T.

You mean the same way I could recognize that you and jmannsback are one and the same person or something like that?

Probably not.

;)

I see this violin is back up on ebay, now with a starting price of $100,000 and described as a Guarneri del Gesu!

To be honest it reminds me most of the Lembock that sold in the March Sothebys sale, but purely because of the varnish colour and the rather excessive blackening around the edges.

Maybe if we keep talking about it the price will go up to 1MILLION!!

Not really, Joseph, if those efforts are deliberate attempts at deception. But this particular fiddle the J-man is advertising as a del Gesu is to my eye better than some of the rubbish he has posted recently. I actually think it's a nice violin.

Edit: As of this writing, eBay has removed both this and another of his violins.

is that a fact? or just a figment of your wishful thinking?

funny you said that because the listings never disappeared from my watch list;

and what sort of violins do you consider rubbish? "Strads are so yesterday"... as you wittily stated....

can you produce something finer that what stradivari1719 is offering?

can you post a link to any other ebay listing showing a finer violin?

can you PROVE that Jed Murphy (a highly competent professional luthier) is a fraud and a conman?

can you PROVE that the seller (stradivari1719) is a fraud? Can you PROVE anything at all?

have you ever owned a decent fiddle? Do you even own a fiddle case?

have you ever played a Guarneri del Gesu? from any period?

have you ever so much as held one in your hands?

Can you produce any high resolution photographs of a fine violin from Cremona? Brescia? Bozollo? Firenze? Pisa? Mantua? Milian? Naples? Parma? Rome? Turin? Venice? Have you ever so much as photographed a fine classical period instrument? in your own home? or had them taken by a professional photo studio?

Have you ever been asked to identify a violin that no expert could, or would even try?

Probably not, but whatever.....

A 'top notch' dealer in the UK, just a few days ago, got caught telling a bald faced lie (to the wrong person).

Jmann